Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 8/6 - 12/13 April

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ive heard the budget in Cork is 5k?? Not too sure if its true but if so then hes not doing too bad,Cobh had a simular budget when winning the first division.In the past when Cork have been doing well on the pitch their finances have took a tumble off it-if Foras are to bring some stability to the club they need to keep doing what their doing now.I would hope for the future of the club they have some long term plan in place to maybe purchase even a training ground to give the club something to build on,At the moment its looking like Limerick will take them over as a club...
    Marty

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Cork are right to keep within their means when deciding on their playing budget, and Sligo and Shamrock R could well be playing a dangerous game operating with the wage bills they have these days. One thing you should always look for in a manager when you are operating within a tight budget is that he can unearth a player now and again who has been overlooked by the big spenders or re-invigorate a talented player who has lost his way. Maybe I am unfair to T Dunne but has he done this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Cork are right to keep within their means when deciding on their playing budget, and Sligo and Shamrock R could well be playing a dangerous game operating with the wage bills they have these days. One thing you should always look for in a manager when you are operating within a tight budget is that he can unearth a player now and again who has been overlooked by the big spenders or re-invigorate a talented player who has lost his way. Maybe I am unfair to T Dunne but has he done this?
    What is Sligo Rovers' budget?
    Whats that comin' over the hill

It's the Monster,

The Cookie Monster!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    I certainly wouldn't begrudge Sligo success; they've waited long enough for it, it's a proper footballing town, and if the shoe was on the other foot I'd not be complaining about the budget size.

The issue here for me is that I don't think Dunne has made the best of our own budget. Our squad is littered with mediocre players that he signed. Our tactics are horribly negative, even when playing against the likes of UCD. Even yesterday, I know Sligo are a great LOI side, but we're hardly so far down the pecking order that we should be essentially accepting defeat with the "we'll give it a lash" attitude that he came out with. Our style makes for awful viewing at our home games and when the public watch us on TV, like yesterday. It reduces gates, dampens out positivity and ultimately leads to further culling of the budget as a result.

I know there are a few Limerick fans on here fishing for a reaction - it may shock you to learn that I and I'm sure most other Cork fans would like to see Limerick do well actually, it would be a very healthy thing for there to be a rivalry built up there. And given that we are still above you in the table I think the talk of a 'power shift' in Munster is a bit OTT, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    And given that we are still above you in the table I think the talk of a 'power shift' in Munster is a bit OTT, no?
    Depends on your outlook.

Tis some of the Cork fans brought it up with the talk about Tommy Dunne being poor.

You seem to have a negative outlook for Cork going forward whereas I think most Limerick fans would be cautiously optimistic about Taylor.

I was saying it back in March FORAS' biggest job this season was to try manage expectations, the talk of Europe was fanciful, best case scenario stuff for anyone who actually sat back and looked at your squad but typical of what you get coming out of some sections in Cork.

Like (call me a biased lunatic) but I look at Limericks squad and I look at Corks squad and I don't see where Cork are much better??

And no one but no one in Limerick would have been seriously talking us up for Europe.

I'm just not sure what you all expect given the resources available??

Someone above said a manager with a constrained budget should get the most out of players/unearth a few gems.

Well in fairness Daryl Horgan was plucked out of nowhere, two of your three man midfield are young lads that cost nothing that he's brought on, Mark McNulty has moved from laughing stock to just below average, lot of young local lads knocking around your squad, it should give a hint about the budget.

Lot of giving out about Behan as well. He's on peanuts and he works like a dog. Denis Behan money wouldn't have gotten you any better from up the country.

All the talk of only playing one up top isn't here no there these days either. Sligo only play one up top. So do Limerick. So do most clubs.

What Cork are lacking (like Limerick) is a genuine penetrative man from midfield to support the one.

Cork are also lacking a goalkeeper, a winger and a centre half.

But mainly they're lacking money.

Like don't get me wrong I don't particularly rate Tommy Dunne, I wouldn't have him near Limerick, but what's the alternative for a fan ran, financially pinched club??

You look at what he has done, with what he has available and (if you're being realistic) you kinda just have to say fair enough.

EDIT: Just looked at the table, win your game in hand against Bray and you're in fourth! Could pox Europe afterall! What exactly do you people want?!
    Last edited by Lim till i die; 14/04/2013 at 2:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Ive heard the budget in Cork is 5k??
    Not an absolute hope in hell. I know of one player on a fifth of that alone.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Ive heard the budget in Cork is 5k?? Not too sure if its true but if so then hes not doing too bad
    Their gate receipts alone must be double that.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    It seems to me that Cork fans are underestimating this Sligo team and using it as a stick to beat Dunne. From what I've seen, this Sligo team is the best since the Bohs 2008 team and if they keep going as they are they could surpass them. Cork are doing just fine and just need to keep progressing as they are. However, Limerick are the great story this season. Fantastic to have a strongly backed, competitive Limerick team in the top tier and long may it continue.

WRT budget, I would wager that both Sligo and Shams are in and around the €1m mark which, although risky, is far, far less than the €1.7m that Bohs spent only a few years ago. The balance has been restored a bit with clubs wising up and players waking up to reality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I thought Cork were at least as good as I'd expected them to be at this stage. Bossed possession for periods and occasionally got on top in midfield, just lacked penetration. "Showing less respect" and "really going for it", as Eoin Hand suggested, might have meant getting riddled on the break - anyone who's seen us this season can tell you one of our best attacking scenarios is opposition corners.

Stability is crucial. We had a good few years consolidating. Seanie 'Out of Africa' Connor comfortably outspent the rest of Division 1 to get us out of there, and Cookie threw a strop or two that meant the club going cap-in-hand to the fans. But Baraclough is a pretty shrewd operator. He made it clear in the off-season that no one was irreplaceable and also told players that if they dawdled too long there would be someone else in their seat. There are plenty of guesses about our budget - the fact is none of us on this forum know - but it would make sense to believe that Baraclough is getting value for money out of any player he decided was worth keeping.

The fact that there was a league title in Cork in recent memory probably makes it hard to be patient, but another fact is that in my lifetime around half a dozen League of Ireland clubs have - for various reasons - gone out of existence in the city. Defying that mortality rate should be at least as important as stuffing the trophy cabinet in a hurry.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    There will always be a club in Cork.
    May as well push the boat out now.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    is it just me I didnt hear any result from the Limerick game last nite??
    Last edited by Martinho II; 14/04/2013 at 8:45 PM.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I think Cork fans are being a bit harsh on their team. I think they play some nice football but are just lacking in one or two areas, not the end of the world. Dunne has done a good job in getting them promoted and then stabilising them in the premier. In saying that though, I was saying during the match that this will be his last season in charge, Cork are the best supported team in the country and should be challenging for the league every season.

Sligo are a good side but not on the same level as that Bohs 08 team IMO
    Here on a technicality.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I work with a few City fans and thats the budget been passed around,it may be true someone knows of someone on a fifth of that but there are players there playing for close to nothing,it was up to him to spread the clubs wages,even the likes of Dan Murray now has his first full time job and that comes ahead of football! As for gates of about 2k,well average that at 10 euro in and you have 20k every two weeks.Rent of turners cross and Dunnes wages coupled with travel expenses and Cork dont have a lot to play around with....Sponsers like Nissan have vanished and now some black pudding company drapes the jersey--maybe Foras see it as a sustainable business model it should be and not what some saw it in the past.Id give Dunne until the end of this season anyhow but I doubt there would be a line form for the job.
    Marty

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Leinster won.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Have to agree about what most are writing about Cork. They are a decent team and will probably finish between 4th and 6th and with a small budget thats pretty good.

Sligo will probably walk the league unless they get an injury crisis.

As a Derry fan I'm just delighted with how we're playing and scoring for fun but Dundalk could have been 2/3 up against us at half time and only for a stupid foul on Rafter for the penalty it could have been so different.

As for no one giving Sligo a game so far,I beg to differ,I thought they were lucky to beat us in the first game of the season,I reckon it came to early for us but still think their so much stronger than the rest of the teams.

Top 3 for Derry would make me happy but hey I'm starting to dream and if we can get a nice result on Fri v Sham rvrs then you just never know!

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Some result for Rovers on Friday night. Embarrassing for the opposition. One of the worst sides in the LOI in a long, long time.
    Lets talk about six baby

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post

Playing Bohs tomorrow Marty.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Some result for Rovers on Friday night. Embarrassing for the opposition. One of the worst sides in the LOI in a long, long time.
    Ah yer not that bad. Croly will get ye top 4.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    One of the worst sides in the LOI in a long, long time.
    Galway United's horrendous year not that long ago surely?
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    Have to agree about what most are writing about Cork. They are a decent team and will probably finish between 4th and 6th and with a small budget thats pretty good.

Sligo will probably walk the league unless they get an injury crisis.

As a Derry fan I'm just delighted with how we're playing and scoring for fun but Dundalk could have been 2/3 up against us at half time and only for a stupid foul on Rafter for the penalty it could have been so different.

As for no one giving Sligo a game so far,I beg to differ,I thought they were lucky to beat us in the first game of the season,I reckon it came to early for us but still think their so much stronger than the rest of the teams.

Top 3 for Derry would make me happy but hey I'm starting to dream and if we can get a nice result on Fri v Sham rvrs then you just never know!
    That's the thing. North, Ventre, Peers, Ndo, Davoren and Conneely are out or just coming back. Here's a stat that bodes well for us: Last season we won 17 out of 31 games to clinch the title. This season we are nearly half way to 17 wins and the first series of games still has 3 games left.
    Last edited by redobit; 15/04/2013 at 1:35 PM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast