Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: European Qualifying 2013.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Could Cliftonville play in, er, N-W England?
    Similar to when Bohs had to play outside Ireland v.some now defunct club...

Oops.
    It was Shels.
    Apologies...
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 24/06/2013 at 4:09 PM. Reason: Amnesia...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Why would they do that?

And it was Shels, not Bohs.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 24/06/2013 at 3:59 PM.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    It was Shels in Tranmere's ground. I think the final result was 5-3 to the other crowd after Shels had taken a 3-0 lead?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Ok, Shels then. More £ from playing in a bigger stadium, in a tie they're going to lose anyway...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Malmo are playing now at 6 at home to Effsbourg if anyone wants watch it, its on firstrow

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Surrender home advantage and vastly reduce your chances of getting a result in order to make a few bob? Sounds sensible.

Actually, knowing how the NI teams operate, they'll probably already be on the phone to John Delaney.
    Well, does a team who lost 6-2 in aggregate to the worst Cork City side of the last years has any chance of beating Celtic? Aviva would feel more like home than Windsor Park in my opinion.

As someone relatively recently arrived to Ireland, I ask, when and against who did Shels play their European Tie in England? And why? (cannot see any financial advantages for it)
    Last edited by luiz; 24/06/2013 at 5:38 PM.

8. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    They played Rangers in Tranmere Rovers' ground in 1998 for security reasons.

And then played GAA in Ibrox with no security concerns.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Sligo have a tough draw, even if Molde have had a slow start in their league campaign, but there's some hope.
    Couldn't be better for Iceland's 3 teams in the 1st round Europa league draw. Glentoran should be easy pickings for KR, probably looking at a 6 nil agg scoreline, it would be nice to put 5 goals past an Irish team in the home leg again, but unfortunately Bohs can't be with us this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    The Southend Park wall of the Brandywell is unsafe and access to the stand is limited, could be a big issue over us playing at home.
    For once maybe someone will call me "sir" without adding "you're making a scene."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Pyunik knocked Derry out a few seasons ago: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...sh/6916047.stm

They weren't a bad side. Derry were in a bit of a mess at the time, mind.
    True, though times have changed in Armenia. Pyunik had a very good side rhen and money, now they've been overtaken and the best youngsters flee the country before they fall apart with local clubs. Travel aside, I'd hope they face Pats as it'd be easier than Macedonia. Nothing worse that that hole mid summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horton View Post
    The Southend Park wall of the Brandywell is unsafe and access to the stand is limited, could be a big issue over us playing at home.
    Finn Park

Sligo Showgrounds ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Some tough draws today. Hopefully as the LoI European campaigns go on, we'll see a memorable win or two.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    True, though times have changed in Armenia. Pyunik had a very good side rhen and money, now they've been overtaken and the best youngsters flee the country before they fall apart with local clubs. Travel aside, I'd hope they face Pats as it'd be easier than Macedonia. Nothing worse that that hole mid summer.
    it can get hot alright, but cant imagine its worse than Armenia? getting there might be complicated but id still imagine its cheaper (Ryanair plus wizzair or buses from a few places) and as for the football; they were just relegated
    Im based in Belgrade atm so was hoping for some action anywhere in this fecking region... atm Tetovo is my only hope

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    They played Rangers in Tranmere Rovers' ground in 1998 for security reasons.

And then played GAA in Ibrox with no security concerns
    What was McCarthy doing? Remember watching this in the pub, was no big fan of $hels at the time, but was livid at those two ridiculous handballs. Didnt Pats draw 0-0 with Celtic in Glasgow same day? Second leg the goals went in late iirc so 7-3 was very flattering and against with a team with a couple of world cup winners in it. Advocats first game in charge.

Very tough draws but the ever reliable St Pats european run could happen, Sligo a maybe too. Derry cant see going through so from a domestic point of view an eye off the league could benefit Dundalk and Derry (if Dundalk are still in the hunt after the next 3 games away in Thomand, Brandywell and Turners Cross). Dont see why Drogs wouldnt have taken the cheaper, more convenient option of playing Malmo in Oriel Park? We played them in United park '96 as a new pitch was layed in Oriel.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 24/06/2013 at 8:19 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Very tough draws but the ever reliable St Pats european run could happen, Sligo a maybe too. Derry cant see going through. Dont see why Drogs wouldnt have taken the cheaper, more convenient option of playing Malmo in Oriel Park?
    lets not forget that wining 1 tie for sligo means 4 more games, wining 2 ties and losing the third is group stages of Europa League. but otherwise yea its asking for an upset...
    pity about Derry but i wont forget Drogs against Dynamo Kiev and how close they came... its a massive ask... but theres always hope
    and yea pity Drogs wont play in Louth, tallaght will seem empty i imagine...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Dont see why Drogs wouldnt have taken the cheaper, more convenient option of playing Malmo in Oriel Park? We played them in United park '96 as a new pitch was layed in Oriel.
    Only because they have a complex about Dundalk.

That is more important than making it easy for the people of Louth to support the Louth team in Europe.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Return the favour Drogs

Dundalk-Malmo-09.08.95-L.jpg

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    What was McCarthy doing? Remember watching this in the pub, was no big fan of $hels at the time, but was livid at those two ridiculous handballs. Didnt Pats draw 0-0 with Celtic in Glasgow same day? Second leg the goals went in late iirc so 7-3 was very flattering
    Yeah, mind-boggling stuff from McCarthy. Pat's were playing Celtic at the same time alright; I remember flicking over between RTE and Eurosport. Was a mad night!

Second leg goals were right at the start and right at the end. Don't think you can say 7-3 was very flattering; Rangers did tear Shels apart for 15 minutes in the "away" game and deserved what they got in the end.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillonman View Post
    Crusaders played Fulham in their own ground 2 or 3 years ago. So Cliftonville will probably play in Solitude this time round. Don't think its feasible on security ground to play in at Windsor and with the disputes ongoign between the FAI and IFA I highly doubt the IFA would allow it to take place outside NI.
    Was that not last season?

EDIT: It was 2011. Madness. I could have sworn it wasn't that long ago.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, mind-boggling stuff from McCarthy. Pat's were playing Celtic at the same time alright; I remember flicking over between RTE and Eurosport. Was a mad night!

Second leg goals were right at the start and right at the end. Don't think you can say 7-3 was very flattering; Rangers did tear Shels apart for 15 minutes in the "away" game and deserved what they got in the end.
    I watched them in a mobile home in Arklow, I think it was Arklow anyway. Definitely in a mobile home.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast