Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Hoops bite back...

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Hoops bite back...

Article in todays Indo. Some fasinating comments from Jonathan Roche on their ambtions, financial prudence and banning badly behaved fans-

Hoops bite back after O'Neill's stinging criticism

Ruaidhri O'Connor – 14 March 2013

SHAMROCK ROVERS chairman Jonathan Roche has defended the club's board in the wake of stinging criticism from former manager Michael O'Neill.

Earlier this week, the Northern Ireland boss accused the Hoops hierarchy of lacking ambition and not capitalising on their 2011 European success, saying he asked for a 10pc increase in budget to go full-time after their Europa League adventure.

But Roche, who was one of a the group of Rovers fans who rescued the club from financial ruin in the wake of examinership, says that the club's board had learned from their mistakes.

"It is regrettable that people can't move on," he said. "Michael had great success with us. The board went to Scotland and got Michael, we had a very successful three years which ended last year.

"10pc of our budget is €200,000. We've seen how clubs have gone when they went full-time and as a board and as members all we care about is being as successful as possible, but in such a way that I'm not getting phone calls from journalists asking why I haven't paid the wages this month.

"That's the most important thing, to have a sustainable, vibrant football club, which we do have."

Roche counters the argument that Rovers missed an opportunity last year when they followed up their historic season with a trophyless campaign that saw them exit Europe at the first hurdle and fail to qualify for this season, saying that the long-term future was paramount.

"I don't think there was a lost opportunity," he said. "People move on. Maybe they get international jobs, maybe they get jobs in the UK. We're here forever. We need to think about the mid-term and long-term future of the football club.

"We tried our best last year but it wasn't to be, we are trying our best this year and are off to a good start. No, I would disagree with the comments."

Having recorded a turnover of €2.2m last year, down from the previous season when the Europa League prize money significantly boosted the coffers, Roche says that the club have reduced their budget by approximately 2pc this season.

"I think the league and where we are now is in a good place and is financially sustainable," he said.

"We have a budget that we work hard to meet and that is a good place to be. We're not comfortable about our budget, we have to work hard at things like sponsorship and attendances to make it work.

"We had a big budget last year, we don't have the biggest budget this year. We're not league champions and things can change very quickly in football. We need to enjoy success when we have it."

Meanwhile, Roche said that Rovers fans who caused trouble during the Setanta Cup clash against Linfield at Windsor Park on Monday had let the club down and would be banned indefinitely.

"We had 600 fans there. There were 20-30 people who let the club down and embarrassed everybody," he said.

"Gardai from Tallaght were in the Windsor Park control room working with the PSNI. The people are clearly identified, or will be as they are on CCTV, they won't be allowed into our home matches and we will do our best to prevent them going to away matches."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29129467.html

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Good article and I agree 100% with Rovers board, too many clubs have gone for the big spending short-term fix and its been proven it does not work in the country, Re the violence there was always going to be a small group of idiots who would travel to such a fixture with the soul purpose of causing trouble
    Last edited by Neish; 18/03/2013 at 12:49 PM.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Expensive business.

€2m still seems pretty high considering the market atm.
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry crumb View Post
    Expensive business.

€2m still seems pretty high considering the market atm.
    Assuming wages are ~60% of the budget, that's €30,000 a week spent on player and staff wages. That sounds a little high but you have to pay people a living wage too.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Assuming wages are ~60% of the budget, that's €30,000 a week spent on player and staff wages. That sounds a little high but you have to pay people a living wage too.
    According to O'Neill the players wages ranged from €500 to €1,000 pw
    "Look at the Europa League and what you have to compete against. We had players on 42-week contracts with a salary ranging from €500 per week to €1,000 per week. Rubin Kazan are spending more on taxis"
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29126642.html

That would mean that O'Neill, Croly, and the rest of the management team were burning huge holes in the budget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    According to O'Neill the players wages ranged from €500 to €1,000 pw

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29126642.html

That would mean that O'Neill, Croly, and the rest of the management team were burning huge holes in the budget
    I'd be surprised if Rovers are spending 60% of their total budget on Salaries. I know we are nowhere near 60%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    carefull there CD, sounds like a Shams Board statement circa 2003/4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I'd be surprised if Rovers are spending 60% of their total budget on Salaries. I know we are nowhere near 60%.
    I'd be in agreement with this. They were earning massive money. There was no need for them to be anywhere near 60% and still be paying out comfortable wages.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.