Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    Very good as usual.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    After reading Drum's blog, I'm glad that it's now an accepted fact, that while the contract lay on the table MON did interviews with other EPL clubs and the whole reason for the delay in signing that contract were down to the financial terms of the contract, namely the salary which had to be increased by a reputed Eur 600k in order to gain his signature.
    I don't call that good business, I'd call that a thundering disgrace. Even Trap bowed somewhat and accepted a lower salary. Irish football was royally screwed by MON, probably the most deluded of all managers who felt he was actually worth 50% more after the overall performances in the 2018 WC qualifiers.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    After reading Drum's blog, I'm glad that it's now an accepted fact, that while the contract lay on the table MON did interviews with other EPL clubs and the whole reason for the delay in signing that contract were down to the financial terms of the contract, namely the salary which had to be increased by a reputed Eur 600k in order to gain his signature.
    I don't call that good business, I'd call that a thundering disgrace. Even Trap bowed somewhat and accepted a lower salary. Irish football was royally screwed by MON, probably the most deluded of all managers who felt he was actually worth 50% more after the overall performances in the 2018 WC qualifiers.
    To be honest, if the reported 1.2m salary for McCarthy is correct, then they've clearly learned nothing. I can only surmise that they've put a premium on the salary to ensure he'll step aside in 2 years.

The amount of different leaks being given to different journos yesterday is indicative of a dysfunctional media department as well. People within the organisation should be singing from the same hymn sheet but clearly weren't on point.
    Irish Football Blog - A False First XI - http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/

Twitter: @afalsefirstxi

To Follow on Facebook go to:https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    To be honest, if the reported 1.2m salary for McCarthy is correct, then they've clearly learned nothing. I can only surmise that they've put a premium on the salary to ensure he'll step aside in 2 years.

The amount of different leaks being given to different journos yesterday is indicative of a dysfunctional media department as well. People within the organisation should be singing from the same hymn sheet but clearly weren't on point.
    Its good money alright . I’d take it myself if it was going . A bit of a sweetener alright . I hope it works out for all of us . We need the Irish soccer team to give us a smile or two .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    First off, Bill, this was an opinion piece musing on whether things might have been different had there never been a split. Nothing more despite what you seem determined to read into it
    Morning Tony. I disagree with your opinions on this issue so I've answered them. Whether you were explicit or implicit.

There's plenty of evidence in the likes of Green Shoots, The Irish Soccer Split and even Green is the Colour. Informal talks are still talks. Even the use of gentleman's agreement implies informality
    What is it then? A couple of lines would do. You know, who were the people who discussed what in which year?

It's a blog / newspaper opinion, not a thesis, I'm not going to reference every piece of anecdotal evidence involved and it's ludicrous for you to bang on about it in that context
    I'm not asking for every anecdote- just any evidence. You've offered none whatever. It's entirely reasonable for me to ask, and petulant for you to refuse as above. More importantly, if you can't/ won't back up your argument it doesn't look very strong...

It's not on the agenda with the associations which was my point, aplogies if that wasn't clear
    I know. As I pointed out I disagree that that's particularly relevant. In 2018, the all-Ireland team argument is all over all sorts of media. In 1978- with far fewer media outlets- it was supposedly being discussed by the two FAs, except you aren't telling us anything about it

I've been at every home match v NI since 1989. I've not witnessed an atmosphere like last Thursday's at any, it was far more sectarian than before and disgusted me
    That's a shame. I wasn't there this month (listened on Radio Ulster) but was in 1989. When some gurrier on the Havelock Square terraces set fire to a Union Jack just behind me. I wish you success improving the unpleasant attitude at your games

Utterly missing the point. I clearly say that sport unifies. The whole point of the piece is wondering if it may have unified football fans from different traditions had there not been a split
    No, I'm challenging the point rather than missing it. For all the united Ireland teams you celebrate, Ireland is still divided a century on. Given that I doubt the absence of a NI team would have made any significant difference to wider politics, society etc.

Sport unifies in the sense that it provides international competition. It clearly doesn't lead to unity in other areas as I've said.

I disagree that's the reason. You're etitled to your opinion though
    Ta. I notice you don't actually explain why you challenge it. Much easier just to assume AI teams are the natural order of things and any exception must be the abberation, eh?

while the likes of the boxers have represented NI in the commonwealth games, they've done so under the administartion of the Irish governing body. My point relates to administrative bodies
    And mine to which competitions they take part in. If a NI team goes to CG regularly it's clearly separate from the Southern guys who don't. That there's an umbrella admin body doesn't deny that, effectively, there are 2 teams

Where do I suggest they are? I made the point that [ unpleasant events 70 and 50 years ago] happened in a historical context. That's all
    If you aren't using them as a basis for achieving an improved situation in the future then it's just ancient whataboutery

Well, sorry to burst your bubble but using GTSQ as an anthem and the Ulster Banner as a flag do. I noted the laudable efforts of the IFA re exclusivity in the piece but those two items are still th eelephant in the room. Only a fool would argue otherwise
    More cliche. The NI (team's) flag is accepted by FIFA, UEFA, all their members, and basically all non-Nationalist opinion in NI. The idea that people are too embarrassed to talk about it is clearly daft- Nationalist politicians, journos and fans do so regularly. Even if some of them realise the doublethink- ie, they want the NI team to be less Unionist, but not to the extent where lots of Nationalists start supporting it

As for GSTQ, broadly same point applies. I predict England will abandon it at some point, we'll follow, and the usual suspects will continue to gurn about its successor

No, it isn't. I fully recognise the right of the NI team to exist. The entire piece is predicated on a hypothetical scenario where they would have remained the single team on the island ffs
    Even in a very distorted version of your hypothesis, it's not really credible that one AI team would have continued through the 1920s and beyond, playing its matches in Belfast for a mainly Unionist crowd. Fans in the South wouldn't have tolerated that. And I imagine fans in NI would have been equally unwilling to support a team based in Dublin. No doubt you'll cite the rugby example- but they continued largely as before without any such upheaval

You would presumably prefer the second of those scenarios, which would be the NI team disappearing in practice. It's misleading, even dishonest to pretend otherwise. Ffs indeed

Simply pointing out that the pattern of northern nationlists declaring for Ireland makes it easier to preserve the status quo
    There's something in that- our fans moan that the FAI deliberately 'poach' players only from Nationalist areas in NI. In reality, they'd take a guy from the Waterside or Sandy Row were he good enough. But mainly the status quo endures because on our side there is no demand whatever to change it

Had a split never occurred that may have been less of an issue
    Obviously I'm suggesting that the likelihood of a split not happening was always far-fetched

How on earth do you conme to that conclussion??
    You said, "the soccer split on the island has simply [read, solely] given some another platform to show off their prejudices". You'll accept that one implication of that is that it's done nothing else of worth- obviously I disagree. If that's not what you meant fair enough

I should be staggered that you managed to find so much to be offended by in the piece but having read your posts over the years I'm sad to say I'm not
    Spare us the clumsy false outrage. Why would you be staggered at NI fans disagreeing with you on this issue- even when you present it as a convoluted daydream? I'm not offended btw, I just like arguing the point. You on the other hand don't like being challenged. If so, why not stick to 'What I did on my holidays' travelogs?

I bring my bias and happily admit to it. You deny yours.
    Last edited by Gather round; 25/11/2018 at 12:36 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    More pompous drivel FB.

#DoBetter

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Morning Tony. I disagree with your opinions on this issue so I've answered them. Whether you were explicit or implicit.

What is it then? A couple of lines would do. You know, who were the people who discussed what in which year?

I'm not asking for every anecdote- just any evidence. You've offered none whatever. It's entirely reasonable for me to ask, and petulant for you to refuse as above. More importantly, if you can't/ won't back up your argument it doesn't look very strong...

I know. As I pointed out I disagree that that's particularly relevant. In 2018, the all-Ireland team argument is all over all sorts of media. In 1978- with far fewer media outlets- it was supposedly being discussed by the two FAs, except you aren't telling us anything about it

That's a shame. I wasn't there this month (listened on Radio Ulster) but was in 1989. When some gurrier on the Havelock Square terraces set fire to a Union Jack just behind me. I wish you success improving the unpleasant attitude at your games
    Your exact response was "They shoot Fenians don't they", repeated ad nauseum.

Gross hypocrisy.

Plus most of your other waffle is irrelevant given the North is liable to disappear in the next 25 years or so.

So it'll be a UI team, like it or lump it.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    ^^^^^^
    Your probably trying to soothe the waters but A United Ireland is not going to take 25 years to happen .
    Last edited by seanfhear; 29/11/2018 at 11:12 AM.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    It will with a Hard Brexit Sean...

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    He means it will take less than 25, I'd say AB.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Sean and Crafty- 25 years until a UI sounds plausible. So 6 more Euros and 7 sets of WC qualifiers then?

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    https://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.com/2...with-wind.html

Blog on the Gibraltar trip, match and FAI shenanigans for anyone interested.

Couldn't finish yesterday due to other commitments so slightly out of date...

Will have more positive Georgia blog tomorrow!

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Courtin' and the Hourihane - Blog on Georgia game finally finished for these interested in a read about the match and the protest.

https://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.com/2...hourihane.html

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    And for anyone wondering why the blog didn't arrive yesterday, here's the Put 'em under pressure podcast about the game we recorded yesterday evening. Subscribe through the link to get them as they arrive.

https://soundcloud.com/user-589408046/peup-2

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Not blogged in a long time but had to put a few words down to make the passing of such a legend.

https://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.com/2...a-changed.html

22. Thanks From:

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789