Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens if Mervue win the first division?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    It's not much of a surprise after recent seasons. It was very competitive the year Cork and Shels were promoted. When was the last season a team was relegated from the Premier without being demoted for off field reasons? Again last season you had the best team Limerick promoted but no team down due to the Monaghan situation.
    Err I think you'll find Dundalk beat Waterford in a play-off....

If we'd have lost we'd have gone down.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Err I think you'll find Dundalk beat Waterford in a play-off....

If we'd have lost we'd have gone down.
    I'm aware of that. There was no team automatically relegated to replace the team automatically promoted. That's what I'm referring to. Who was the last club automatically relegated without off field reasons being the reason for demotion?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    In fairness, it's pretty poor alright. But it's not any worse than other seasons.

All the teams seem to be relatively even this season. There's not a whole lot between them all. On current showings, I'd fancy a few First Division teams to be giving Shels and Bohs and the like a run for their money.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    In fairness, it's pretty poor alright. But it's not any worse than other seasons.

All the teams seem to be relatively even this season. There's not a whole lot between them all. On current showings, I'd fancy a few First Division teams to be giving Shels and Bohs and the like a run for their money.
    Don't forget Shamrock Rovers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    FT Longford 1-1 Mervue. Still up there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think they come under "and the like"...

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I'd take a draw against them to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Good result for Mervue tonight and could easily have been better I believe. Best of luck to them hope they keep it going. If they get promoted to the Premier Division I'll be delighted for them.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd View Post
    Best of luck to them hope they keep it going. If they get promoted to the Premier Division I'll be delighted for them.

Said no Galway fan ever.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Said no Galway fan ever.
    After reading some of his cringe-inducing ramblings on our fans forum, I'm pretty sure he's not one.

Na bac leis.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    "This includes the eventual setting up of a Connacht Senior League, and a Board for the single Galway club composed of a broad spectrum of football and business interests in the Galway area."

The O'Connor Report also suggested that, for a single Galway team to come into existence, the re-establishment of the Connacht Senior League was essential in providing both Devon and Mervue with an outlet for their senior sides.

While all focus has been on the domestic league side, the first steps towards a unified team was actually putting the structures in place for the Connacht Senior League, and that is now set to go ahead in October. Letters were sent to clubs in all four leagues in the jurisdiction of the Connacht FA - Galway, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo/Leitrim - and Art Friel of the Connacht FA has confirmed to Tribune Sport that seven clubs have at least eight teams involved, and as of now it looks like we already have seven. I am still waiting to hear from a number of clubs, and if we can go up to 10 teams being involved, that would be great," said Friel.

John Delaney has previously confirmed that a sponsorship deal has been struck for the CSL on an initial three-year deal, which would give the new league plenty of time to become established. The Connacht FA didn't want to be drawn on the names of the seven clubs that have confirmed and interest, but Devon and Mervue are almost certainly two of those, while it is also likely that both NUI Galway and GMIT would look carefully at the proposal.

A fifth Galway club is also likely, but it may not be a reserve side from the new unified Galway club, which would be left to focus on putting it's foundations in place. Instead, Ballinasloe Town are strong contenders for involvement in the CSL - the east Galway club players in the Roscommon District League, and it needs just one point from its remaining four games to clinch the Premier Division title for a second successive season.

Mayo clubs such as Castlebar Celtic, Ballina Town and Westport United would also be likely contenders for the new league, as would the other League of Ireland clubs in the western area - Sligo Rovers, Longford Town and Athlone Town.

Sligo Rovers recently rejected an invitation to joins the Ulster Senior League, but when contacted about the CSL proposal this week, a spokesperson said the club had no comment to make on the matter.
    I must admit to being jealous of that talk of a CSL and the one set up in Ulster. I'd like to see the FAI step in and try to set one up a Munster District League for the province's 5 other counties. The Munster Sunior League is effectively the Cork Senior League. Will the CSL be open for applicants outside of the province by any chance?!

Back on topic, talk of a 3 year sponsor secured for the CSL leads me to question will it be likely to go the way of the A Championship? I could see a CSL being competed in for 3 years. If they fail to find a sponsor after that, the CSL will be disbanded, the FAI will have the one Galway team they want in the LoI with Salthill and Mervue locked out and without any option but to return to the Galway league or where ever they competed in originally.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    I must admit to being jealous of that talk of a CSL and the one set up in Ulster. I'd like to see the FAI step in and try to set one up a Munster District League for the province's 5 other counties. The Munster Sunior League is effectively the Cork Senior League. Will the CSL be open for applicants outside of the province by any chance?!

Back on topic, talk of a 3 year sponsor secured for the CSL leads me to question will it be likely to go the way of the A Championship? I could see a CSL being competed in for 3 years. If they fail to find a sponsor after that, the CSL will be disbanded, the FAI will have the one Galway team they want in the LoI with Salthill and Mervue locked out and without any option but to return to the Galway league or where ever they competed in originally.
    Apparently they have 7 clubs confirmed for the CSL. Salthill & Mervue rumoured to be two of them. NUIG & GMIT have been mentioned as well.

Other teams speculated include Ballinasloe Town, Castlebar Celtic, Westport Utd, Ballina and possible reserve sides of Sligo, Athlone and Longford. Sligo recently rejected the chance to enter a team in the USL.

Again this is all speculation. The FAI have said they expect the league to start in the Autumn. That remains to be seen.
    Last edited by gufc2000; 07/04/2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Athlone and Longford? Hard to see Sligo fielding a reserve side either with no youth structure to speak of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Athlone and Longford? Hard to see Sligo fielding a reserve side either with no youth structure to speak of.
    Pure speculation, but mentioned in the Connacht Tribune this week.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I'm aware of that. There was no team automatically relegated to replace the team automatically promoted. That's what I'm referring to. Who was the last club automatically relegated without off field reasons being the reason for demotion?
    was it Cobh Ramblers in 2008??
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    After reading some of his cringe-inducing ramblings on our fans forum, I'm pretty sure he's not one.

Na bac leis.
    Not everyone with an interest in the game in Galway is as one eyed as you fortunately. Any LOI exposure local players are getting can only be a good thing. Its good to see one of the two teams aren't a complete laughing stock at least so far. If you went to any Mervue games you'd see that a lot of the people in attendance you'd also have seen at Galway United games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    UCD. Cobh went allll the way to the A Championship.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Just for your education..............

http://www.sligorovers.com/sligo-rov...9-season-glory

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Finn Harps went down the same year.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Connacht Senior League to get go-ahead?

Daniel Carey

THREE clubs from Mayo are among 13 invited to a meeting in the McWilliam Park Hotel, Claremorris next Monday, April 22 regarding the setting up of a Connacht Senior League.
    Westport United, Castlebar Celtic and Ballina Town were contacted by Connacht Football Association Administrator Art Friel last week, as were four Galway teams (Salthill Devon, Mervue United, the Galway United Supporters’ Trust and NUI, Galway), two from Sligo (Sligo Rovers and St John’s Athletic), Ballinsloe Town, Longford Town, Athlone Town and Willow Park.
    Friel told The Mayo News last night (Monday) that eight teams would be required for the League, which is scheduled to kick off in the winter of 2013, to be viable.
    A meeting between members of the Connacht FA and John Delaney and Fran Gavin of the Football Association of Ireland last Tuesday backed setting up the League, and Gavin and Eamon Naughton from the FAI are due to attend next Monday’s meeting along with officers of the Connacht FA.
    The original Connacht Senior League ran between 1981 and the summer of 2000.

(Appeared in the Mayo news yesterday)

27. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast