Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Milk Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts

Milk Cup

http://bohemianfc.com/?cat=5

Bohemian FC Under-17s have been rewarded with an incredibly challenging draw for the 2013 Milk Cup.
    On Tuesday last, manager Robbie Giles, Head of Player Development & Recruitment Lisa Fallon and members of the squad travelled to Belfast for the draw, which was conducted by Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers and 18-year-old Reds starlet Raheem Sterling.
    There was great excitement at the official launch of the 31st year of the prestigious competition when it was announced that current World Club champions Corinthians of Brazil would be sending their Under-17 team to compete in the competition for the very first time.
    READ MORE

The Brazilian side were drawn in Group 3 of the Premier competition alongside CSKA Moscow, before Rodgers drew Bohs in the same group. County Londonderry/Derry were also drawn in Group 3.
    Speaking after the draw, Under-17s manager Giles said: “What a fantastic group. It’s a massive challenge for our players but who wouldn’t want the opportunity to play against players from clubs like that?”
    Senior manager Aaron Callaghan says it’s not a group for the lads to feel daunted by.
    “Everyone should be excited by this draw. Its a huge experience playing against players from other cultures and different styles of play and I’m really looking forward to attending these games.”
    And Head of Player Development & Recruitment Fallon also believes it’s a great challenge for the players, adding: “There is no greater incentive for any player than having the opportunity to measure themselves against some of the best players in the world.
    “Participating in the Northern Ireland Milk Cup is a very important step on our new pathway of player development and this will be an experience that our lads will remember for the rest of their lives.”
    A fixture list that includes: Bohemian FC v Corinthians and Bohemian FC v CSKA Moscow is something for everyone at the club to forward to!
    The Milk Cup runs from July 28th to August 2nd 2013 and venues/times for games will be confirmed soon.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Jaysus, Corinthians, I hate those b******s, you should be glad their supporters are not coming as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Nice to be involved in something like this. Best of luck to the young lads - I hope they enjoy every second of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    It's an astonishing experience. I played in it in (mumble, mumble, too many years ago to admit to) and the memories stay with me to this day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gormacha View Post
    It's an astonishing experience. I played in it in (mumble, mumble, too many years ago to admit to) and the memories stay with me to this day.
    Continue...
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Continue...
    I played in it for Waterford United in, I think, 1984.

We got eliminated in the group stage - only the top team qualified for the semi-finals - and we were put ino the second tier knockout competition, the Shield. We got to the final, where we beaten by Dundalk, captained by Steve Staunton, 3-2 I think, but my memory isn't too clear on that. I think Rangers FC won the Milk Cup that year.

That's the bare details. The bigger part of it for me was the sense of being a "proper" footballer. Getting up in the morning and going training; big lunch and a sleep; then training again in the evening; early nights before "big" matches; playing on decent pitches - with crowds!; going on team nights out; proper training and match gear; squad numbers; match reports in The Mirror etc. You felt like you were at a mini world cup. There was even a massive opening ceremony - we had no idea this was happening, and we just couldn't believe the thousands who crowded the streets to look at the like of us. It was phuqing brilliant.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gormacha View Post
    I played in it for Waterford United in, I think, 1984.

We got eliminated in the group stage - only the top team qualified for the semi-finals - and we were put ino the second tier knockout competition, the Shield. We got to the final, where we beaten by Dundalk, captained by Steve Staunton, 3-2 I think, but my memory isn't too clear on that. I think Rangers FC won the Milk Cup that year.

That's the bare details. The bigger part of it for me was the sense of being a "proper" footballer. Getting up in the morning and going training; big lunch and a sleep; then training again in the evening; early nights before "big" matches; playing on decent pitches - with crowds!; going on team nights out; proper training and match gear; squad numbers; match reports in The Mirror etc. You felt like you were at a mini world cup. There was even a massive opening ceremony - we had no idea this was happening, and we just couldn't believe the thousands who crowded the streets to look at the like of us. It was phuqing brilliant.
    Excellent stuff. So you can have one of those: "I played [insert ex-Irish international's name] off the park" conversations like my dad does with Liam Brady the whole time he's on RTE.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I'd be fairly sure it was the Milk cup, that my cousin played for Cherry Orchard in, and saved a Robbie Fowler penalty.

Could be wrong on that one, but I do recall being told that story once.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    I Played in this myself 10 years ago this year, Dundalk Schoolboys League have been one of the only teams to have been invited to partake in every tournament since it began. Great experience doing the parade through Coleraine and into their ground with all teams lined up across the pitch.
    Played Cherry Orcard, Machabi Hiafa and co.down in the groups, got a draw against down and 2 heavy defeats entered a shield, won against some colombian academy and then lost final to New Zeland.
    The same year our U-14s reached the semi final, beating Everton in the 1/4 final only to lose the semi, cant remember who beat them.

Back in the 90's and 00's, two teams u-14 and u-16 went up to partake in it but I seem to recall hearing only one side go now and it alternates between the younger and higher agegroup each year.