Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Darren Randolph (G West Ham b.1987)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    There has definitely been a regression in the standard of the playing pool available. Not sure if it is entirely borne out by the fact that we are not much above half the number of PL players of ten years ago.

If you look at the 2011/2012 list, there are players who would definitely struggle to get into the PL today. The quality there has improved and, as a result, as has the quality at Championship level. There are plenty in there that somehow managed to get a look in at Premier League level that would not today and, in many cases, their career trajectories have shown that.

This is slightly less evident in the class of 2009/2010, but Jay O'Shea, Lawrence, Folan and Andy Keogh do not get into a present day top half Championship side, let alone get brought up to the Premier League should said side get promoted. Nor does a Premier League side purchase them. Cox and Sammon from the 2011/2012 class struck me similarly and I don't think Forde, Carruthers or Harriman were near the same standard as our other teenage debutants from this year and last.

Overall, I definitely agree with your point. But if you look at the young players getting their Premier League debuts, the money spent when Championship players sign for a Premier League club and the quality of the squads at the promoted sides this year I think it becomes apparent that Wigan buying Conor Sammon or Andy Keogh being promoted with and kept by Wolves does not occur today.
    I actually think Liam Lawrence was a decent quality player that lacked a bit of pace whether that was due to injuries or not ~ I don’t know.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    707 Posts
    I would agree with a lot of that. I think you will always get a few players getting game time at that level though who turn out to not be good enough in the long run. We may look back at this year's list in a few years and be amazed that someone like Jimmy Dunne (or Lewis Richards if he gets minutes) played premier League depending on how their careers turn out. I would guess that those lists probably include a few players who got a run out near the end of the season in mid table teams that had little to play for, which can often top up the numbers late in the season.

In terms of qualification for tournaments my own belief is that we're going to have to ride out the next two years - we don't currently have a good enough team and the world cup qualification process is too difficult for us at our current level.

However, after that we're looking at another 24 team Euros in 2024 and from the 2026 world cup onwards there should be at least 16 European qualifiers so, as the standard of our squad hopefully improves, it should be timed nicely alongside the World Cup becoming at least a little easier to qualify for and the continuation of the 24 team Euros.

Anyway, since this is the Randolph thread, any news on Fabianski's injury?
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    https://www.claretandhugh.info/fabianski-update-2/

Fabianski expected to return for the next game, according to this.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts
    Started against City today. Might have been a bit better for the City goal.

Just gone over on his ankle taking a goal kick and may have to come off. Seems to hurt himself taking goal kicks a lot.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Difficult to fault him on either goal, in my view. The first one he might have done better with but the ball was sublime and Stones almost got to it before Dias. Between coming for it, thinking Stones might get it or whatever else he was thinking, he wasn't perfectly positioned for Dias and that is true. Difficult to blame him for it I think.

The ankle was a funny one. He stayed on the pitch for the entire a game and the commentators said that the third choice keeper was warming up for the rest of the match after Randolph got injured.

Hopefully it doesn't cost him any games if Fabianski is out again.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Randolph was named in West Ham's U23 side but had to be replaced before kick off
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Player for west ham U23 did today against Everton, alongside Coventry and Odubeko. West Ham won 2-1, both goals from Odubeko

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Player for west ham U23 did today against Everton, alongside Coventry and Odubeko. West Ham won 2-1, both goals from Odubeko
    Fabianski let in a howler ( according to the radio I was listening to ) at the weekend. Maybe Randolph will get a game before the season is over.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Ah Fabianski has been really good for them. Clearly their no. 1 I reckon unless his form goes completely to pot.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    And even if they want to supplant Fabianski they'll look to buy in, they won't be putting their faith in a 33 year old with 32 PL games to his name.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    30 players would play, on average, in every Premier League season, until the 2012-13 season, when 29 players appeared, and the number of Irish players declined every year after that, reaching a lowpoint of only 15 players in 2018/19(see below), but it's improved since with 21 players in 2019/20 and the current season. I actually think the 2017/18 season was worse, 17 players appeared, averaging 15.7 appearances each - the 15 players from the 2018/19 season averaged 17.66 appearances each.

FWIW I'd estimate the average number of appearances to be around 16.4 at the end of the season
    I wasn't too far off, 21 Irish players appeared in the 2020/21 Premier League season, making 329 appearances in total, averaging 15.66 appearances each.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

14. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    West Ham signed Alphonse Areola in the summer, who is expected to battle with Fabianski for the number one spot this seaon, leaving Randolph as the clear number three. Would be nice to see him go out on loan but I can't fault the guy for collecting a nice pay packet.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Bournemouth reportedly have shown some interest in signing Darren Randolph. Hasn't made a competitive appearance since May 2021 and out of contract with West Ham in the summer.

17. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Permanent transfer for Randolph agreed, according to BBC Football. Not exactly a vote of confidence in Travers.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demesne Lad View Post
    Permanent transfer for Randolph agreed, according to BBC Football. Not exactly a vote of confidence in Travers.
    Is Travers can't hold off Darren Randolfh ( at his age and recent amount of playing ) then Travers probably ain't good enough for that level.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Bournemouth only have two senior keepers and had an U21s keeper covering Travers while Neto was injured. Plus Neto only signed a one contract at Bournemouth so Travers could be the only senior keeper at Bournemouth come the summer.

Makes sense for them to get an experienced third choice keeper, especially if they want to keep him on next season as second choice if Neto leaves. Reports say they've taken over his contract from West Ham so might only be a short term transfer till the summer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Bournemouth only have two senior keepers and had an U21s keeper covering Travers while Neto was injured. Plus Neto only signed a one contract at Bournemouth so Travers could be the only senior keeper at Bournemouth come the summer.

Makes sense for them to get an experienced third choice keeper, especially if they want to keep him on next season as second choice if Neto leaves. Reports say they've taken over his contract from West Ham so might only be a short term transfer till the summer.
    BBC saying that Randolph had 18 months left on his West Ham contract. I'd have to imagine that Randolph is coming in to be 2nd choice, making Travers 3rd. I'd say if they get relegated, Neto will leave and Travers and Randolph will fight for the jersey next season.

If Travers could, he'd do well to get a championship loan move for the next 5 months. I'm sure there's a team that would be glad to have him

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Travers did at least show last season that he was a decent Championship keeper, so it'd be surprising if they were giving up on him so soon.

I guess we'll find out at their next league match. I presume Randolph is fit enough to sit on the bench after the last couple of years.

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    BBC saying that Randolph had 18 months left on his West Ham contract. I'd have to imagine that Randolph is coming in to be 2nd choice, making Travers 3rd. I'd say if they get relegated, Neto will leave and Travers and Randolph will fight for the jersey next season.

If Travers could, he'd do well to get a championship loan move for the next 5 months. I'm sure there's a team that would be glad to have him
    https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...est-ham-united

Only signed a three and a half year deal when he joined so free agent come the summer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    707 Posts
    Travers is an interesting one because he really was one of the best keepers in the Championship last season and was player of the season in a promotion winning team. Yet, having seen him play a good bit in the EPL this season, it's clear that he's absolutely miles off the level required to be a first choice Premier League keeper. Almost to the point where I'd say he needs to completely reinvent his style of goalkeeping if he's to ever make the step up.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast