Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Merged Leagues

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Merged Leagues

In 1966,Celtic won a European Cup with a squad of mostly academy players,now a days they need a Greek-man who looks like Jesus to get past Barcelona.

Smaller countries are struggling to keep up with the money and fancy imports in other nations.So I think the only way forward for small countries (like us) is to merge leagues with other small nations in order to increase the standard and financial standing of their leagues.

This would be fairly straight forward for the Celtic nations IMO.The four Welsh teams in the English system,the finalists of the Setanta Cup and six SPL teams would make a fine league.The bottom two get relegated and are replaced by play off winners.The old firm will have some competition and the two big Welsh teams will have an easier route to European football.
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Would a merged league increase financial standing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Be an absolutely awful idea. Not to mention it would completely kill any hope of a decent league here.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    This would be fairly straight forward for the Celtic nations IMO.The four Welsh teams in the English system
    Swansea will be thrilled to hear they get a chance to play in stadia like Windsor Park and even the fabled Turner's Cross, instead of sh!tholes like the Emirates and Wembley.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    There is no incentive for the Welsh clubs you mention to join such an endeavour, compared to what they currently have.

I see no attraction for either the LOI or the IL from such a scheme.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    In 1966,

Celtic won a European Cup with a squad of mostly academy players,
    Academy? Maybe local. Like a lot of clubs bar the biggest in Europe at the time.

now a days they need a Greek-man who looks like Jesus to get past Barcelona.
    a foreigner used to get past a Barcelona side containing foreigners. But they beat them. Didn't they?

Tony Watt scored the goal... He was in the Airdrie United "Academy" I'm sure.

Smaller countries are struggling to keep up with the money and fancy imports in other nations.So I think the only way forward for small countries (like us) is to merge leagues with other small nations in order to increase the standard and financial standing of their leagues.
    The only league I want to merge the LOI with is the IL and even then it is not something I want with how things are.

We need to develop our own league. We do not need to take on the problems of the SFL and LOW and IL whilst doing it.

This would be fairly straight forward for the Celtic nations IMO.
    Opinions can be wrong. In this case you are.

The four Welsh teams in the English system,the finalists of the Setanta Cup and six SPL teams would make a fine league.The bottom two get relegated and are replaced by play off winners.The old firm will have some competition and the two big Welsh teams will have an easier route to European football.
    Swansea City have just won the League Cup. Cardiff have spent a fortune trying to get to the EPL and have changed their blinking colours in the process. I'm sure their true desire is to play in Easter Road and Terryland (Oh wait, no team play there)... eh the Brandywell...

This has short-term novelty value in your own head. Nothing more.

I figured this was going to be a discussion about potential real mergers like Ukraine and Russia and Czech and Slovak which are being mooted.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    There's also the womens football BeNe league between Belgium and the Netherlands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post

a foreigner used to get past a Barcelona side containing foreigners. But they beat them. Didn't they?

Just had to clear this up..7 of Barcas starting team that night were Spanish. The 3 subs brought on were also Spanish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    It wouldn't work, especially not in this format. The Welsh wouldn't want to join it (well, Newport or Wrexham might, I suppose), the Scottish might be fairly indifferent, and the FAI/IFA teams would get tanked every week, which wouldn't really attract the barstoolers.

At the moment, the best thing would be some sort of Celtic Cup, along the lines of the Setanta, only marketed well and containing relative glamour teams like Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee, and the Welsh clubs if they wanted to participate. That would be slightly more likely to get off the ground, and the LOI clubs could use the big cup ties to boost their image and get people through the gates.

It wouldn't be a panacea, but anything that would increase the profile of the league is a good thing.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    And League of Ireland ties could look forward to glamour "away" ties against Celtic in such locations as the Aviva Stadium and Thomond Park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    And League of Ireland ties could look forward to glamour "away" ties against Celtic in such locations as the Aviva Stadium and Thomond Park.
    While raking in the cash from tens of thousands of barstoolers paying through the turnstiles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    There's also the womens football BeNe league between Belgium and the Netherlands.
    That's the other one I missed out on. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Just had to clear this up..7 of Barcas starting team that night were Spanish. The 3 subs brought on were also Spanish
    I was gonna go look at the teams but the fact that Villa was bought in from Valencia and Messi whilst foreign was an academy player I felt it didn't warrant further dissection beyond my implication.

I don't get what the OP's actual problem was with Celtic "relying" on Samaras was to be honest.

Is Sligo "relying" on Elding the major problem with the LOI or Shams previous usage of Twigg for that matter?
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 08/04/2013 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Ah yeah, I'm just yankin' your tail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Ah yeah, I'm just yankin' your tail.
    Well stop it or I'll send you to Toronto.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Free holiday? Sweet..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post

Academy? Maybe local. Like a lot of clubs bar the biggest in Europe at the time.

Tony Watt scored the goal... He was in the Airdrie United "Academy" I'm sure.

The only league I want to merge the LOI with is the IL and even then it is not something I want with how things are.

We need to develop our own league. We do not need to take on the problems of the SFL and LOW and IL whilst doing it.

Opinions can be wrong. In this case you are.

Swansea City have just won the League Cup. Cardiff have spent a fortune trying to get to the EPL and have changed their blinking colours in the process. I'm sure their true desire is to play in Easter Road and Terryland (Oh wait, no team play there)... eh the Brandywell...

This has short-term novelty value in your own head. Nothing more.

I figured this was going to be a discussion about potential real mergers like Ukraine and Russia and Czech and Slovak which are being mooted.
    I was just using the idea of a Celtic league because it's closer to home.

If we haven't been able to form a decent league at home in the last fort years why would we now?
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    So, what happens to everyone other than Sligo Rovers/Derry/Shams in your system? We just make do, keep trying for the prize of losing in a play-off to Scottish teams?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    So, what happens to everyone other than Sligo Rovers/Derry/Shams in your system? We just make do, keep trying for the prize of losing in a play-off to Scottish teams?
    Obviously the loi's sole representatives would be zombie galway united