Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If not now, then when?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts

If not now, then when?

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...medium=twitter

Excellent article regarding Trappatoni again ignoring the League of Ireland, when this is the time he should be looking at players within the league.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    The league is at nowhere near a high enough standard to judge whether a player is up to international level.

Underage success isn't really a barometer for a player either.

Alex O'Reilly
    Thomas Heary
    Keith Doyle
    Richard Dunne
    Jason Gavin
    Stephen McPhail
    Gerard Crossley
    Barry Quinn
    Richie Partridge
    Robbie Keane
    Liam George

There's the starting eleven that won the Euro U-18s.....

As for why not now in particular??

Well Trap is under immense pressure for some ludicrous results from a CEO desperate to get him off the wage/court favour with the ole ole brigade.

Bit of risk to bring in 25 LoI games Barry McNamee then?!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    The league is at nowhere near a high enough standard to judge whether a player is up to international level.

Underage success isn't really a barometer for a player either.

Alex O'Reilly
    Thomas Heary
    Keith Doyle
    Richard Dunne
    Jason Gavin
    Stephen McPhail
    Gerard Crossley
    Barry Quinn
    Richie Partridge
    Robbie Keane
    Liam George

There's the starting eleven that won the Euro U-18s.....
    21s success would be a better barometer, and Richie Towell has done very well at that level and is obviously miles above LOI standard.

As for why not now in particular??

Well Trap is under immense pressure for some ludicrous results from a CEO desperate to get him off the wage/court favour with the ole ole brigade.

Bit of risk to bring in 25 LoI games Barry McNamee then?!
    Agree now isn't the time, but it's only a risk if he plays him. If McNamee or somebody else shows potential, why not give him the same chance Chelsea underage star Conor Clifford got?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    They don't exactly have to play LTID. It's just when a 28 man squad is named, why persist with players that are clearly not good enough for international level while there are players showing huge potential in the League here.
    They have just as much right to be in a 28 man squad, and not play, as does someone like Darren O'Dea, who has proven time and again that he's not good enough. Besides the fact he's playing in a team, arguably, as weak as most League of Ireland Premier Division team on an international standard.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I think most people's major gripe is that for example Ronan Finn is not good enough simply because he is playing league of Ireland premier but if a week later he was warming the bench for the likes of Derby County he would probably get a call up. That goes for the underage set up also.

How Seanie Maguire could be continually overlooked for the under 19's last season was a joke. Two weeks after signing for west ham he is added to the squad without even touching a ball for the club. Seanie was playing at a much more physical and competitive level than any of the players playing youths over in Engalnd. Playing against men and playing against youths is a huge difference and an advantage Seanie would have had but it seemed not to matter at all.

There is a lot more cases than that also. Players seem to be picked by where they are playing rather than their actual quality.

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    The standard of players in the LOI this year and last has dropped since 2011 and before, though from what I've seen Richie Towell should at least get a chance in a squad. But if Trap called up someone, the meeja would pillory him, especially if the player didn't play or flopped. Plus they're going to go after him no matter what. I do believe that he should be able to put in 5 players for each squad and have the FAI put their fingers up to the meeja and say - we're backing him to do it for the benefit of national football and the LOI. Then again, I should be able to date Anna Semenovich but first I'd be killed by my missus and secondly I'd be killed by her boyfriend.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Great to see Barry McNamee in the Under 21 Squad for the Denmark game. Delighted for Dave O'Leary to be involved in the training also.

There surely is room for a few LOI players to even be called up to the training squads before friendlies. In Rugby you often see players being called up to the International setup for training squads. They will most likely not make match day squads but get to train with the first teamers and it benefits them in the long run. Having a few LOI players in the squads would reflect well on the league also.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I expect us to have a player in the squad the next time we host a game

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    It's great to see the extra players called into the 21 squad, plus players from our diaspora (as it's deserved). I wonder that rather than complaining about missing out on the full side that the LOI gets off it's backside and does something constructive (maybe with the Giggle Bros from the players union) and organise LOI XI's playing over leagues. The Russian version (FNL) played Serie B and 2 other leagues this season with good energy. An LOI XI vs Sweden XI or some such would give LOI players some more exposure.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I know it may seem parocial but I believe a LOI player or two should be mandatory in every ROI squad. Building links between the LOI and ROI would be good for both and they (alledgedly) are part of the same organisation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I think having an LOI XI playing in the green jersey, against a weaker full national side (one of the Baltic states would be ideal, apparently there are 25,000 Lithuanians in Ireland, for example), or at least a representative XI, an England or Scotland "B" side, should be a regular fixture. The FAI could make it a cheap ticket game like the FAI cup final. They'd make money off it while giving the league exposure, seems like a win-win.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    I know it may seem parocial but I believe a LOI player or two should be mandatory in every ROI squad. Building links between the LOI and ROI would be good for both and they (alledgedly) are part of the same organisation
    Could never be implemented and even if it was, I think it would be counter-productive.

Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I think having an LOI XI playing in the green jersey, against a weaker full national side (one of the Baltic states would be ideal, apparently there are 25,000 Lithuanians in Ireland, for example), or at least a representative XI, an England or Scotland "B" side, should be a regular fixture. The FAI could make it a cheap ticket game like the FAI cup final. They'd make money off it while giving the league exposure, seems like a win-win.
    That would be a great idea, rather than the playing Man Utd nonsense.

Cost would be an issue though. Not sure if it would make money exactly. I would sooner go to that than an Ireland game. Was at the Argentina friendly, but was just there for a nose around the stadium tbh. Don't feel a great attachment to our national side. I usually watch the matches but I wouldn't be that bothered going to see it. Would love to see a LOI XI take on somebody other a barstooler magnet.

You have the problem then of when you have the game, so that all players from all teams are available for selection.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Peadar, the Baltic sides would maybe be a bit too tough, a Baltic League side maybe, and if the LOI and FAI got it right, they'd have a fair amount of business support. The difficulty they will face is the clubs (as gufcfan hinted at), though if the dates get set for a 4 year period, it makes sense. Would love to see 2 fixtures a year and it just takes organisation, and it can't be 1 off and little sops to the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    It's a nice sentiment, but not really the answer to dealing with the root of the problem of the league's detachment from the international set-up. It's more enforcing a false or illusory link than building a genuine one. Players ought to be selected if deserving of a place. A mandatory quota would strike me as tokenistic whilst also leaving those LOI players called up open to accusations of selection for reasons other than merit. Would this be beneficial for the league or result in the wider Irish public giving the league more serious consideration? Chances are the two mandatory players mightn't be up to the "required standard" on occasion, perhaps even regularly; this would just provoke resentment and further questions.

As an aside, in what way would it benefit the international side exactly?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    A very good article. Makes me long even more for the end of the Trappatoni regime. Maybe not the worst manager ever, but probably the most unpopular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    I think most people's major gripe is that for example Ronan Finn is not good enough simply because he is playing league of Ireland premier but if a week later he was warming the bench for the likes of Derby County he would probably get a call up. That goes for the underage set up also.

How Seanie Maguire could be continually overlooked for the under 19's last season was a joke. Two weeks after signing for west ham he is added to the squad without even touching a ball for the club. Seanie was playing at a much more physical and competitive level than any of the players playing youths over in Engalnd. Playing against men and playing against youths is a huge difference and an advantage Seanie would have had but it seemed not to matter at all.

There is a lot more cases than that also. Players seem to be picked by where they are playing rather than their actual quality.
    Maybe it's more the case at underage, but that perception in terms of the senior squad is way off. Made this point over in the international forum but there's countless examples of players who are cross-channel but nowhere near the squad (Enda Stevens, Stephen McLaughlin, Daniel Kearns, Dave Mooney etc).

Don't agree much with article at all. I also think it's totally wrong to suggest LOI players should be soft-balled into the squad just because. Truthfully the track record ain't great (Crowe, Byrne, Gamble) and for every McClean or Coleman there's a couple of Roy O'Donovan's floating about. For me cross-channel ball is rightly a proving ground.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    I
    Maguire was in the under 19 squad whilst with Waterford (EG (1)) & has been part of the under 18 panel for 2 years. Ryan Coombes was with Pats all last season and in some of the squads Maguire wasn't. You can't claim anti-LOI bias when there are LOI players in the squad. Sometimes there are better players in his position (and maybe they get injured).

This nonsense happens every few years. None of the players above are close to international standard. Forrester can't start for the Ireland u21s. Horgan is absolutely woeful and wouldn't get a game with the top 5 LOI sides, never mind the international side.

Ian Bermingham is probably closest to being in the Irish squad. Not because he's that good a player, but simply because he's the best left back in the countrya nd the international squad has a problem there.

Trapatoni has no interest in the league, and that's a shame. But even if he was watching games every week there'd be little or no change in the international squad. Oh and players do improve immensely when they move to England as they're training better and doing everything in a professional manner.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

23. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Bloody hell, sometimes I wonder why people actually support LoI ! Surely, a large part of supporting a club no matter where in the world that club is, is the dream of that club reaching for the stars, very often unattainable in reality. Yet here we are knocking the quality within this League,and I as a Bohs fan have certainly seen a sharp decrease in quality in Dalymount. Regarding the inclusion of LoI players in a national squad, I probably naively thought that International competition was down to representation of ones Country/Nation, and in that regard surely to F..K there should be room for a player or more who actually lives on the Island of Ireland to represent his country REGARDLESS WHETHER THERE ARE BETTER PLAYERS IN THE UK. I also don't want a lecture on how through emigration, how big a diaspora we have throughout the world, blab, blah !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    A very good article. Makes me long even more for the end of the Trappatoni regime.
    Why exactly? Would you be expecting any replacement to give the league greater attention than the scant level of consideration Trap gives it? Devoting any bit of time and attention to the league has been a very rare trait amongst our contemporary international managers. What was the largest number of League of Ireland players Brian Kerr ever had in one of his squads? And he's a man with League of Ireland roots!

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusher View Post
    Yet here we are knocking the quality within this League,and I as a Bohs fan have certainly seen a sharp decrease in quality in Dalymount.
    Aren't you just knocking the quality there yourself too?

Regarding the inclusion of LoI players in a national squad, I probably naively thought that International competition was down to representation of ones Country/Nation, and in that regard surely to F..K there should be room for a player or more who actually lives on the Island of Ireland to represent his country REGARDLESS WHETHER THERE ARE BETTER PLAYERS IN THE UK. I also don't want a lecture on how through emigration, how big a diaspora we have throughout the world, blab, blah !!
    You should probably refrain from posting silly comments like the above then. Which of our international players aren't representing their country/nation? You don't have to live on the island of Ireland to be an Irish national.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast