Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MNS / RTE contract

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts

MNS / RTE contract

There's another thread on the content of MNS (which is a different matter), but I just wanted to highlight the issue that the FAI's current contract with RTE for TV rights is due to end soon.

From here: http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-off...agueofireland/:

In a further commitment to Irish soccer, RTÉ Television are set to increase the coverage of live eircom League of Ireland matches as agreed in the new contract extension announced recently by the FAI. Beginning in 2010, the number of live matches shown by RTÉ will grow each season culminating with 33 live matches (one-per-week) in the final year of the term - the 2013 season.
    Unfortunately the onus might be on us to ensure that pressure is put on when it comes to contract negotiation time. We need to be clear that as LOI fans and TV license payers we want more live games, and MNS to continue in a prime-time slot.

I have emailed the FAI about the issue and will post any response I get.

(On a side note, are we getting our 33 games this year as promised?)
    Last edited by adamd164; 20/03/2013 at 9:56 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    (On a side note, are we getting our 33 games this year as promised?)
    They've already missed one round, haven't they?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Does that figure include cup games?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    They've already missed one round, haven't they?
    Was the Cork game not on?
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    We need to be clear that as LOI fans and TV license payers we want more live games, and MNS to continue in a prime-time slot.
    You sure all fans want more live games? I don't think its all one way

Last year RTE showed 19 league games and 5 FAI Cup games. Setanta showed 7 league games (including both legs of play off) and the League cup final. I don't really see how we could ask for more
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Probably on my own here, but I think the ideal thing would be Sky Sports News style coverage with goals and incidents as they happen from around the premier and at least score updates from the first division. It would mean everybody, or at least nearly everybody having to play at the one time but I think it'd be great entertainment.

Very unlikely to ever happen, but it would be some craic.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    That'd need outside broadcast units so not a goer IMO

Personally I'd have all league games on Friday night with a Saturday night "game of the week" with, say, an 8pm kick off. The TV show would startt at 7 and include highlights form the Friday night
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    You sure all fans want more live games? I don't think its all one way

Last year RTE showed 19 league games and 5 FAI Cup games. Setanta showed 7 league games (including both legs of play off) and the League cup final. I don't really see how we could ask for more
    True, maybe not everyone wants more live coverage, but from a sponsorship point of view the more the better for clubs IMO.

I don't really expect much of an increase on those figures, I would be of the view that we should be pressing for more ('lobbying' if that's the right word), but even if things stay as they are then I'd be happy enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    My two cents.

Mr.A's idea is one I had thought of myself, but video link ups could be done via skype or something. I've seen RTE news use skype for foreign broadcasts once or twice. Would really benefit the league as a whole, but for that idea, we'd have to move all games to a Sunday afternoon or Saturday afternoon, as prime time Friday night isn't exactly the best spot for it, unless RTE start up their own Sports channel.

Highlights show needs to be on a Sunday night 7pm at very latest. Monday isn't good enough. I'd still keep MNS, but use it solely as a chat show, similar to that of Against the Head right after it. Highlights can be shown for any other game that passed the Sunday evening deadline for the highlights show.

For midweek fixtures, there needs to be another highlights show, possibly on Thursday, cramming them all into an hour with the weekends highlights is awful.

Needs to be much more advertising of the live matches, really drill it into peoples heads that the match is on. I'd even have a go at persuading Bill and the 3 lads to try their luck at League of Ireland analysis.

Really give the LOI the English leagues treatment. It's all glitz and glamour for English football, Irish football seems to be nothing but a burden at times.

And the highlights editing is awful.

And get rid of the music over the highlights.

I'd love to take charge of RTE for a week.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    I think it would be a good idea if they had all the LOI live games on a Thursday night. Other LOI fans (which has to be the target audience) would be able to watch it and clubs/ fans would get used to the regular time. Some people will say its a bad time/ night and would effect the turnout. But RTE pick odd times and days that dont suit clubs as it is.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Not a bad idea re: Thursday live games. In some ways I think you'd get more of a crowd than for a weekend afternoon game because people tend to have plans at the weekend.

Dublin City I recall used to play home games on a Thursday. Obviously didn't do much for them but I don't think Friday would have been any better!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Dundalk and UCD had Thursday nights too. maybe even derry?
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I think Thursday nights would be horrible. Especially for travelling support.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I'd even have a go at persuading Bill and the 3 lads to try their luck at League of Ireland analysis.
    Jesus, what have you got against the league that you'd want to inflict that shower on it? Boring ignorant cliche merchants who should have been put out to grass years ago.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Dundalk and UCD had Thursday nights too. maybe even derry?
    yep I remember us havin to play Derry on thurs nights eleven years ago in 01/02 season..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Personally I'd have all league games on Friday night with a Saturday night "game of the week" with, say, an 8pm kick off. The TV show would startt at 7 and include highlights form the Friday night
    Nice idea - but I can not see LOI ever being able to command a prime time slot, especially not on a Saturday night

I dont see any problem with games spread out over Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday myself.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    I think Thursday nights would be horrible. Especially for travelling support.
    Thursday or Friday night for travelling fans - theres feck all difference.

Im thinking more of the routine and certainty that a fixed night would bring to live games. Live games chop and change to much at the moment. Have TNF, make a big deal about it. People get used to it, look forward to it and see it as part of their LOI routine. Plus you've got every LOI fan and player in the league as potential viewers.
    Last edited by redobit; 20/03/2013 at 9:21 PM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts

I'd agree with that. Never seen the point in having the live game at the same time as all the other kick-offs. Hard to know what other time will suits. Different kick-off times used have been criticised and I can't see Saturday 8pm slot being used by RTE. I'd suggest Saturday at 3pm or Sunday around 5.15pm as happened with Limerick v Cork.
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    I think it would be a good idea if they had all the LOI live games on a Thursday night. Other LOI fans (which has to be the target audience) would be able to watch it and clubs/ fans would get used to the regular time. Some people will say its a bad time/ night and would effect the turnout. But RTE pick odd times and days that dont suit clubs as it is.
    Thursday isn't a bad shout either. There is the clash with European games however and it is a move away from weekend football. I don't think RTE's odd times are all that bad. Anytime they pick other than Friday night people complained. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    Highlights show needs to be on a Sunday night 7pm at very latest. Monday isn't good enough. I'd still keep MNS, but use it solely as a chat show, similar to that of Against the Head right after it. Highlights can be shown for any other game that passed the Sunday evening deadline for the highlights show.

For midweek fixtures, there needs to be another highlights show, possibly on Thursday, cramming them all into an hour with the weekends highlights is awful.

And get rid of the music over the highlights.

I'd love to take charge of RTE for a week.
    I'd like to see the show on a Sunday Night as well. MNS currently clashes with a good number of games that are on Monday.

For Monday and midweek games, a show even late on the Tuesday or Wednesday night would be ok.

Anyways the coverage which has been given in recent years is better that what has gone before.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Games should only be played on the weekend. I'd prefer if no live league games on TV with a very good highlights program (which we don't have now)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Thursday or Friday night for travelling fans - theres feck all difference.

Im thinking more of the routine and certainty that a fixed night would bring to live games. Live games chop and change to much at the moment. Have TNF, make a big deal about it. People get used to it, look forward to it and see it as part of their LOI routine. Plus you've got every LOI fan and player in the league as potential viewers.
    Nah, not Thursday anyway. Too hard for players to try and get off work, and lets face it, at least half of our league at any one stage have had to allow for that as a factor when sorting the logistics of travel over the season. Plus for travelling fans, having work again on Friday is a huge deterrent.

I think the Saturday night option is probably the only really practical option, with all other games played on the Friday night. That way the viewership (is that a word?) would be up and it could possibly give rise to advertising revenue being generated, that is probably the only thing that would curry favour with RTE bosses when being asked what needs to get the axe. And if viewing figures were anyway consistent then they could be used by clubs to generate revenue through sponsorship as well.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast