Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Waterford To Be Wound Up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Question Waterford To Be Wound Up?

Heard from a reliable source tonight that Waterford United could be wound up in the courts some time later this week for failure to pay monies owed to Stephen Henderson. He won a breach of contract and defamation case against them last year and since then Waterford have failed to pay what the court judged he was owed.

His solicitors have apparently been trying to contact the club and their solicitors for the last six or seven months to work out a payment plan etc but nobody has been willing to even return phone calls or letters, never mind start paying him. Instead, they have just ignored the court order so further legal action seems to be the only choice left.

They also owe Gary Dunphy 12k from his case against them a few weeks back and on top of that another former member of their management team has a case coming up against them next week.

Doesn't look good for them unfortunately. Any Waterford fans able to shed any more light on this?
    Last edited by The Lilywhites; 11/06/2013 at 2:01 AM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Hoping this doesnt happen. Would make what is already a poor league even worse. Out of curiosity what would happen with the games they already played if this did happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    The whole lot expunged I think. Goals scored included.
    Sporting F*ck All!

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I remember that before the start of the season that WUFC fans were saying it would be difficult for them to remain viable in the first division if it kept the same structure (which it did), but hopefully this is just a groundless rumour.

This would be the last thing anybody needs.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Heard a similar rumour when we played in Dundalk a couple of weeks ago. Dunno is it the same rumour, but hope it doesn't come to it obviously. If we lose Salthill Devon as well, as there's hardly any point keeping two divisions.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I doubt they'll be wound up straight away but they're going to have to try and come up with some way of paying Henderson. Were they not talking of appealing that decision? I take it that didn't happen?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Hard to feel sorry for them after the antics in the close season. Could be Dundalk in this situation

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    If Waterford go bust, that is two large towns (they're not cities), Galway and Waterford is a mess.

I hope it doesn't come to that but I keep getting the impression that Waterford is being managed poorly as a club. Their playoff antics last season were embarrassing. Now they think they can ignore court ordered compensation payments.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    John Delaneys home town club. Too embarrassing for him to let Waterford wind up? Or would he care. Wouldn't like to see another club (RSC looked decent on MNS for our LC game too).
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I hope it doesn't come to that but I keep getting the impression that Waterford is being managed poorly as a club.
    If they were run properly, they should really be getting promoted this year.. Or at least battling it out...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    John Delaneys home town club. Too embarrassing for him to let Waterford wind up? Or would he care. Wouldn't like to see another club (RSC looked decent on MNS for our LC game too).
    What do you suggest he do? Lamp in half a million for them to blow it? In too many countries the head of the federation/association has very distinct bias or worse, he's actively profiting from capping players or supporting his own club (especially in Eastern Europe), JD has to do only what he's done for other clubs in the country - full in the blank here.

Disappointed with the news on Waterford, I'm too young to have known their "glory days" but they've always been a decent group to deal with. The play off was annoying with their behaviour, though as mentioned before, there but for the grace of god.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    What do you suggest he do?
    Get involved in developing a situation where a league club isn't going belly up every year or so.

16. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    If they were run properly, they should really be getting promoted this year.. Or at least battling it out...
    Heard Paul O'Brien is owed a significant amount of wages too though as ever that could be just a rumour.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Heard Paul O'Brien is owed a significant amount of wages too though as ever that could be just a rumour.
    I heard he was working for free, so wouldn't be owed anything

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    What do you suggest he do? Lamp in half a million for them to blow it? In too many countries the head of the federation/association has very distinct bias or worse, he's actively profiting from capping players or supporting his own club (especially in Eastern Europe), JD has to do only what he's done for other clubs in the country - full in the blank here.

What are you asking me for, all I did was ask would it be an embarrassment for the guy who is head of football in this country to have his local team go under. Never mentioned money either. If you want to have a rant on Eastern Europe fair enough, but how you got to that based on what I wrote I don't know. On the bit you say about 'JD has to do only what he's done for other clubs in the country', well that could go either way and maybe depends on the club! - Drogheda were helped out by FAI when they bought United Park, while it would seem other clubs got less support (Monaghan folding while JD is drunk in a square in Poland!)
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Folks,

Do people just ignore the rules around here for the craic these days. I would have thought the case the Wicklow side would have kept it fresh in people's minds

http://foot.ie/faq.php?faq=rules

And for those too lazy to click the link

"Rumours & Allegations
    There's too many "I heards" and "someone saids" on football sites, which is often damaging to the clubs and people involved. There's plenty of news sites out there, plenty of people in authority willing to be quoted, plenty of mobile phones with cameras, plenty of sites where pictures and videos can be posted. So there's no excuse for posting rumour and innuendo any more, and every opportunity to make the news yourself. Take a photo or a video, ask someone for a quote, or post a scan or a link to a news article. Alternatively, keep your mouth shut on Foot.ie, or you'll be out on your ear."

Thread locked, unless OP can produce evidence.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season