Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens if Mervue win the first division?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts

What happens if Mervue win the first division?

So, eh, I know it's only 3 games in, but Mervue are sitting pretty on top of the table. If they somehow manage to go on and win the first division, they'll surely not be happy to give up their place and would most likely look to play home games at Terryland.

Would this not throw a spanner in the works for the FAI's master plan (which seems to be 1 team in Galway) and the return of GUFC/GUST?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    The same if any club wins the first division. If they win it they'll be promoted, then the following year they'd probably be relegated again. GUFC is dead and GUST is only a pipe dream going no where so it makes no difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Whilst Waterford United were abysmal last night, credit where credit is due - Mervue played really well: neat passing, fast on the break, and in Conor Gleeson look to have a genuine talent between the sticks.

The standard of the division is woeful, and on last night's evidence, Mervue are as good as anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    GUFC is dead and GUST is only a pipe dream going no where so it makes no difference.
    It's clear the FAI have shafted GUST to some extent and fobbed them off about licensing etc. But I still thought that even the FAI ultimately wanted to have a 'Galway United' of some form or another playing in Terryland. It's the only way LOI football would be viable in the county.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Just because a team wins promotion, it doesn't mean they get to play in the premier division.

Particularly, when Galway United are involved.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    "What happens if Mervue win the first division?"

The Gusties' heads explode and Michael D declares martial law.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    We were actually talking about this one the way home last night realistically only 3 clubs in the FD could go up at this moment in time Town, Waterford and Athlone as they are the only grounds up to standard, surely Harps wouldnt be allowed up with a ground like that? I know they are building a new stadium but that wont be ready by next season should they go up.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    We were actually talking about this one the way home last night realistically only 3 clubs in the FD could go up at this moment in time Town, Waterford and Athlone as they are the only grounds up to standard, surely Harps wouldnt be allowed up with a ground like that? I know they are building a new stadium but that wont be ready by next season should they go up.
    Cobh could in theory with Coleman's Park, they've used it in the Premier Division only a few years back.

11. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Plans for a new ground are all that's required judging by previous licence awards. There's not a chance of any club being kept down because of their ground.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    If Mervue win the First Division, they should get to play in the Premier, as long as the correct licensing requirements are fulfilled. They earned it if they win it.

That would provide a headache though, because three Galway clubs is still unsustainable and GUST will, presumably, be trying to get back in in some form next year. But if I was placing them in an order of consideration/merit, FD champions would be at the top.

I really doubt it will be an issue though. A good start for Mervue, but lets see if they have the legs.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    The same if any club wins the first division. If they win it they'll be promoted, then the following year they'd probably be relegated again. GUFC is dead and GUST is only a pipe dream going no where so it makes no difference.
    Been told recently that you're being nothing but a spam merchant on here.

Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Plans are in place for this sort of situation. Partly because of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Plans for a new ground are all that's required judging by previous licence awards. There's not a chance of any club being kept down because of their ground.
    Harps played 2005 and 2008 in the Premier Division in Finn Park. No reason why we wouldn't be allowed again when plans are in place for 2015.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    This crossed my mind as well. I have seen 3 of the first divison teams play so far this year and I must say the standard of soccer played is really bad. With the players they have I would expect Mervue to be near the top of the table by the end of the season, they underachieved big time last year. If they manage to get promotion we will have an indication of their ability to attract people to go and watch them play and if UCD manage to stay up it will be interesting how the other clubs in the premier divison view them.
    My own opinion is that GUST (or any other club) should be allowed to join the league if they are able to raise the finance that meets all the liciencing criteria.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I think the difference this yr with Mervue is that they got Gary Curran in from Ballinamallard. He played with Tom King in 09 with us and spent a few seasons with Finn Harps and SLigo Rovers. He is a class player and was one of our better players in the Alan Gough/Gareth Cronin era. Is Alan Murphy still playin with them?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    It really all depends on whether Bray need to sneak back into the Premier or not. If they need it, they'll replace Mervue devon United
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Is it not Mervue Devon Supporters' Trust now?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Last edited by gufcfan; 25/03/2013 at 7:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I think the difference this yr with Mervue is that they got Gary Curran in from Ballinamallard. He played with Tom King in 09 with us and spent a few seasons with Finn Harps and SLigo Rovers. He is a class player and was one of our better players in the Alan Gough/Gareth Cronin era. Is Alan Murphy still playin with them?
    Gary also played with Galway United in their last year in existance.

Alan has got sick of the political joke that is Galway soccer and is playing gealic football now.

If mervue go up they deserve a crack at the premier league and best wishes to them. In saying that, GUST will still be applying for a first division licence for the 2014 season as their support within the city and county grows impressively larger and larger. Cannot see salthill devon last beyond this season, but their financial backers will also surely be looking for a licence next season.

The FAI from what I have seen/heard have zero interest in the final outcome in this mess.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    If mervue go up they deserve a crack at the premier league and best wishes to them. In saying that, GUST will still be applying for a first division licence for the 2014 season as their support within the city and county grows impressively larger and larger. Cannot see salthill devon last beyond this season, but their financial backers will also surely be looking for a licence next season.

The FAI from what I have seen/heard have zero interest in the final outcome in this mess.
    Question - have there been, or are there going to be, meetings between the FAI and the "stakeholders" in Galway football in preparation for next year? Or will it just be a case of GUST lodging an application again come the end of this season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    From my recollection there has only been one meeting between all parties since the FAi told GUST that their application was not going to be considered.

There is no need for either Salthill or mervue to do anything as they have nothing to gain from what would possibly emerge from the meetings.

The only people dependant on the meetings are the GUST.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The only people dependant on the meetings are the GUST.
    I don't know would I even say that. I thought the talks were just a sham to kick the can down the road.

Mervue and Salthill have got what they probably wanted out of it the deal and Naughton got his re-election.

From my point of view, Mervue and Salthill would never merge with each other or GUST. Any team representing the region would have to have a name that reflected that.

Neither Salthill nor Mervue would would sacrifice their name and identity for that and rightly so. I thought that the original merger attempt was little more than attempt to absorb the GUST fund-raising machine and volunteers, in Salthill Devon, among other things.

From what I could see, GUST were trying to be part of the solution, helping to see a team inclusive of all of Galway football in the LOI. Any sort of merger with any specific club would alienate the rest of the football community in Galway. 95% of people involved in Galway football are not affiliated with Salthill or Mervue and but are involved with clubs that compete against them at every single level from Junior Premier down to the youngest age-group.

Not that certain people in the FAI gave a damn about the situation in Galway, they have even less interest now that positions have been won and their supporters have been rewarded for their "services to the game".

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast