Thread: Irish Football Blog

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Thoughts on Austria Game

Alright lads,

I set up a blog a while back with some stuff that I was doing during the Euros and have done a few more for this campaign since. Latest thoughts are below and the old ones are on the link in the signature, any feedback appreciated!

Still fooking gutted, having to relive that last 20 minutes writing about it was a nightmare!

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/201...s-deepest.html

Irish Football Blog - A False First XI - http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/
    Last edited by Drumcondra 69er; 27/03/2013 at 8:26 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Love it Tony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Good read, I demand more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Set up a blog a while back too; might as well throw it up in this thread. Started a new job last month, so I haven't had as much time to post (on here or in my blog), but a damage report of the Austria game is in the pipeline. http://anditscomethroughhere.blogspot.kr/

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    Good read, I demand more.
    Cheers mate. Click on the second link and scroll down and there's old stuff from the Sweden and Germany games as well as some pieces from Poland last summer. Might be some typos on the Poland ones, they were done on an iPhone on various trains or in.hotels so predictive text got hold occasionally! Should really fix them up....
    Last edited by Drumcondra 69er; 28/03/2013 at 8:02 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Nice one, T.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I've opened up both blogs and will take a read during the day, but why the white text on black background? I can feel my eyes getting strained even at the thought of reading it.
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Cheers mate. Click on the second link and scroll down and there's old stuff from the Sweden and Germany games as well as some pieces from Poland last summer. Might be some typos on the Poland ones, they were done on an iPhone on various trains or in.hotels so predictive text got hold occasionally! Should really fix them up....
    I'm heartened to read that it was circumstances other than consumption of alcohol, that contributed to some mistakes, thereby putting a small nail into the stereotype drunken Irish fan

The blog is very good read, keep it up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    I've opened up both blogs and will take a read during the day, but why the white text on black background? I can feel my eyes getting strained even at the thought of reading it.
    Have you not an option in your browser to switch the format of a page, for easier reading?

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    Haven't settled on a format, played around with a few templates on Word Press and blogger and thought that one looked okay.

Cheers for the feedback, am open to suggestions on it, the original blog was just a Facebook.Euro diary so only set the blogger template up last month.

If anyone knows how to get one image to fill the background rather than the tiled effect let me know as well, every tIme I click single image using a picture small enough to be uploaded I only get a small image in the top left?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Have you not an option in your browser to switch the format of a page, for easier reading?
    BOOM, I've learned something new! View -> Page Style -> No Style and away I go. Cheers, I prefer having No Style anyway
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I'm heartened to read that it was circumstances other than consumption of alcohol, that contributed to some mistakes, thereby putting a small nail into the stereotype drunken Irish fan

The blog is very good read, keep it up.
    No, they were done when I was hungover rather than drunk!

Twitter: @afalsefirstxi

To Follow on Facebook go to:https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Great stuff D69er and Supreme Feet. Some genuinely prophetic stuff in SF's Poland review, unfortunately.

I'm thinking of establishing a blog myself and may PM both of you for advice. I also want to add discussion on issues like development, finance & governance.

I may call mine "Mit Kick and rush" after the German language commentary of the austria game that tricky posted!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Fair play, a decent read and pretty much concurs with exactly how I read the game. Will have a read through some of the others later.

Outside of what you wrote....

McClean - I accept that he was a great presence for us in an attacking sense and I also think he worked back well when he needed to. His crossing when the ball was 'in play' was great, some cracking balls once he had gone outside his man and whipped the ball in. However his set pieces (well corners mainly, cant remember if he took any frees) were woeful and what makes matters worse, even once Whelan stepped up to take once off his hands resulting in our 2nd goal, we then reverted back to McClean taking more poor ones - Wtf was that all about?? Surely Trap, O'Shea, Whelan even needed to step up and dictate that he'd had enough chances at that point and Whelan /ANOther should be taking them. Lacking a leader on the pitch?

Also, not sure why, but McClean seemed to favour coming inside the fullback. When he did, he mainly ran up a blind alley and lost possession. When he went outside, he generally put in a good ball. Did he not think he had the pace to beat his fullback on the outside? surely it would make sense to go on to his favoured left foot? If he really does prefer to come in side (I dont see him enough for Sunderland to know) shouldnt we try a switch mid game and put him on the right wing and let him come inside on to his favoured foot?

On James McCarthy - I thought he had a great game for us initially. His touch, awareness and willignness to accept the ball in any situation is a breath of fresh air. However after talking to the lads after the game, I would accept and concede that he did go very quiet in the 2nd half. We needed him more than ever then to get a grip of the ball, get a grip of the game and keep possession. However, his lack of experience or perhaps it was just he was generally being pulled down to the level we were sinking to as a team, deeper and deeper in to our own half, hoofing the ball out, meant it was coming straight back.

It was simple for me. Double sub on 60 minutes. Sammon off for Doyle, Hoolahan on for Whelan. Pretty much same formation perhaps with Hoolahan more advanced and McCarthy withdrawn.

If pressure was still coming and that change had not delivered any returns, then Walters Off and Green. Green tucking in if required. Doyle could obvioulsly drop deeper to assist in the middle etc...

On a side note, was in the Beggars Bush myself before the game (well outside it actually) and I was chatting to a few of the brummie Irish in Kellys in Stockholm (I think I read you knock about with them at games right?) so probably know yer face.
    Last edited by Junior; 28/03/2013 at 1:40 PM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Someone said to me (quoting one of the RTE pundits?) that when MacClean lacks confidence he goes inside.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Set up a blog a while back too; might as well throw it up in this thread. Started a new job last month, so I haven't had as much time to post (on here or in my blog), but a damage report of the Austria game is in the pipeline. http://anditscomethroughhere.blogspot.kr/
    Just had a read there mate, very good.

Twitter: @afalsefirstxi

To Follow on Facebook go to:https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Two very good reads there lads. Keep it up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Slow day in work, finally got around to reviewing the Austria game. http://anditscomethroughhere.blogspo...ia-review.html

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Slow day in work, finally got around to reviewing the Austria game. http://anditscomethroughhere.blogspo...ia-review.html
    Couldn't agree more. Well said.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Well said.
    Yeah, would find it hard to disagree with much in there, good piece....

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast