Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belfast

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Belfast

Going to belfast for a weekend( halloween), all jokes ( and i'm anticipating a few) aside, is there anywhere ppl think i should a) avoid b) definitely need to see, during my 3 day trip, pubs and landmarks included here.

thanks

tom
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomo
    Going to belfast for a weekend( halloween), all jokes ( and i'm anticipating a few) aside, is there anywhere ppl think i should a) avoid b) definitely need to see, during my 3 day trip, pubs and landmarks included here.

thanks

tom
    Robinsons Bar on Great Victoria St is always my first stop for a bottle of Newcastle though it and the crown next door are slightly older crowd. Depends what you're into/ up for ....Laverys up the road towards queens is younger student crowd and good craic too. The Empire's a nice spot -good for gigs and the like.

Don't think you can go too far wrong in the city center but it's gone as bad as Dublin as far as "trendy" pubs that'll you'll see people dolled up to the nines actually queuing in all weather to get into despite the fact the place is already wedged full and you're gonna have to queue another half an hour for a drink. A bit tragic really that way.
    On the other side of great Victoria st. there's a very nice Mongolian retaurant worth a go and quite cheap.

If it's worried about wondering into the "wrong" pub or area you are -like I say -if you stay city center you're grand. Don't wear anything that could be construed as "colours" though i.e. jerseys, scarves anything of the sort as they're generally frowned upon and you could be turned away ...but sure that happens down here too.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Personally I like the Crown, fairly classy looking spot, (from what I seen city centre prices compare favourably with even normal London prices - apart O' Raffs £1.60 Guinness Sun - Thurs while stocks last, any chance of a free pint PF?.) Went for a pint on the Falls and some places I was looked v. suss after they heard the accent, others were no bother at all - maybe I was just being paranoid. Just to point out around the bottom of the Falls - the Divis flats - seems like it has the highest quota of neds anywhere that I have ever been.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You could try the university area, 15-20 min walk from Robinsons outside bus station. Take a right as you come out of bus station. The Botanic or Eglantine will be pretty busy and good craic. Always show football and stuff too. If you fancy some rock music ( not too heavy ) try Katy Dalys pub in city centre, cant think of street but its around city centre, get a taxi or something, it has nightclub too. If you fancy trip up d falls, get black taxi from Castle Street in City centre for 80p or most of the hackney offices will take you. Plenty of murals and stuff to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    City centre's pretty cool, Kelly's bar near the shopping centre I think it's castle st is worth a look, it's where the united Irishmen had their first meeting, a trip up the Fall's is well worth a look to look at the mural's and even the Shankhill way not,plus the beehive on the fall's is a pub i've had a few jar's in on any visit, as well as the pub near the bottom of the fall's called after a team that play on London road but the ground is 420 mile's north of London. Anyway old Lux Interior the Glen's fan said he'd buy us a pint so i'll let him spend his beer token's on yerself seeing your going there.
    If yer have a look on ourweewebsite, Marty and his fan's have a section about people visting Belfast old mad dog and John B might even show you around.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Going to belfast for a weekend( halloween)
    Belfast for halloween?? Ah mucker, Derry's the place to be for halloween. Massive fireworks display, everyone goes up the town and dresses up, free bands playing about the place, bring your own beer. The place is mad.
    Got requests from the one's in our university (in Belfast) looking to stay the night up here already.
    Should definitely come up for the night, it will be well worth it.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvo
    Kelly's bar near the shopping centre I think it's castle st is worth a look, it's where the united Irishmen had their first meeting
    Aye, Kelly's Cellars always did a good plate of stew with your pint. It's on Saxe-Coburg-Gotha-Battenburg Avenue, just round the corner from Castle Street.

I was in it on the day of this rather more recent political gathering, though luckily not at the same time

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3693557.stm
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gardner
    Aye, Kelly's Cellars always did a good plate of stew with your pint. It's on Saxe-Coburg-Gotha-Battenburg Avenue, just round the corner from Castle Street.

I was in it on the day of this rather more recent political gathering, though luckily not at the same time

Nice pub all right, and good city centre, i'll have to get back up there soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gardner

I remember at the time of that happening and when the Kelly's was mentioned, I thought there was none of that craic when I was in there.
    Thankfully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks

tom
    Stay away from Laverys (Used to be a good mixed bar)...Its location next to the Sandy Row has had a major influence recently. Got chased from it the time we were up playing Donegal Celtic in a friendly a few years ago. (I wasnt wearing a Derr Jersey either)
    Go lí cúnna ifrinn do thóin bheagmhaitheasach

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvo
    If yer have a look on ourweewebsite, Marty and his fan's have a section about people visting Belfast old mad dog and John B might even show you around.
    I certainly would Sylvo, but I don't live in NI at the moment, so it could be a bit tricky.

I'd concur with most of what's been said, certainly you should visit the Crown Bar: it has real charm. If you're after a perv, I'd recommend the Parlour (opp. QUB SU) or, of course, the Botanic Inn, which is also near Queens. Ryan's on the Lisburn Road (just around the corner from Queens) has an older crowd and a great atmosphere-plenty of attractive women in there too. If you're around the university area, I wouldn't bother too much about your safety, you'll be as safe as you would be in any city. Basically, all the pubs in the area are bouncing and full of students from all over Ireland and beyond. You'll not sound out of place.

If you're up for a later drink, you could go to the Fly. Personally, I hate the place (full of label slaves) but plenty of women and free in. Get there early mind because there can be long queues. 'Shine' in Queens SU goes on to 2 or 3 in the morning (bring your own drugs).

My mate has just moved to Belfast and recommends the bus tour of Belfast, which you can catch at the City Hall. It does the full range of both ****-holes and more salubrius places. The Shankill is definitely worth a look. It's a bit like some sort of Medieval freak show, lots of very strange looking people.

For something different and cheap, the Ulster museum is free and very good. There is also a tropical palm house in the Botanic gardens (beside the museum/QUB), which I think is free and worth a look. If you fancy a walk, you could go to the Cave Hill country park, on top of which, I believe, the United Irishmen made some sort of declaration. It's about a forty minute walk from the car park to the top from which you can see most of Belfast and the Mourne mts. Belfast Castle sits on the hill and has a visitors centre, restaurant, bar and antique shop.

Oh, I'd keep your eyes peeled if you go to Kelly's Cellars, it's a good bar but you sometimes get thieving drunks calling in from Castle Street. My girlfriend had her camera nicked there a few years ago.

Whatever you do, have a good time and stay away from the Belfast millies.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB

My mate has just moved to Belfast and recommends the bus tour of Belfast, which you can catch at the City Hall.
    Anybody read that book 'London Irish' and remember the really un-pc joke about belfast busses?
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dortie
    Stay away from Laverys (Used to be a good mixed bar)...Its location next to the Sandy Row has had a major influence recently. Got chased from it the time we were up playing Donegal Celtic in a friendly a few years ago. (I wasnt wearing a Derr Jersey either)
    Wow -suprised and disappointed to hear that. I used go in there virtually any time i was in Belfast. I used play in band and we'd stay in the International Hostel 'round the corner and a lot of the guests there used call over to Laverys for scoops. It was quite a young -as in College -crowd in there too.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    the crown is a good pub. i heard laverys is really dodgy. Benedicts across the road from laverys??? is good. Sandy Row .its an experience to go down that road.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    Wow -suprised and disappointed to hear that. I used go in there virtually any time i was in Belfast. I used play in band and we'd stay in the International Hostel 'round the corner and a lot of the guests there used call over to Laverys for scoops. It was quite a young -as in College -crowd in there too.

Shaftesbury Square is a magnet for drunken ********s, particularly after 12 at night. Lavery's suffers a bit from that and, obviously it's close proximity to Sandy Row (where the fenians never go ). Having said that, the last time I was in there I was with people of various persuasions and there was no bother at all. The aforementioned Benedicts is a cattle market and good if you don't mind shouting at the top of your voice when having a conversation.

Actually Thomo, a top tip if you'll be needing a taxi late at night. Book one early (they may want payment up front). There aren't nearly enough taxis in Belfast to cope with the demand and, you get a fair few drunken ******* around taxi depots.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Few questions from a naive lad who's never been 'Up Naff' ;

1. Can ya just walk over the border or do you need passport checks etc.?
    2. Still British troops around?
    3. Since the troubles ended are there still places you wouldn't ever go in an Ireland/Celtic jersey or an ingurland/Nord Iron/rangers jersey?
    4. Still ever any petrol bombs/peace gates etc. ?

Cheers folk
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    cheers everyone, all suggestions have been taken into account, and its alot more helpful now, especially knowing where to avoid. thanks again everyone. tis muchos appreciated.
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liam88
    Few questions from a naive lad who's never been 'Up Naff' ;

1. Can ya just walk over the border or do you need passport checks etc.?
    2. Still British troops around?
    3. Since the troubles ended are there still places you wouldn't ever go in an Ireland/Celtic jersey or an ingurland/Nord Iron/rangers jersey?
    4. Still ever any petrol bombs/peace gates etc. ?

Cheers folk

1.You never needed a passport to cross the border. You will find 99% of catholics hold Irish passports anyway.

2.Still British Fortifications/Helicopters/ Mobile patrols - Not many foot patrols though

3.Troubles havent ended, mainstream organisations are on ceasefire. And yes sectarianism is still as strife and common as it was 10 years ago.

4. Petrol bombs all the time all over the 6 counties...

Not painting a bright picture but its the truth.
    Go lí cúnna ifrinn do thóin bheagmhaitheasach

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Cheers Dortie-just educating maself some more
    Cheers for the slagg Dav enjoy Paris though I'll probably speak before then.
    Hoepfully gonna make it up to Derry one day-want to see the murals
    (and the Free Derry sign).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB
    Shaftesbury Square is a magnet for drunken ********s, particularly after 12 at night. Lavery's suffers a bit from that and, obviously it's close proximity to Sandy Row (where the fenians never go ). Having said that, the last time I was in there I was with people of various persuasions and there was no bother at all. The aforementioned Benedicts is a cattle market and good if you don't mind shouting at the top of your voice when having a conversation.
    I think i remeber the place -it was jammed full of children in make up ...and I mean children ...underage doesn't describe it. The misfortunes ...while all the girlies had sauntered in (as they always do) many of their fellahs were stuck outside trying to look hard yet passive before attempting to walk past the bouncers without drawing too much attention to the fact that they were about 12 or 13. oh them were days...

How's it goin' JohnB btw. This is the artist hitherto known as Wee Mex over on my norn cousins site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast