Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highest ground in LOI?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horton View Post
    Going by that website Nigel, the cemetery side of the Brandywell pitch is roughly 3 metres higher than the Lecky Road side. I know our pitch ain't flat, but surely it's not that bad?
    Have heard this before as well. It does seem a significant elevation but considering the pitch would be around 102 metres in length with this alleged elevation of 3 metres from one end to the other, I don't think the angle of elevation, even with the pitch rising by 3 metres over its entire length, would necessarily be as perceptible to the human eye as you might think. How does one work out the angle of elevation here?:

Pythagoras' theorum? Surely that hasn't actually come in for possible real-world use for the first time since my maths GCSE over a decade ago?! (Help!)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I heard from someone who worked on the construction of the Southend Park stand - that there was a 6 foot drop from one end of the stand to the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I remember reading before that the Centre of the pitch at Croker is a metre higher than the four corners for drainage.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Have heard this before as well. It does seem a significant elevation but considering the pitch would be around 102 metres in length with this alleged elevation of 3 metres from one end to the other, I don't think the angle of elevation, even with the pitch rising by 3 metres over its entire length, would necessarily be as perceptible to the human eye as you might think. How does one work out the angle of elevation here?:

Pythagoras' theorum? Surely that hasn't actually come in for possible real-world use for the first time since my maths GCSE over a decade ago?! (Help!)
    Trig. Get out yer log books.

It's about an angle of 1.4-1.5 degrees.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 03/04/2013 at 1:48 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Silly Old Harry
    Caught A Herring
    Trawling Off America

I think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Trig. Get out yer log books.

It's about an angle of 1.4-1.5 degrees.
    I should probably get out my old spelling books too after misspelling "elevation" like that in the diagram!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I should probably get out my old spelling books too after misspelling "elevation" like that in the diagram!
    I depressingly enjoyed messing about with tan. For a change.

FYI It's 1.43°. God bless excel.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 03/04/2013 at 1:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Supposedly, taking a corner from the bottom side of the pitch, beside the away supporters, standing upright, you are looking directly at the bottom of the corner flag at the other corner of the field, or something to that effect.

I'd well believe it's a good bit above sea level too. The Foyle itself is still pretty high up in Derry. For instance, travelling from Muff to Derry, you can see most of the city up on top of a hill, the Brandywell itself being on the side of the hill essentially. I'd well believe that it's fairly high up.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Supposedly, taking a corner from the bottom side of the pitch, beside the away supporters, standing upright, you are looking directly at the bottom of the corner flag at the other corner of the field, or something to that effect.

I'd well believe it's a good bit above sea level too. The Foyle itself is still pretty high up in Derry. For instance, travelling from Muff to Derry, you can see most of the city up on top of a hill, the Brandywell itself being on the side of the hill essentially. I'd well believe that it's fairly high up.
    The City of Derry airport is at an altitude of 7 metres, but then that's a bit outside the city as well. According to this, the average elevation of the city itself is 24 metres. Not sure how reliable that site would be, mind.

This amused me:

Alternative Names
    Alternative names for Derry, United Kingdom include: Derri,Derry,Derry / Londonderry,Derry City,Dhoire,Doire,Doire Choluim Chille,Ker Dherow,LDY,Londonderry,dry,rondonderi,Дерри,דרי,ロン ドンデリー
    "Ker Dherow" appears to be a specific name for the city in Polish. Never heard of that one before.

And "rondonderi"? That must be how the local Asian community refer to the city then...

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    silly old harry
    caught a herring
    trawling off america

i think?
    sohcahtoa ... Wft?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12