Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What happens if Mervue win the first division?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Galway United Supporters Trust Incorporating Those Members of Mervue United and Salthill Devon Who Are Of Goodwill Towards The Development Of Senior Football In Galway At A National Level Football Club.
    Not descriptive enough.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Galway United Supporters Trust Incorporating Those Members of Mervue United and Salthill Devon Who Are Of Goodwill Towards The Development Of Senior Football In Galway At A National Level Football Club.
    that won't fit on the front of our dvd

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
    Just throw in lots of helicopters and nobody will notice
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Going slightly of topic here, but Devon are now in serious do-do. With revenue down drastically from the all-weather pitches and players leaving from all age groups, now the junior team have been relegated from the top division in the G&DL. A lot of their members are now asking the directors what lays ahead for the club and have informed me that they will be seeking for a swift return of one club representing Galway in the LOI, a club that doesn't involve their own club.
    Last edited by Terry; 23/04/2013 at 4:02 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    If that's true and they are looking to leave the LoI, will Salthill join the CSL?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    If that's true and they are looking to leave the LoI, will Salthill join the CSL?
    Yes thats why its been set up both salthill and mervue will be playing in CSL

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    It'd be fairly strange to see Mervue drop out of the league if they manage to hold onto a playoff spot. Salthill I can understand leaving thou seeing as they have a poorer record and smaller crowds, don't suppose there's much chance of GUST taking Salthills spot but Mervue hanging on in?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    How could Mervue play in the top tier though, if they did get there, with that level of support and that ground?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    How could Mervue play in the top tier though, if they did get there, with that level of support and that ground?
    I wouldn't expect them to get promoted I highly doubt they ever will, I still think they'll do well to come 3rd. However, there's no reason why they can't be a decent outlet for local talent to play in the 1st division. Having both themselves and Salthill is overkill obviously but I don't necessarily think having one amateur club from galway in the league will hurt GUST long term, they aren't even really competing for the same fan base anyway.

Its not like I'm saying anything new here, but earrah why not..
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 24/04/2013 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
    This time it will be a blu-ray.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    My own prediction is that they will finish 5th. Promotion talk will persist for a good while yet, with them playing Salthill again after Athlone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    My own prediction is that they will finish 5th. Promotion talk will persist for a good while yet, with them playing Salthill again after Athlone.
    I'm not saying they will get promoted, but I do think it's a realistic possibility.

The first division has already had a full series of fixtures (shockingly!) so they've played everyone and they're second. There's no standout team bar maybe Longford.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    I'm not saying they will get promoted, but I do think it's a realistic possibility.

The first division has already had a full series of fixtures (shockingly!) so they've played everyone and they're second. There's no standout team bar maybe Longford.
    The FD is poor, but I don't see Mervue sustaining this form over the season. A full round has been played already, but there are only 3 points between where Mervue are currently and Cobh/Athlone in 4th/5th. I'm not predicting a collapse, I'm just saying that over what's left of the season, the teams immediately below them will earn 3 or 4 points more than Mervue at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    I wouldn't expect them to get promoted I highly doubt they ever will, I still think they'll do well to come 3rd. However, there's no reason why they can't be a decent outlet for local talent to play in the 1st division. Having both themselves and Salthill is overkill obviously but I don't necessarily think having one amateur club from galway in the league will hurt GUST long term, they aren't even really competing for the same fan base anyway.

Its not like I'm saying anything new here, but earrah why not..
    I'd agree with that as well. The urban counties, i.e. those with the cities Cork, Galway and Limerick able to have 2 clubs, where one is probably lower fanbase in the first division. Cork have with Cobh.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Mervue have every chance of remaining in the playoff places in what is a terribly poor first division. Longford are pulling away and should easily get promoted. Mervue have at least as good a team as any of Athlone, Harps, Cobh or Waterford and are ahead of Salthill and Wexford.

However even if Mervue were to get to and win the playoff between the 2nd and 3rd placed first division teams then I couldn't see them beating the second from bottom premier division team. Last season Dundalk were muck in the premier but yet comfortably overcame what was a very strong, compared to this season, Waterford team.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Longford were in much the same position this time last year, and collapsed late on. There's anyone of four teams I'd still say is capable of winning automatic promotion.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    True though I don't think any of the others this year have the relative depth Limerick had last year whilst we've definitely strengthened in key areas. We haven't hit top form yet mind you and an injury to O'Sullivan for any length of time would be a big concern.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Well at least this time if something happens to him, we have Purdy and Shaw to fall back on, as well as a few other decent attackers at this level, last year we had Purdy and Shaw with absolutely nothing worth mentioning behind them, when both got injured we were goosed.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    Mervue have every chance of remaining in the playoff places in what is a terribly poor first division. Longford are pulling away and should easily get promoted. Mervue have at least as good a team as any of Athlone, Harps, Cobh or Waterford and are ahead of Salthill and Wexford.

However even if Mervue were to get to and win the playoff between the 2nd and 3rd placed first division teams then I couldn't see them beating the second from bottom premier division team. Last season Dundalk were muck in the premier but yet comfortably overcame what was a very strong, compared to this season, Waterford team.
    I know that friendlies are not exactly the best way to measure the strength of a team, but Mervue Utd and UCD (currently their most likely opponent) actually played against each other in the pre-season, and Mervue won deservedly. UCD, Bray and Shelbourne seem to be much weaker than last year's Dundalk. Wouldn't rule out Mervue, Finn Harps or anyone else beating one of these three teams.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Longford were in much the same position this time last year, and collapsed late on.
    I think (hope and pray) we've more depth to the squad this year - injuries did for us last season. This season we've already had a good few out and kept going. But time will tell.

Really not seeing the 1st being any poorer than other years tbh. It was skewed the last few years with a few clubs with essentially premier division squads, but the general standard is about the same imo. Couldn't give a toss once we escape this hell hole though.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

24. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast