Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Domestic Prospects

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts

Domestic Prospects

Would love for this thread to be kept respectful as I think it could be a useful tool to promote awareness of home-based players who many posters here wouldn't be aware of.

Maybe some parameters of links to articles/blogs only?

Either way, here is an article by Aidan Fitzmaurice (Bohs fan) talking to Dean Delaney about the current crop of Bohs youngsters.

Well worth a read as these guys could be the Seamus Coleman's of tomorrow.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/gr...-29281055.html

"It might seem like a big statement to make about a player who is so young but I can see someone like Luke Byrne going on to play for the senior international team, I really do," he said.
    keep telling these players that they are getting a great opportunity here at Bohemians. If they can get into the first team, do well and maintain some good form, it's a brilliant way to start their career.
    Last edited by SkStu; 23/05/2013 at 1:41 AM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Fitzmaurice. That's a great name.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Great idea and gives the likes of me an insight into the potential of players in the LOI. You have posted before about Luke Byrne, I think you have the hots for him!
    Last edited by gastric; 23/05/2013 at 3:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    The obvious prospects for the international team are basically the lads recently selected for the under 21 team and training panel, along with the likes of Ronan Finn and Chris Forrester.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Great thread.

I started one similar in the L.O.I section a few years ago, but I was hunted out of there under suspicion of being a UK spy and the thread would be the cause of more players being lost, despite loads of players having already gone over recently prior to this, without any thread to blame for it. It made me wonder if new people in L.O.I. grounds casually asking about players they have come to watch are subjected to the same wall of silence & suspicion, it's little wonder the keepers of the flame have the terraces largely to themselves.

David O'Leary at Limerick could play higher up. He always has that bit of time on the ball and continues to improve each time I get back to a game. I will look and see if I can link it but Brian Kerr was full of praise on a recent RTE broadcast. Vs Cork I think. Kerr was clearly surprised at how good O'Leary had been that day.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 23/05/2013 at 3:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The obvious prospects for the international team are basically the lads recently selected for the under 21 team and training panel, along with the likes of Ronan Finn and Chris Forrester.
    You have mentioned a young LB at Harps before, Coll, maybe. Is he still with the club ? And how is he doing this year if so?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Ciaran Coll is still at the club. Is most certainly capable of playing at a much, much higher level. Not sure about international prospects, but certainly capable of making it successfully across the water. A Seamus Coleman type full back.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I'd say the next six months are make and break for Finn in that regard. He's the same age Fahey was going to Birmingham and he's never really progressed beyond the fringes for Ireland. The sky is the limit for Forrester but I still fear he'll end up in League One getting outmuscled by players with only a fraction of his talent.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post

I started one similar in the L.O.I section a few years ago, but I was hunted out of there under suspicion of being a UK spy and the thread would be the cause of more players being lost, despite loads of players having already gone over recently prior to this, without any thread to blame for it. It made me wonder if new people in L.O.I. grounds casually asking about players they have come to watch are subjected to the same wall of silence & suspicion, it's little wonder the keepers of the flame have the terraces largely to themselves.
    Is this a joke?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    I can't see Finn being good enough for anything above league 1 level in England. I'm judging this based on what I've seen of him in several matches over the past two seasons including games against us where he often struggles to compete with Joey Ndo who is 38 years old. The last game in Tallaght was the only time I've seen him really put it up to Ndo But he was only back from a long spell of injury in that game.

Id agree Forrester has serious talent as well as a few on that Bohs team if they keep developing. A lot of the time it's not the skill levels that are lacking just the physical strength to hold your own when you step up a level imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    What about Shane Tracy on Limerick?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Can you post a link to this thread please?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    I can't see Finn being good enough for anything above league 1 level in England. I'm judging this based on what I've seen of him in several matches over the past two seasons including games against us where he often struggles to compete with Joey Ndo who is 38 years old. The last game in Tallaght was the only time I've seen him really put it up to Ndo But he was only back from a long spell of injury in that game.

Id agree Forrester has serious talent as well as a few on that Bohs team if they keep developing. A lot of the time it's not the skill levels that are lacking just the physical strength to hold your own when you step up a level imo.
    You could equally say the reason Ndo stands out in this league is his physical strength more than his individual skill, though he is undoubtedly very skillful as well. Finn just seems to have an awareness of what's around him and time on the ball that other players in the league don't have. I'd worry about Finn's physical prowess too, but I wondered the same about Fahey and he managed it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Can you post a link to this thread please?
    http://foot.ie/threads/148393-This-Y...Channel-Clubs)

Big gang of thank you's for razor on outing the 'spy'.

Super.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Is this a joke?
    No. See link.

But this thread could be a really good long running one and hopefully wont be hijacked totally by this, and will last longer also. Probably, I should have put the original in here rather than in the L.O.I. section.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

Super.
    You must be the thinnest-skinned person on the planet. 22 posts, 19 of which mentioned prsopsects like you had asked for. 17 of those posts came after you had been 'outed', in what was obviously a joke, given the line that followed. Jesus wept.

The link is there for anybody to read and see what nonsense you're spouting.

But go ahead and feel insulted.
    Last edited by osarusan; 23/05/2013 at 2:32 PM.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    You must be the thinnest-skinned person on the planet. 22 posts, 19 of which mentioned prsopsects like you had asked for. 17 of those posts came after you had been 'outed', in what was obviously a joke, given the line that followed. Jesus wept.

The link is there for anybody to read and see what nonsense you're spouting.

But go ahead and feel insulted.

Take it easy there sailor, would you, if you are getting this upset over something which doesn't affect you at all, or anyone really, maybe you need some breathing exercises or something.

Yes, the link is there, its there as I just put it there.

I was neither insulted, nor am I thin skinned, it brought a wry smile if anything, was all.

Whatever statistical breakdown you deemed fit to apply to it, a thread on our brightest young players lasted scarcely over a page at a time when movement of players was at an all time high, was my overriding point.

Hopefully this one fares better, which it wont if it's dragged off topic like this so maybe agree to differ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Hopefully this one fares better, which it wont if it's dragged off topic like this so maybe agree to differ.
    So stop talking ****e such as this

it's little wonder the keepers of the flame have the terraces largely to themselves.

This thread is pretty pointless though. You can't discuss "prospects" with people who haven't seen the players play. And everyone who has seen them play is already discussing them elsewhere
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

Super.
    I think you may have missed the thick layer of irony in that post.

I do think that thread goes to show just how few of the league's players are likely to make the jump across. Of those mentioned, I think only Stevens and Kearns have gone and neither have established themselves with their clubs, and that was over two years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    So stop talking ****e such as this
    It was a point made & left at that. A valid one also I feel, born out by the thread length.

You are a keeper of the flame Dodge, and getting a bit tetchy too by the looks of it.

Anyway, on and up and all that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast