Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Perception And Anti-Social Behavior in the LOIe

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Sort of related to this thread, recently I applied for a job with one of the firms that handle event stewarding in Limerick. I mentioned in the interview that I attended the LOI games in Thomond. The interview took a sudden swerve into a diatribe from the interviewer and, without them flat out saying it, it was made clear to me that football fans were considered a far more difficult prospect for stewards to deal with than rugby fans - there was certainly a very obvious distaste in their voice as they talked about soccer fans.

I've never witnessed or heard of any bad behavior from home or away LOI fans in Thomond, beyond some chanting some people might find offensive. So, I can only theorise that their opinions were based off a larger outlook on soccer fans in general. I still wonder how prevalent that perception is about the LOI, and what can be done to counter it.
    I can't comment on LOI games but from security people I know the perception is that big games in the big stadiums are much more difficult to steward if they're soccer than rugby. GAA is closer to soccer than rugby from what I've heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I can never understand where they get this from, I do the Turnstiles in Tallaght for away supporters and with the exception of 2 Pats fans & 1 Bohs fan I have never encountered a bad word from any away supporters. Derry, Sligo and Drogheda in my opinion are the best craic, but certainly no trouble from any others

Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Sort of related to this thread, recently I applied for a job with one of the firms that handle event stewarding in Limerick. I mentioned in the interview that I attended the LOI games in Thomond. The interview took a sudden swerve into a diatribe from the interviewer and, without them flat out saying it, it was made clear to me that football fans were considered a far more difficult prospect for stewards to deal with than rugby fans - there was certainly a very obvious distaste in their voice as they talked about soccer fans.

I've never witnessed or heard of any bad behavior from home or away LOI fans in Thomond, beyond some chanting some people might find offensive. So, I can only theorise that their opinions were based off a larger outlook on soccer fans in general. I still wonder how prevalent that perception is about the LOI, and what can be done to counter it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Did that book on Seamie O'Boyle and the Sligo bootboys of the 70s ever get written?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123