Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Spain V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 12 June 2013 - Friendly - Yankee Stadium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    you could make the same arguements about the games in May/June 2011 after beating the North and Scotland in the Carling Nations Cup, then Macedonia in a qualifier, and then Italy in a friendly.
    apart from Italy, they were wins over poor sides with solid defensive play, but it set the team up well for the qualifiers in September and October.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post

I think people are getting carried away with a 2 goal loss and some wins against mediocre opposition. I'm not moaning I'm just stating fact. The real test will come against Austria and Sweden and apart from gaining confidence from winning, I don't see any difference in the performance or the difficulty of the task at hand in september based on Traps team and formation, now than I did 3 weeks ago, with the exception of the introduction of Hoolahan and the hope he will start in September.

Btw I just spoke with my Spanish colleague who said the Spanish media reported, that when Ireland went 1-0 down they actually looked to play a bit and became a bit more open, which made their task easier, but also that they became more aggressive(not in a good way), he also said they felt that it could have easily been 3 or 4-0.
    I think it's funny how when we lose 2-0 many say it should have been more, Spain were that good and aren't they the bee's knees. But when we beat the Faroes 3-0 and it should have been more (I can think of at least 3 gilt-edged chances in the first half) many say we laboured to victory and we were awful.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I didn't say we were awful and i thought we could have had more, hoolahan was a highlight, and great to see keane score. But it all needs to be seen in perspective of what it actually is, the whole lot.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Has anyone got carried away?

And I said "many said we were awful". Many did.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    However, we can't rule out the possibility that somebody will get carried away, in the near or distant future.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    I think the summer games have us in good heart going into Sept, the players and fans, however there's still that Wales friendly in August to avoid upsetting the apple cart psychologically before Sept. I'm actually curious to know where the team stands against a supposedly improving? Wales team.
    I'd like to think man for man we have more about ourselves than Wales... obviously they have a world class player in Bale...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    We would want to have more about us than Wales if we have any hope of qualifying.

I watched the last 25 minutes last night. I'd agree with what my colleague at work had said the spanish media reported, we became a bit niggly and over-aggressive, but we also opened up more and attacked more. Sammon was involved a lot more in the last 25 and he did have some nice touches, none in the air, well with his head anyway, they were all with his feet, I counted 4 in total, but he put a great ball through for McCleans chance, perhaps McClean should have squared it for Cox. I thought quinn got about a lot more in those 25 mins than hendrick did in the whole half. How much of it is down to a change in our attitude or the Spanish players after going 1-0 I'm not sure, I'd put it more down to the spaniards happy to sit back. McCarthy became more involved in the last 15 minutes and looked good, so overall he probably did show a good attitude.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'd put the 2 goals down to slight lapses, we should have done better for the second and the first.

Here is what they had in the indo about McCarthy:

JAMES MCCARTHY (7)

He rose to the occasion at Wembley, producing a controlled display and Trapattoni reckoned he was Ireland's star man in the Georgia rout. Mixed bag against the Spanish that will stand to his development.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    We would want to have more about us than Wales if we have any hope of qualifying.

I watched the last 25 minutes last night. I'd agree with what my colleague at work had said the spanish media reported, we became a bit niggly and over-aggressive, but we also opened up more and attacked more. Sammon was involved a lot more in the last 25 and he did have some nice touches, none in the air, well with his head anyway, they were all with his feet, I counted 4 in total, but he put a great ball through for McCleans chance, perhaps McClean should have squared it for Cox. I thought quinn got about a lot more in those 25 mins than hendrick did in the whole half. How much of it is down to a change in our attitude or the Spanish players after going 1-0 I'm not sure, I'd put it more down to the spaniards happy to sit back. McCarthy became more involved in the last 15 minutes and looked good, so overall he probably did show a good attitude.
    I wouldnt read too much into what the Spanish media (or the sycophantic cabal of "cheerleader journalists" like Low, Ball and Chunter) say about the opposition, they tend to describe any team that has the temerity to tackle the Spanish team (or Spanish clubs) as niggly and over-aggressive - it is technically still a contact sport.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's nonsense anyway. There's was one rough-ish tackle on Sergio Busquets... but he deserves the occasional rough tackle.

As for the Indo, 7/10 is a pretty high rating for a mixed bag.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He did effectively provide an assist for the opening goal, but I am not sure if he if he could have done anything else.
    Maybe he could have spun round the other way, but the scorer was in a bit too much space for my liking anyway.
    Obviously it is difficult against player of that quality, they are pretty lethal.
    But we had our chances too, we scored once and McClean nearly scored, he could have squared it but I think he was
    entitled to have a shot, against another keeper it would have been in the net.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I thought O'Dea's clearance for the first goal was weak. Wasn't there a weak tackle in there too just beforehand?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    And people are surprised.

His club nickname isn't "Oh Dear", for nothing. That said he does have the occasional stormer of a game.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    And people are surprised.

His club nickname isn't "Oh Dear", for nothing. That said he does have the occasional stormer of a game.
    At Toronto or Celtic?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Leeds and Celtic...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by christo View Post
    But why is it in Yankee stadium
    Looks like Yankees are trying to get into this soccer business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Bumping thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Closed thread.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011