Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Dublin 1916 Society set up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Dublin 1916 Society set up

Recently, in Dublin, a collection of republicans convened together to inaugurate a branch of the 1916 Societies. It was decided amongst those present to call the Society in honor of Seán Heuston, a prominent member of the Irish Volunteers and Fianna Eireann, who was executed for his part in the 1916 Rising against British rule in Ireland.

The branch has dedicated itself to promoting the ideals and principles of the Irish Proclamation of Independence and to supporting the wider organisation of the 1916 Societies.

It has been agreed that we will initiate the undertaking of a mural in Dublin for each of the seven signatories of the 1916 Proclamation of Independence before the year 2016. It will be a huge undertaking and we will looking for the support of the people of Dublin to make these murals a reality, honoring those who sacrificed their lives for the people of this city and country.

The 1916 societies are founded on the principles of the 1916 proclamation and is dedicated to their promotion. It is an independent organisation which gives no allegiance or favour to any political organisation. Individual members my favour or indeed be involved with political organisations but the 1916 societies as a collective body will remain independent.

Membership of the 1916societies shall be open to any Irish republican regardless of race, age, gender, sexual orientation or ability, except those who endorse British rule and accept the crown forces as a legitimate force in Ireland.

Anyone interested in helping to promote republicanism and the ideals of the Proclamation, can contact us directly at dublin1916Society@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SeanHeustonDublin1916Society

Twitter: https://twitter.com/dub1916society

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiocfaidhArmani View Post
    The 1916 societies are founded on the principles of the 1916 proclamation and is dedicated to their promotion. It is an independent organisation which gives no allegiance or favour to any political organisation. Individual members my favour or indeed be involved with political organisations but the 1916 societies as a collective body will remain independent.

Membership of the 1916societies shall be open to any Irish republican regardless of race, age, gender, sexual orientation or ability, except those who endorse British rule and accept the crown forces as a legitimate force in Ireland.
    So, open to anyone regardless of political allegiance, unless it's any of the main stream parties that accept the will of the people regarding the north?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiocfaidhArmani View Post

Sigh...This is only going to get worse as we get closer to 2016 I fear.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    It's times like this when you breathe a sigh of relief that ArdeeBhoy is barred from this forum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Sigh...This is only going to get worse as we get closer to 2016 I fear.
    My visa to Canada has a maximum run out date of April 17th 2016... just in time for a weeks worth of celebrations leading up to the wretched celebration of the failure that was the Rising.

I better get a Canuck up the duff or something. Stu... sort that out!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    In fairness, to be overly revisionist and attempt to deny the importance of 1916 is probably as much a mistake as the triumphalism that reportedly accompanied the 1966 celebrations. The most important thing is arguably to mark it in context, as part of the historical fabric of centenaries that started with the 1912 Home Rule Bill and the Ulster Solemn Covenant, going through the Lockout, WW1, Somme etc, right up to the Treaty anniversary in 2021.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    In fairness, to be overly revisionist and attempt to deny the importance of 1916 is probably as much a mistake as the triumphalism that reportedly accompanied the 1966 celebrations. The most important thing is arguably to mark it in context, as part of the historical fabric of centenaries that started with the 1912 Home Rule Bill and the Ulster Solemn Covenant, going through the Lockout, WW1, Somme etc, right up to the Treaty anniversary in 2021.
    There's no denying the importance of the Rising. I just don't feel it's something to celebrate.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I see our old friend Tiocfaidh and his mates are planning a protest against Pepper at the Rovers-Dundalk game. Of all the companies who own distressed mortgages, however did he happen upon them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    The lad was good craic though. Let him have his fun.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Watched Claire Byrne last night, listened with interest and the "balance" and "roysh on" crowd, including John Bruton, is becoming surreal. "All victims of war are equal." Hmm, so an SS officer who oversaw the liquidation of the Warsaw Ghetto and who was subsequently killed in battle is the same as a Hungarian Jewish child murdered because of their ethnicity?

Just allow the commemoration happen and enjoy it.