Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racism In Football

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

Racism In Football

Given the times that are in it, I figured we probably needed a thread on this to go along with the homophobia one.

Chuckles Green is at it again: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...een-criticised

The astonishing stupidity of some of these people never fails to baffle me. He honestly thinks what he said was completely normal and that he's been persecuted by the PC Police. Moron. At least Di Canio realised that it would be better to pretend he wasn't a fascist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Malaga owner, Abdullah Al-Thani, has blamed his club's defeat to Dortmund last night on some vaguely-defined racism: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22087218

Malaga owner Sheikh Abdullah Al-Thani blamed racism for his side's dramatic Champions League defeat at Dortmund and called for Uefa to investigate.

Dortmund scored twice in injury time to complete a stunning 3-2 win and move into the last four.

But Felipe Santana's winner appeared offside and Qatari owner Al-Thani believes his side should have won.

He said on Twitter: "I'm sorry to go out this way, injustice and racism."Al-Thani, of the Qatari Royal Family, was named owner of Malaga in June 2010 after the 53-year-old bought the Spanish club.

A series of off-the-field financial problems mean Malaga are banned from European competition for one campaign when they next qualify.

Al-Thani added: "This is not football, but racism and clear of all.

"I hope to open a thorough investigation [by] Uefa regarding the Spanish club [going] out in this way."
    Odd claim. Is he suggesting anti-Spanish racism (or anti-Qatari racism, even) pervades UEFA?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Given the broken English I wouldn't be entirely sure of what he's saying, but given the circumstances it sounds like an irrational rant after an officiating ****-up. Pram, toys, etc.

I have no faith in FIFA to actually tackle racism, not when people like Sepp "Shake hands and forget about it" Blatter is at the helm.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Kick it out statement reacting to a Sun exclusive. The irony of KIO reacting blindly, inspired totally by a Sun exclusive, must have escaped them.

Kick It Out, football's equality and inclusion campaign, recognises and shares the concerns of the parties who felt mindful to bring the comments into the public domain. "The matter has been raised by the Chair, Lord Herman Ouseley, directly with The Football Association (FA), who acknowledges the apology made by Roy Hodgson, and now seeks an investigation to ascertain the full facts and ensure a similar situation does not arise again."
    Which party are they talking about?
    KIO want an investigation to ascertain the full facts? Ascertaining the full facts is certainly a good place to start and a good place for KIO to start before before stating that "KIO recognises and shares the concerns of the parties who felt mindful to bring the comments into the public domain" KIO blindly assume that Hodgson must have done something wrong because there was an apology floating around, assume something wrong was done and assume to claim that "it", whatever the "it" is, should not happen again. Well "it" was a Sun exclusive, so it must have been true.

Football against Racism in Europe also get involved with applying blame to Hodgson insulting him as if he is some caveman.
    Then today the attention seeker himself, the self appointed guardian of civil right values, the Society of Black Lawyers chairman Peter Herbert can't resist to jump up and down waving a complaint, "does not consider the matter closed and will be putting in a formal complaint."

Are groups like this needed? of course they are, no question about that, but I expect standards of rationality, not throwing fuel onto values of ignorance.
    Their reactions to this are an insult to standards of intelligence in society, not only do they not understand the English language, they distort meaning by removing context, they ignore what gives meaning to language, namely context. They assume the lowest standards of ignorance in interpretation of language and for what purpose? the betterment of standards of social order?
    Last edited by geysir; 18/10/2013 at 10:28 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Probably an over-reaction, but then again Hodgson has proved a dick on this in the past when he worked in apartheid S.Africa and claimed he had no problem with it, at the time.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Probably an over-reaction, but then again Hodgson has proved a dick on this in the past when he worked in apartheid S.Africa and claimed he had no problem with it, at the time.
    Did Hodgson say he had no problem at the time with Apartheid or did he say he didn't think too much about politics at the time and went for football reasons?
    What you claim he said, makes it appear he had no problem with the system of apartheid in SA.

You assume that something is up with Hodgson because he went to play football in apartheid SA, 40 years ago?
    That leaves some doubt in your mind with the interpretation of his 1/2 time talk ? leaves some doubt with the quality of his character?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I assume that anyone who ignored apartheid was a dick. Don't care if it was a thousand years ago...
    Though having met him twice, would accept/assume he's not generally racist.

He was undoubtedly ignorant though, but then he could and should should have found out why it was wrong. Especially when he referred to it as "an evil regime".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    It's not that I don't believe that Hodgson could be a racist, he could well be, I just don't believe he's stupid enough to call a black player a monkey to his face in front of the entire squad as a display of racism. I'd say I don't believe anyone's that stupid, but unfortunately, many are.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I was more surprised with how moronic his teamtalk tactics sounded. "Pass the ball to X" suddenly turns into this meandering joke about space monkeys. What will he say before the inevitable penalty shoot out in Brazil? Maybe some sort of "X walks into a bar" thing, where the point is to avoid hitting one.

Less racist and more ignorance of the exact situation and potential offensive nature of it. Ultimately, a storm in a teacup provoked by a single player that should have been kept private.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's not a question of what went down at half time.
    There are always people who are thick enough to ignore the English language, ignore context and impose any cynical interpretation of what went down.
    That type of thing is a form of fascism.
    For me it's a question of the watchdog groups acting with rationality, imposing perspective on any controversy and with regard to defined rules as to what constitutes racism.
    All 3 failed totally in that regard, although Kick it Out belatedly did come to their senses and dismissed the incident entirely.
    Last edited by geysir; 19/10/2013 at 11:28 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    I assume that anyone who ignored apartheid was a dick. Don't care if it was a thousand years ago...
    Though having met him twice, would accept/assume he's not generally racist.

He was undoubtedly ignorant though, but then he could and should should have found out why it was wrong. Especially when he referred to it as "an evil regime".
    You wrote " he worked in apartheid S.Africa and claimed he had no problem with it, at the time"
    That's more than an assumption, that a deliberate,sloppy and inaccurate attempt to implicate Hodgson, as clearly saying had no problem with apartheid.

When in fact, he said he didn't think too much about politics at the time and went for football reasons.

However, it's your prerogative to interpret that with your holier than thou interpretation, but at least correctly quote or paraphrase what the man said in the first place, so we don't have to go and find out what he actually said is something very different and open for many other interpretations.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    If you say so. Wayful misreading and misinterpretation there. Not for the first time.
    If anyone's being 'holier than thou', it's not me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    This racism thing is getting completely ridiculously over the last few years. Every word that is been said is over analysed and if you say one single word, certain groups pick on it and claim it a racist comment. Look at the meaning of the word racism:

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Out of Hodgson's joke, which one of those meanings does it violate?

Why is the word "Monkey" deemed to be racist? What if he said, Space Dog, or Space Badger, would the groups come out and say it was racist, cause that joke could apply to any animal, but for some reason, we cannot use Monkey to describe anything. For example, if a commentator was to say about a black player, "That goalkeeper is as agile as a Monkey", that is probably a racist comment nowadays, even though there is absolutely no reference to race in that statement.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Certain words are definitely racist, insulting, derogatory, never to be spoken etc,
    For the rest of the words in the oxford dictionary, context gives them meaning.
    If you remove context from the english language, then any interpretation can be imagined. If you let context be defined by morons, black clouds of despair will cover society

In one discussion I had with people from all over the world (but maybe 60% from USA) there was a thread I started about methods on giving up cigarettes, only I used certain terms in the post 'giving up the fags', 'gasping for a fag', 'pack of fags' etc. Some pc fascists just would not give up and hounded me over the use of the word 'fags'. That's a homophobic word, yes it is but it's also in the Oxford dictionary and in daily common use by millions of people for hundreds of years - meaning a cigarette. Somebody from a Canadian city, pointed out for the last 10 years their gay pride march had merrily passed right by a small shop called 'Fags & Mags', with not a murmur of discontent. Even when context beyond doubt has been established, in a thread about giving up cigarettes, they would not back down about the use of the word 'fag' being offensive. Their not backing down, or refusing to be educated - my interpretation , had nothing to do with respect for gays, it had to do with their dogma, their insistence to ignore context and be the equivalent of the John Birch Society.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Certain words are definitely racist, insulting, derogatory, never to be spoken etc,
    Even in instances of parody, satire, re-appropriation or sarcastic mockery?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Even in instances of parody, satire, re-appropriation or sarcastic mockery?
    Reappropriation, a trendy word indeed, where the dirty word has been cleansed and made appropriate to use.
    If such a word has been fully reappropriated, then it isn't an issue any longer, is it?

Anti-racist parody and satire are another context, it doesn't dawn on me to consider that as part of the racist agenda in sport. Just take some things as understood, Danny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    For the rest of the words in the oxford dictionary, context gives them meaning.
    If you remove context from the english language, then any interpretation can be imagined. If you let context be defined by morons, black clouds of despair will cover society

In one discussion I had with people from all over the world (but maybe 60% from USA) there was a thread I started about methods on giving up cigarettes, only I used certain terms in the post 'giving up the fags', 'gasping for a fag', 'pack of fags' etc. Some pc fascists just would not give up and hounded me over the use of the word 'fags'. That's a homophobic word, yes it is but it's also in the Oxford dictionary and in daily common use by millions of people for hundreds of years - meaning a cigarette. Somebody from a Canadian city, pointed out for the last 10 years their gay pride march had merrily passed right by a small shop called 'Fags & Mags', with not a murmur of discontent. Even when context beyond doubt has been established, in a thread about giving up cigarettes, they would not back down about the use of the word 'fag' being offensive. Their not backing down, or refusing to be educated - my interpretation , had nothing to do with respect for gays, it had to do with their dogma, their insistence to ignore context and be the equivalent of the John Birch Society.
    But the question remains, at what point did you mention Nazis?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    You have nazis on the brain, Bonnie.
    Any other question, perchance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    You have nazis on the brain, Bonnie.
    Any other question, perchance?
    I do, do I?

Surely Godwin's Law was put into action at some point?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    UEFA prove themselves useless orifices IMO.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast