Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Schoolboy clubs must change mindset – Brady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Foot.ie! Schoolboy clubs must change mindset – Brady

The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    The Dokter has spoken on the matter .... To be honest i'd say the guy is saying 'what kind of a basket case have to taken on here?' .... all this before you get any replies for the leagues. I suppose it will be easier to pick out the leagues who are in the dark ages and just how dark it is for them.

Attachment 1954
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...vine-1.1547864

Devine, who played for Arsenal, Norwich and Stoke, is now the Coaching Director of South Dublin Football League where a pilot programme, aimed at getting six- to 10-year-olds to play three- or five-a-side without results being recorded or league tables compiled, has proven so popular that the traditional structures will be set aside next season.
    “The seven-a-side game being played at present by seven-, eight- and nine-year-olds on a 70 by 50-metre pitch is totally inappropriate,” said Devine yesterday. “As are tables with promotions and relegation at seven or eight years of age . . . they only encourage the coaches and parents to start shouting and screaming at the kids.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    IMAG1355.jpgIMAG1357.jpg

Taken from Target in Irish Daily Star on Tuesdays, this from Tuesday Oct 29th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    http://www.fai.ie/domestic-a-grassroots/103669-grassroots-stakeholders-attend-positive-partnerships-conference.html

I'd just love to know what the lads in SFAI thought of it all, "from their cold dead hands" or words to that effect no doubt.
    Last edited by A face; 11/11/2013 at 9:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    All gone quite on this ..... not one line for the Irish Press on it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Over a year later an my 9 yr old is playing 11v11 on a full sized pitch. Anything changed yet?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Its up to what ever league your sons team is playing in to change, if hes playing under 10? it should be 9v9, get your sons club to bring it to the leagues attention

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I did, league says 'those are the rules'. How they think the adult version of the game suits 9 yr olds I don't know.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Argyll12 View Post
    I did, league says 'those are the rules'. How they think the adult version of the game suits 9 yr olds I don't know.
    Do you mind me asking what league you are dealing with? Is your son playing under 9 or 10?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's ten in the last week of December. This means he has to play U12's. U12's play full size pitch 11v11.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    He's ten in the last week of December. This means he has to play U12's. U12's play full size pitch 11v11.
    The year of birth determines the age category he plays in. In the Tipperary South Schoolboy League (and I assumed this was the same every where) if he was born in 2004 he should be playing Under 11 this season.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    The year of birth determines the age category he plays in. In the Tipperary South Schoolboy League (and I assumed this was the same every where) if he was born in 2004 he should be playing Under 11 this season.
    Same, our league doesn't have U11 so he's U12.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Same, our league doesn't have U11 so he's U12.
    Out of curiosity what league does your son play in? In fairness to my local league (Tipp South) they are putting a lot of effort into making changes but I'm not sure whether they are doing this off their own accord or working to some 'National Plan'. Currently the structure for the 'development' age group is monthly non-competitive 5 aside blitz for Under 8s and Under 9s. At Under 10 and 11 its fortnightly 7 aside non-competitive games and then it's gets competitive at Under 12 (i.e. scores and league tables are maintained). Previously u12 was 11 aside and full length pitch but they have made a positive change this year i.e. it's 9 aside with a smaller pitch and smaller goals. From my own experience the non-competitive idea from u8 to u11 is good in theory but all participating teams and coaches need to buy into it. I still see a lot of evidence of coaches focussing on results at this age rather than developing players.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm not naming & shaming, sorry. South Tipp have moved a long way in the right direction (James Scott gave great guidance I think, may be wrong). My experience is that the clubs want silverware & wins, regardless of the impact on the kids. Sice we have a bottom up world here, this means they get what they want, resulting in my son having the option of either quitting football or playing 11v11 full size pitch at the age of 9. I'm just after mailing a load of clubs in europe to ask about what their kids do, 6 replies so far and none of them are anywhere near what I have seen here. Worst so far is England who have 9v9 on 70% pitch (10's & 11's).