Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterford winding up order

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    I'd presume a good chunk of that 50k owed is from his Defamtion claim rather then breach of contract as the compensation awarded in defamtion cases are usually substantial.

What is the situation with Waterford's other creditors?I know in cases like this where it's a single creditor who brings a petition, the Court is usually unwilling to grant the order if the other creditors don't wish for it to be wound up.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCdfc View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks that the quoted text above implies that they conned the licence system. They appealed it so that they wouldn't have outstanding debt to former staff? They then withdrew the appeal once they got their licence....
    Yep looks like that doesnt it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Statement from Waterford Chairman John O'Sullivan contradicts what Henderson said today in the papers.

http://www.beat102103.com/news-and-s...d-be-in-crisis

Stephen Henderson says he's sad to see things come to this.

He claims the club has not engaged in negotiations, leaving him with no other option:

"Simply put, lack of communication I suppose, that's pretty much where were are at the moment. Nobody wants to go down this road. I certainly don't. I'm as disappointed, disgusted, and broken hearted that it's come to this stage to be brutally honest with you. All we needed to do was have a conversation, and these conversations never took place."

Meanwhile Waterford United Chairman John O'Sullivan has been speaking ahead of an emergency board meeting tonight, he says the club simply can't afford to pay:

"Excuse me, there was negotiations. The main reason is that the club don't have the money, number one, and everybody knows that no league of Ireland club will have the guts of fifty thousand in their back pocket so, what we have to try and do is organise to raise the money to try and get it. There's over 26 people employed by the club so, if it happens and they go, what a shame that would be so, we're gonna do our best to try and keep it going."

4. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Mad situation. Looks bleak but then these things always do. Hope Waterford pull through.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    Question that should be asked is why he was sacked in the first place!!
    But people are looking for Tommy Dunne to be sacked from City and Henderson was in a much worse state than Dunne is right now. I thought it was a knee-jerk reaction at the time but it was looking bleak for the Blaahs at that time if you were a glass half empty type person. Its hard to say really, given the board at the time would have far more visibility than we would but in this case in particular i thought they were robbed in a load of games, narrowly missing out on points that could have changed things, certainly didn't seem to be a total 'doomed' situation that would warrant a sacked so early in the season.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    Statement from Waterford Chairman John O'Sullivan contradicts what Henderson said today in the papers.

http://www.beat102103.com/news-and-s...d-be-in-crisis[/

"Excuse me, there was negotiations. The main reason is that the club don't have the money, number one, and everybody knows that no league of Ireland club will have the guts of fifty thousand in their back pocket so, what we have to try and do is organise to raise the money to try and get it. There's over 26 people employed by the club so, if it happens and they go, what a shame that would be so, we're gonna do our best to try and keep it going."
    They should have thought of that before they fired him.
    These are the old school tactics used by League of Ireland clubs for decades which explains the condition of the League of Ireland.
    They don't work any more. It seems that Waterfords idea of negotiations is "We don't have any money so p*** off"
    You can't fire someone & then pretend they resigned.
    Some people are suggesting that this be done to Tommy Dunne at Cork City.
    Let this case be a warning to any other club trying a similar tactic.

It seems that Henderson used the courts as a last resort.
    It also seems that there are meaningful negotiations taking place now between Waterford & Henderson ?
    Pity they didn't do it before they got caught with his legal fees as well.
    Last edited by A face; 20/06/2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Fixed quotes

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    They should have thought of that before they fired him.
    Exactly ... and clubs would do well to sign managers and players on contracts that they can afford, if you cant afford a three year contract then do sign them up on it.

These are the old school tactics used by League of Ireland clubs for decades which explains the condition of the League of Ireland.
    They don't work any more. It seems that Waterfords idea of negotiations is "We don't have any money so p*** off"
    You can't fire someone & then pretend they resigned.
    Some people are suggesting that this be done to Tommy Dunne at Cork City.
    Let this case be a warning to any other club trying a similar tactic.
    If the league is dragged up kicking and screaming then so be it i suppose. Administrators need to verse themselves in employment law it seems, if its not fair in any other industry then its not fair in football.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/art...way-henderson/

That it took a winding up order to get to this point is very concerning.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    More embarrassment for the club courtesy of their chairman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    It seems he just used this petition as a final resort to make them sit up and listen. Their chairman's excuse that the money simply wasnt' there doesn't exactly justify not being willing to pay up.
    Some of the Waterford fan's reactions have been a bit over the top, calling him a money hungry scumbag etc....I wasn't aware Waterford were a law onto themselves..
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I can understand why some Waterford fans would be upset, but unless Henderson is outright lying about the lack of negotiations or the nature of his dismissal, I can't see how he is in the wrong here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Some of the Waterford fan's reactions have been a bit over the top, calling him a money hungry scumbag etc....I wasn't aware Waterford were a law onto themselves..
    That would appear to be a very small minority of fans. Most of the comments even on our own forum (which would be the home to the most, er, enthusiastic of our supporters, myself included) are despairing of this, and other, situations the club finds itself in.

Personally, I tend to always take the side of an employee in these situations. The fact that it's a football club, or even that its my football club, is largely irrelevant. If someone has a contract, and in the definite absence of gross misconduct or a clear resignation, then the employer must pay, and it appears that's what the court felt too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gormacha View Post
    it appears that's what the court felt too.
    Nothing on the WUFC forum about why defamation was awarded to him - does anyone know what the story is with that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDoc View Post
    Nothing on the WUFC forum about why defamation was awarded to him - does anyone know what the story is with that?
    Wasn't sought by Henderson or his legal team I believe, was added to award by the case judge. Apparently from a statement the club out out.
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue til i die View Post
    Wasn't sought by Henderson or his legal team I believe, was added to award by the case judge. Apparently from a statement the club out out.
    Now that is bizzare!! Club defames ex-employee in court during a severance hearing compounding costs, Have I misunderstood this? If not how damn stupid!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Are Waterford Fans looking to set up a Supporters Trust just in case the worst happens?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainee View Post
    Are Waterford Fans looking to set up a Supporters Trust just in case the worst happens?
    Its not easy but I hope they do because it seems the only way to run a League of Ireland club properly.
    Waterford like a lot of League of Ireland clubs have lurched from one disaster to another over the years & it always ends in tears.
    I just wish clubs would cut their cloth according to their measure even if this means being on the wrong end of the league.
    You cannot spend more than you earn as sooner or later it will catch up with you.
    I'm sure all our clubs have been in dire straits at one time or another & I hope Waterford make it out of this..

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't understand why a First Division club ever thought it was a good idea to give a manager a 2-year contract with the state the league's in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I don't understand why a First Division club ever thought it was a good idea to give a manager a 2-year contract with the state the league's in.
    First Division club in bad decision shocker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    If the First Division lasts, I can see it becoming an non-professional tier entirely.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast