Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: European Qualifying 2013.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I know that there is 60% tongue in cheek about the provincial set ups, and the rest is looking longingly at a sport that rescued itself from bankruptcy, but maybe there is some sort of truth to it. Ireland gets x places in Europe and 4 sides go forward (rep sides). I am going to dig it out, but I know for sure there were suggestions at a football conference from smaller countries where something similar would come about. It could have been countries like Iceland, Malta or some such, where they said they;d have 3-4 Euro places and put together teams across the clubs.

Sorry for Pats and Drogs, but they have lots to do at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Are you for real? How about reasonable incentive for winning our domestic league with decent prize money first. Domestic co-efficient??? Ive heard it all now.......
    I assumed he was joking !

I don't give a toss what anyone else in the league thinks about Pats performance. Yeah, we were poor enough, didn't create a decent chance all game. Having said that we were very comfortable for the first half hour, conceding just on half time was a killer. They weren't that poor either, very quick and lively on the break, especially after they scored. We've done very well in europe for the past few years, this is a bad year, but so what ? Every team has them, even Man U had had their european disappointments. We just need to put it behind us and keep going in the league now.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Tony, more importantly, win the bloody cup! :-)

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

League Matches Postponed for Derry & Sligo

According to extratime.ie Derry and Sligo have had their respective league matches next weekend postponed because of Euro involvement.

This is a welcome and positive development.

Previously the FAI would not initiate postponements. Can anyone clarify if the initiative has come from the FAI or have they simply approved an agreement to postpone between the relevant clubs?

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/10677/
    Due to Derry City and Sligo Rovers participation in European ties next week, their games in the Airtricity Premier Division have been postponed. No new dates for these games have been announced. Their opponents, St. Patrick's Athletic and Drogheda United respectively, both failed to progress to the next round in the Europa League this week. Sligo Rovers will face Molde of Norway on Wednesday in the Showgrounds whilst Derry City travel to Turkey to take on Trabzonspor on Thursday. Postponed Airtricity Premier Division games Derry City v St Patrick's Athletic Drogheda United v Sligo Rovers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Just seen on Twitter Sligo Rovers have denied Extratime.ie a press box spot. Thats a disgrace. A site who cover the LOI week in week out and Sligo dismiss them probably for some billy bigtime reporter who never goes to LOI games. Disgrace
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Apparently it's something to do with Norwegian reporters taking up space - that is partially true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Apparently it's something to do with Norwegian reporters taking up space - that is partially true.
    Of course Norwegian media are taking up some of the available places - that's normal. It does not explain why extratime.ie have apparently not been allocated media space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Poor form by Sligo. Extratime give the League great coverage, where most other media outlets wouldn't give you the wind of their fart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,395 Posts
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    It is a shame that the extratime.ie lads won't be allowed at the game on Wednesday. Given it is volunteer run, the service they provide is fantastic .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    What financial advantage would it give Rovers not to let et in?

This sh1te about media not giving the time of day to LOI games. Each of the Irish media outlets that will be present on Wednesday will cover all our games be it through freelance reporters there on behalf of the paper or full-time reporters coming from Dublin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Still no explanation as to why ET appear to be denied a media place

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Still no explanation as to why ET appear to be denied a media place
    Is it not fairly obvious? Space. Have you ever seen Sligo's press box? On a normal match night you couldn't swing a cat in it, nevermind on the night of a Champions League game. Sligo are (I assume) catering for their local press and the national media. Plus, I'm sure it's some sort of requirement to make room for the visiting teams media team. It's not really rocket science. It's harsh on extratime but they need to get over it. I'm sure if there was space, they would be allowed to cover the game. What do you propose? Eh, Sligo Rovers should turn away local media outlets who have been giving them coverage every week for years and years? Or for them to turn down national media coverage? They are also obligated to cater for the away team's media. Who should they turn away to make room for Extratime.ie? Think about it. It's Sligo's prerogative to choose who is allowed in their press box, they are looking after their own clubs best interests. I'm sure your club would do the same if they found themselves in a similar position.
    Last edited by Olander; 15/07/2013 at 1:50 PM.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    Is it not fairly obvious? Space
    Every LOI ground has the same problem. All the clubs provide an overflow area near the press box for additional journalists.

I'm surprised extratime went public with the refusal. I guess they'd have had to field questions about it on Wednesday and they're hoping Sligo find room for them through the magic of public pressure

(On a slightly related point Sligo also refused to give media accreditation to the lads who do internet commentary for Pats fans yesterday)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Poor form by Sligo. Extratime give the League great coverage, where most other media outlets wouldn't give you the wind of their fart.
    I'd say most of the ET reporters cover the games for local papers anyway. Not sure if that's the case in Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Is it not fairly obvious? Space.

Brilliant

Have you ever seen Sligo's press box?
    No

On a normal match night you couldn't swing a cat in it, nevermind on the night of a Champions League game.
    On a normal match night, extratime.ie would be there reporting. No?

Sligo are (I assume) catering for their local press and the national media.
    I am afraid that you are assuming to answer for Sligo when clearly you are guessing.

It's not really rocket science. It's harsh on extratime but they need to get over it. I'm sure if there was space, they would be allowed to cover the game. What do you propose? Eh, Sligo Rovers should turn away local media outlets who have been giving them coverage every week for years and years? Or for them to turn down national media coverage? They are also obligated to cater for the away team's media. Who should they turn away to make room for Extratime.ie? Think about it. It's Sligo's prerogative to choose who is allowed in their press box, they are looking after their own clubs best interests. I'm sure your club would do the same if they found themselves in a similar position.
    Are you often this condescending?

Eh, Sligo Rovers should turn away local media outlets who have been giving them coverage every week for years and years?
    Certainly not - but I hope you see the irony is this statement in relation to extratime.ie

It's Sligo's prerogative to choose who is allowed in their press box, they are looking after their own clubs best interests.
    You really think alienating extratime.ie is in Sligo's interests?

. I'm sure your club would do the same if they found themselves in a similar position.
    Thats the thing - I have no idea what Sligo's position is. I would be amazed if most clubs would exclude them

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    they are looking after their own clubs best interests. I'm sure your club would do the same
    It is clearly in the interests of Sligo Rovers FC that extratime.ie grows and prospers. Online outlets like it are a great way to circumvent the paucity of coverage in sectors of the media (less of a problem for Sligo than it is for most due to strong local media coverage). You could never predict what other people would do with certainty but I would hope that my club would not do this
    EL grounds are like good episodes of The Simpsons, no matter how many times you see them they're still funny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    So if your club had no room to facilitate extratime who would you shun so they could cover the game? local or national media?
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    According to extratime.ie Derry and Sligo have had their respective league matches next weekend postponed because of Euro involvement.

This is a welcome and positive development.

Previously the FAI would not initiate postponements. Can anyone clarify if the initiative has come from the FAI or have they simply approved an agreement to postpone between the relevant clubs?

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/10677/
    Interesting comment form Mick Cooke on MNS to the effect that the FAI told Drogheda that they would not postpone league matches for clubs in Europe - therefore Drogheda did not make any postponement request.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Pressure pays off

Extratime.ie News ‏@ExtratimeNews
    We have been accredited for @sligorovers European game & therefore will have full coverage.Thanks to Sligo Rovers and to our followers

Expand

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast