Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: European Qualifying 2013.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dejadem View Post
    Feeling very excited to be going to a European tie again. Amazing when you consider where we were 2 seasons ago.
    Can't see us getting any sort of result though.
    Its some achievement. Enjoy the day. Hopefully Drogheda can keep the tie alive.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Was in Dalymount to see Drogs a couple of times for their European matches and much to my horror i found myself supporting them and jumping when they scored so by that form i hope they can get a result somehow!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Is there a live stream for the Drogs game anyone?
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Pats game being streamed by Bet365, paddy power and these lads; http://www.futbolo.tv/
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Good luck to Drogheda and St Pats tonight.

European days and nights are something very special for supporters. I know that I took these occasions for granted during the 20 years from the mid 70's onwards that Dundalk were regularly in Europe.

I envy all who will get the opportunity to support their club home or away in Europe - enjoy it while it lasts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I wonder will Sir Paul O'Shea be in here later with his annual lecture on how the LoI players are making simple mistakes are looking clueless ?

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    At least geysir won't be telling us how superior Icelandic football is this year
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Was hoping to get down to Tallaght tonight for the match, but can't make the trip this time sadly. Hope it goes well for both teams...and by that, I mean I hope they both draw and make me some money.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I never understand the League of Ireland love in every year when it comes to European games. Why would you care how other clubs get on, or worse support them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Because most of us love Irish football in general not just our own club, and hope to see it prosper...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Some people are secure enough in supporting their own team that they can wish other Irish teams well. It's a strange concept, I know.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    I never understand the League of Ireland love in every year when it comes to European games. Why would you care how other clubs get on, or worse support them?
    Because they're representing our country on the international stage, and we're not petty enough to let domestic rivalries poison that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Raising the bar can only help the league progress and prosper. Positive results for Irish teams also give our sides (including your own) a greater chance of progression in future years, at least in theory, due to the benefits of possessing a higher national co-efficient. In terms of standard, the league can only benefit as a whole from this, not to mention the increased exposure and enhanced profile that European progression can also bring for both the clubs directly involved and the league generally. I don't see how wishing all Irish clubs well in Europe could ever be a bad thing, unless you're afraid of enhanced competition.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I'm not saying hope everyone loses their games like some are suggesting, just why would you care? Its this typical Irish mentality of wanting to belong to something. I'd see it as been very unsecure in supporting your club Charlie in that you have this need to see success.

As for going to games of other clubs it's all a bit football hipsterish

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm not saying hope everyone loses their games like some are suggesting, just why would you care? Its this typical Irish mentality of wanting to belong to something. I'd see it as been very unsecure in supporting your club Charlie in that you have this need to see success.

If I had a need to see success I wouldn't be following Irish football. I like to see Irish clubs do well, as do other people around here. It's nothing to do with "wanting to belong to something," I'd just rather see those around me do well than not. I don't see Sligo winning a couple of European ties as a threat to my club (although obviously they'd actually have to win once first). You obviously see things differently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'm not saying hope everyone loses their games like some are suggesting, just why would you care? Its this typical Irish mentality of wanting to belong to something.
    That's a pretty common human mentality, no? Your own support of Limerick isn't based, at least in part, on some wish to belong to something? Not that that is necessarily why many League of Ireland supporters will support Irish clubs competing in Europe in general anyway.

Hipsterish? How so? Maybe one just likes watching live football? Even better if there's an Irish club involved.

Anyway, as I've already stated, European progression benefits Irish football as a whole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    It may be fairly unique that the fans of a domestic league hope their fellow league members do well, uniquely Irish and different, well why not! There is mutual benefit for cross league success in European competition.
    The main reason though is that none of us are going to advance so far that we will meet each other. If those days were to come then i will be happy to become the most bitter and hatefilled anti other LoI club in Europe fan there is!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts

I even go so far as to hope Limerick survives whether everything goes tits up financially.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I'd see it as been very unsecure in supporting your club Charlie in that you have this need to see success.

The only 'unsecure' crap I'm reading here is yourself.

You seem awfully jealous in a way.

It's not like I'll be seeing Harps any time soon in European action. It brings me a great sense of pride to see fellow LOI teams progressing in Europe. I don't care much for co-efficients or anything of the like. I'm just happy to see an Irish team progress as it's all for greater exposure of our league.

But then again, in an ideal world, we'd all laugh at teams losing, giving fuel to the fire of those folks in the bar calling Irish football crap. Because we all crave that.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    If I had a need to see success I wouldn't be following Irish football. I like to see Irish clubs do well, as do other people around here. It's nothing to do with "wanting to belong to something," I'd just rather see those around me do well than not. I don't see Sligo winning a couple of European ties as a threat to my club (although obviously they'd actually have to win once first). You obviously see things differently.
    this x1,000,000!

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast