Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LOI Series 15 & 12. Premier & 1st Division fixtures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    I suppose you're right.

What made me laugh though is the Rovers fans who were talking about euromillions and decade long LoI dominance are now content with league mediocrity and reachieving stability a couple of seasons later...not as funny as the Bohs situation to some, obviously, but funny nonetheless...!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Obviously the team lacks cutting edge and Croly has been rattled a few times but the football being played is light years ahead and if the board persevere then I think that will pay off eventually. The title this year is a write-off but Europe is a very realistic goal.
    So.......

The Rovers board should be patient with a manager and not have a knee jerk reaction if the style of football is better then before and/or shows potential - results don't really matter as long as Europe is a realistic possibility?

Is that a fair summary of what you are saying?

BTW, do you realise that last season under Stephen Kenny Shamrock Rovers had more points after 15 league games then this Croly led bunch have?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I suppose you're right.

What made me laugh though is the Rovers fans who were talking about euromillions and decade long LoI dominance are now content with league mediocrity and reachieving stability a couple of seasons later...not as funny as the Bohs situation to some, obviously, but funny nonetheless...!
    To be fair, a lot of that talk was coming from fans of rival teams. I had to selflessly pull a few out of their beer-soaked myopia myself. The Kenny experiment was an expensive and badly-handled mistake but luckily it hasn't damaged the fundamentals of the club too much. If Croly does manage to get it right, Rovers will be hard to catch and there have been a couple of false starts this season that suggest he's a lot closer than it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    So.......

The Rovers board should be patient with a manager and not have a knee jerk reaction if the style of football is better then before and/or shows potential - results don't really matter as long as Europe is a realistic possibility?

Is that a fair summary of what you are saying?

BTW, do you realise that last season under Stephen Kenny Shamrock Rovers had more points after 15 league games then this Croly led bunch have?
    Yes, if you ignore all the differences they are exactly the same.

Look, I appreciate Kenny is a good manager and a good for Dundalk. I always said he'd do well there. He seems to thrive when allowed to assemble a squad of promising young players with little expectation for success. With all due respect, the Rovers job is a completely different box of umbrellas.

It wasn't working under Kenny - the football was a dire regression on the previous manager and he seemed clueless on what type of football he wanted to play. Kenny is a reactive manager who makes his selection based on nullifying the opposition's strengths, which is completely fine and has worked for a great many managers, but at Rovers the expectation is that the team will go out and play its own game regardless of who is put in front of them. Michael O'Neill completely bought into that but Stephen Kenny didn't.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 29/05/2013 at 6:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Kenny is a reactive manager who makes his selection based on nullifying the opposition's strengths, which is completely fine and has worked for a great many managers, but at Rovers the expectation is that the team will go out and play its own game regardless of who is put in front of them. Michael O'Neill completely bought into that but Stephen Kenny didn't.
    Rovers is a big job. No one doubts that.

The Kenny you describe is not the one we have seen this season. Players have a lot of freedom to play and express themselves.

Given the quality of the players he had at Rovers, it is strange that he adopted such a conservative approach.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Rovers is a big job. No one doubts that.

The Kenny you describe is not the one we have seen this season. Players have a lot of freedom to play and express themselves.

Given the quality of the players he had at Rovers, it is strange that he adopted such a conservative approach.
    I'll bow to your superior knowledge as all I've seen of Dundalk this season is at Tallaght, but I'm going very much on what I saw at Derry too. I hear Dundalk dominated at the Showgrounds last night so perhaps he has turned over a new leaf.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Also, just realised UCD and Pats' next game is against each other again. Wonder how Students will try and psych themselves up for that one?
    I can hear Martin Russell's team talk now. "We're never going to lose 5-0 again"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234