Thread: RTE Player

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

RTE Player

Hi All,
    I am a LOI supporter living in New Zealand for the last few years and I was looking forward to the start of the league this week. Unfortunately when I went to open RTE Player to watch the Limerick v Cork game it wouldn't open and said that the content was not currently available in my region. This also happened with MNS today. Does anybody know if the terms of the broadcasting contract between the FAI and RTE has been changed as for the last few years I have had no problem viewing past episodes of MNS or games online?
    Alternatively does anybody know if there is another site where I can view LOI games and MNS?
    Thanks
    "It's not the despair; I can handle the despair. It's the hope I can't stand." John Cleese on supporting a LOI club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    From the Dundalk FC fans forum, I'm sure the lads wouldn't mind me re-posting a similar question by a DLK fan living in London, I'm sorry it's not better news, and its a real shame it appears to be cut off outside of Ireland.

xxxx wrote:
    I'm an exile living in London. Last year you could get MNS on the RTE player to see highlights but their not letting it this year? Any suggestions how to get em? Want to get the highlights of the game.

MNS commented on their Facebook Page

Monday Night Soccer On the ROI only, we wiould like to be in a position to make Airtricity League matches available to as wide a range of viewers as possible, but have to restrict games and MNS to the Republic of Ireland only due to broadcast rights agreements with the FAI - the matter is outside of our control unfortunately.

If we were to show the games outside of the Republic of Ireland it would be a serious breach of the broadcast rights agreement between RTÉ, the FAI and other broadcasters.

Try using a proxy site like http://www.unblock-us.com/b?utm_expid=40442353-0
    7 day free trial there

Hope that helps you and other exiles out.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Unblock-us doesn't seem to work (for me anyways) with the RTE player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    MNS commented on their Facebook Page

Monday Night Soccer On the ROI only, we wiould like to be in a position to make Airtricity League matches available to as wide a range of viewers as possible, but have to restrict games and MNS to the Republic of Ireland only due to broadcast rights agreements with the FAI - the matter is outside of our control unfortunately.

If we were to show the games outside of the Republic of Ireland it would be a serious breach of the broadcast rights agreement between RTÉ, the FAI and other broadcasters.
    Did the agreement change just this year then? MNS and games broadcast by RTÉ worked fine outside Ireland last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Maybe the agreement didn't change but the FAI's enforcement of it did. Ludicrous by them with no foreign broadcasts deals (unless its linked to Sky's deal for FAI games)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I have set up overplay on my Apple tv and mac at home so i can watch sites like hulu/netflix (American Based) which are american based, It works by giving you a new DNS number which makes the site think you are logging on in America ( https://www.overplay.net/ )

They will also provide a DNS code to use for ireland if you are logging in from abroad.

Its $5 per month, so approx €3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Maybe Fai deal with sky includes LOI games in it, sky dont have to show games but any other broadcaster would have to get permission from then to show games. Or maybe fai have a deal done with someone else

I remember TG4 wanted to show a live game as there was no Live game on but Rte as the rights holders either wantned too much money to allow the game to be shown or they refused permission for came to be shown.

Anyone from here going to Fans conference in Dublin on the day of Austria game? If so please ask ask about this as it will be intresting to see the FAI say about this

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainee View Post
    I remember TG4 wanted to show a live game as there was no Live game on but Rte as the rights holders either wantned too much money to allow the game to be shown or they refused permission for came to be shown.
    That's not true. RTE and Setanta show live games. Acutlaly now that I think of it, the Setanta games are usually simulcast on premier Sports in the UK. IS that the sticking point?
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    http://www.rte.ie/mns
    https://twitter.com/RTEMNS

mns@rte.ie

I thought Peter Collins was ok to be honest, i didn't think he'd be as good as Con, in fact i think Con is definitely more au fait with the league but still he did a good job of it.

The highlights, i'd agree. I think that it may take someone in the FAI to sit down and see what can be done to improve it. I think there is definitely room for a credible, measured show, on air or online to discuss all things Irish football, to debate actually issues that prevent Irish football from moving forward. Its screaming out for it to be honest.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    The highlights, i'd agree. I think that it may take someone in the FAI to sit down and see what can be done to improve it. I think there is definitely room for a credible, measured show, on air or online to discuss all things Irish football, to debate actually issues that prevent Irish football from moving forward. Its screaming out for it to be honest.
    So you want more highlights, and more discussion? Interesting
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    So you want more highlights, and more discussion? Interesting
    Read that back now and should have said ...

I think there is definitely room for a credible, measured show other than MNS (maybe even on TV3, Thursday night for an hour, half preview half discussion), on air or online to discuss all things Irish football, to debate actually issues that prevent Irish football from moving forward. Its screaming out for it to be honest.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Not just MNS, last night I came home and figured I'd put myself to sleep watching MNS and Republic of Telly, neither are available outside of the ROI. I don't know what is going on with RTE, I can still watch Hubble and Prime Time and that fat bloke from Cork on a Saturday, but not good shows. Pretty cheesed off. I wonder is it down to how they're buying the shows as I don't believe RTE make either.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    They do make MNS
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Perhaps this is an issue to see how effective SLOs are?
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Im curious, I got to see MNS in Asia!! I dont like S Byrne, boring, show was ok though - liked the Limerick stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    You could always trick your DNS settings if you're 'whizz' enough.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Maybe the agreement didn't change but the FAI's enforcement of it did.
    I would imagine that this is the case. If the FAI/RTE broadcast agreement was up for renewal it would have been all over the news. It is probably a case of it not being factored into the original agreement and the FAI are only enforcing it now while RTE are not wanting to pay more money to cover it.
    It's really disappointing as the Friday night game was on at a really good time for me to watch. I can't imagine that international broadcasting of League of Ireland games would be that lucrative for the FAI so hopefully it's sorted out so fans outside the country can keep watching.
    "It's not the despair; I can handle the despair. It's the hope I can't stand." John Cleese on supporting a LOI club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    I have to say as much as the MNS programme has its faults and the live coverage can be a bit sketchy I genuinely feel for anybody who is a football fan working abroad.
    The only way lads (and ladies) had of keeping up with the action is taken away. I would be sick to be honest.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    When I moved to England some 5 years ago I was always so greatful for Friday Night Football on RTE Radio with Adrian Eames, Eoin Hand etc etc and it was a life saving link home to one of the things I miss most about home. I was gutted when they pulled the programme. As I don't watch TV (other than what I stream online from home) MNS and the live games were again my lifeline to the game at home and I'm disappointed again to lose the last remaining link to seeing the game from home. RTE owe me nothing as I don't pay them but so disappointed to lose all coverage of the game from home.
    Find me on Twitter @ImRedLen

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Well at least MNS is available internationally now and I got my first breath of actual League of Ireland action last night as I caught up on the ist Episode of the Season. Still gutted I can't see any of the live games either live or later on Player but I can get by on an hour a week other than when I catch a gameor two when I get home between now and November.
    Find me on Twitter @ImRedLen