Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAI are Slaves to English Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts

FAI are Slaves to English Football

That is according to Johnny Glynn, manager of Mervue United who gave an interview to a french based website:

It is translated about half way down.

http://www.be-celt.com/2013/03/25/jo...tball-anglais/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Who's the Shams player to the left of McBrien and Russell in the photo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    What does he mean by "The FAI are happy to be slaves to the English game"? What is the sense in making a remark like that and not explaining it.

He also states " The only thing I can say about the National team is that Mr Trappatoniand his backroom teams combined salary would quadruple the investment that is made in developing Irish football". Apart from the fact that half of that is paid by Denis O'Brien, where does he think that the money for investment will come from unless the national team is successful. Chicken and egg situation. Perhaps we should have hired Paul Jewell as advocated by Giles/Dunphy and recently sacked by Ipswich.

These sort of generalisations without expansion are irritating. Ok, probably not room in the piece but perhaps a sentence more or two.

Graham Barrett had a brief spell as a slave at Sheffield Wednesday.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    My opinion is that the FAI let the English game and hence style lead our destiny . The FAI do nothing to change the pattern of most of our talent going to the uk.

Imagine if they created a scholarship scheme to place 50-100 teens each year in Ajax, Barcelona , Real Masrid, Milan etc. the FAI would pay these academy's to take the irish guys but these clubs would also get first call on signing them if they like what they see. End result we start developing players not instilled with the English game style which at international level is struggling.

Just my thoughts .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    What does he mean by "The FAI are happy to be slaves to the English game"? What is the sense in making a remark like that and not explaining it.

He also states " The only thing I can say about the National team is that Mr Trappatoniand his backroom teams combined salary would quadruple the investment that is made in developing Irish football". Apart from the fact that half of that is paid by Denis O'Brien, where does he think that the money for investment will come from unless the national team is successful. Chicken and egg situation. Perhaps we should have hired Paul Jewell as advocated by Giles/Dunphy and recently sacked by Ipswich.

These sort of generalisations without expansion are irritating. Ok, probably not room in the piece but perhaps a sentence more or two.

Graham Barrett had a brief spell as a slave at Sheffield Wednesday.
    The article seems to have changed - the title is now "Irish clubs do not have the means to succeed" and I see no mention of the national team.

However, even without context, I don't see how the part about slaves to the english game could be misconstrued. (All the eggs having been put in one basket the chickens are now coming home to roost.)

We're zealots on here for pointing it out, but the national league is suddenly developing nearly half the international squad - despite the almost willful ignorance of the fai and the majority of irish football fans. Extrapolate!

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post

Unless your thick or part of the ole ole brigade - its obvious!
    The way things are going at the moment it seems the national team need the LOI more than the other way round.

9. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I thought his point was fairly obvious and well-considered. The FAI plays approximately no role in player development and actively ignores the domestic league it technically runs. This can be clearly contrasted to the pro-active stance of the French FA, which promotes player development in spite of a well-developed domestic academy structure and a strong league. If you're going to produce elite players, you have to be prepared to put the structures in place and the FAI simply isn't.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    The French have rather more money in their domestic game. By virtue of being a rather bigger country, with more fans...
    And less other distractions in terms of team sports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    The French have rather more money in their domestic game. By virtue of being a rather bigger country, with more fans...
    And less other distractions in terms of team sports.
    So, this money you speak of, did it just fall from the sky?
    Put an extra 3,000 people into Irish grounds each week and we'd have a much healthier league.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I like the assumption that the Irish would follow and support the Breton clubs in France, whereas in reality, the majority of Irish people would have no idea that Bretagne has a Celtic connection.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    And Celtic have an Irish connection. It's a crazy circle.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    What the issue here? Irish people, in general, are slaves to English football. The most supported sports team in Ireland isn't Munster/Leinster in the rugby or even Dublin/Cotk in the GAA. It's Man Utd and the next 2 are Liverpool and Celtic.

The FAI are made up, in general, by these same people.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Nights like last night will continue to happen as long as we send our kids across the water. The time for a sea change in the way players are coached and taught in this country was at least 20 years ago. I like the idea of trying to send our best kids to the continent for coaching (fanciful I know) because we are so deficient in trying to keep the ball that it's embarrassing. Are our kids inherently inferior to kids in Europe? No.
    I often wonder is there a bigger influence from the GAA in how we play football in this island than we realise? By that I mean when you see a GAA player (particularly a back) in possession his instinct is to get rid of the ball asap.
    By the way I'm not having a go at the GAA here but is it possible the culture of how we play other team sports in this island influences our thinking in approach to football? Jt
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Over the past twenty years the decline in Irish players playing for top English sides has also been huge. We are relying too much on English sides to bring through our internationals or at least have been for the last 20 years even though in recent times most have been released by the time they get near the first teams and end up plying their trade in the championship. Our over reliance on the English system is our downfall. Smaller countries than ours have caught up and passed us out because they have developed within their own systems and not relied on other countries to do it for them.

On the point of money needs to come from the international team for development. Surely a successful LOI with better support means more money coming in, more money coming in means better structures in our own clubs, better players coming through our system and better players going on to international this making a stronger international team and more money coming in that way also. You simply can't just hope good players will come out of nowhere and make the international team successful.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
    Nights like last night will continue to happen as long as we send our kids across the water. The time for a sea change in the way players are coached and taught in this country was at least 20 years ago. I like the idea of trying to send our best kids to the continent for coaching (fanciful I know) because we are so deficient in trying to keep the ball that it's embarrassing. Are our kids inherently inferior to kids in Europe? No.
    I often wonder is there a bigger influence from the GAA in how we play football in this island than we realise? By that I mean when you see a GAA player (particularly a back) in possession his instinct is to get rid of the ball asap.
    By the way I'm not having a go at the GAA here but is it possible the culture of how we play other team sports in this island influences our thinking in approach to football? Jt
    I would agree with that statement as I've had a lot of friends who were excellent athletes and would have made great players but never did because they simply didnt have any football intelligence, they had a very GAA mentality, hit hard, hoof long.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    So, this money you speak of, did it just fall from the sky?
    Put an extra 3,000 people into Irish grounds each week and we'd have a much healthier league.
    Not if they all went to one club.
    There is no comparison really between French & Irish club soccer at the top level, there are many other European countries, eg. in Scandinavia or E.Europe, where the numbers are much closer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    The gaa point is interesting, I've never thought of it that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Not if they all went to one club.
    There is no comparison really between French & Irish club soccer at the top level, there are many other European countries, eg. in Scandinavia or E.Europe, where the numbers are much closer.
    You're still (willfully?) missing the point.

Nobody, other than yourself, is seeking to compare french (or any other) domestic football with our own national league.

It's the player development model employed by the associations.

The french are proactive, whereas the fai are happy to leave it to someone else. Anyone else really - mostly foreign clubs. But increasingly domestic clubs, playing in the widely neglected and oft derided national league.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast