Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear FAI, your league has started...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    If it's that much of a stretch, buy a dictionary...
    Anyone send you a card recently?

The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    If it's that much of a stretch, buy a dictionary...
    As I thought...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    The point is that most people who're likely to go to LOI games are already aware of the clubs, the venues, the KO times.
    This bit made me laugh the most....

Are any of us ever really sure of these things?!
    Last edited by SkStu; 12/03/2013 at 2:24 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Surely everyone's who's interested in the LoI already knows about it!

That said, after the national side, the main domestic league should be their primary concern.

Apply the same logic to the national team.

Your opinion might differ then.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Sorry, what does the last post mean? In the context of FAI/LOI?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    FAI don't run any of them. They run 1 league, the League of Ireland.

Now, getting back to their excellent use of social media and how you think that's a bad thing...
    The FAI run the whole lot directly or indirectly.

Regarding social media, a lot of crap that's posted on the twit machine is wrong, and when it's wrong, it's embarrassing for all concerned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Dundalk FC are. During the EA cup game against Shels last night, I was in a taxi in Paris.

I had two running updates on Twitter, an official one and a fan one. In addition, the match was broadcast live on Dundalk FM.

No lack of local promotion in Dundalk.

We are well within our rights to comment on national promotion by the FAI.
    Didn't say ye were not. If I'm looking for details on a game I look to the club, team in question. Rugby updates from Munster, not the IRFU. Soccer updates, from Tralee Dynamos or Limerick FC, not the FAI.
    Surely everyone's who's interested in the LoI already knows about it!

That said, after the national side, the main domestic league should be their primary concern.
    They do and as the lads say regards coke in shops, more promotion is needed. Personally I think clubs are a better source for that. I see the FAI as an administrative body.

Their primary concern should be promotion of the game in this country. Opens the door here for a comment on certains things I'll leave lie for now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    So that's it then. No more new fans. Grand so
    He made a fair point. Easy to take it out of context if you want to. For more new fans, I wouldn't look to the FAI.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    You sound like a Salthill Devon club official, i.e. they don't advertise.
    lol
    So all these 'new' fans will suddenly materialise, just because the ever-efficient FAI promote it??
    Yeah, right.

There's saturation of coverage on TV/online, so unsure what the FAI can do to counter that. Even if they wanted to.
    As it's outside their jurisdiction.
    I wouldn't say there's saturation of coverage, just will people listen to the FAI. As I say, I think clubs are best placed themselves to promotes their games within their area and in the local press. Limerick got a good reaction on Sunday to the press they've received.
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    That's simply not true, and the evidence backs that up.

Every time LOI clubs have made a sustained effort to promote themselves, attendances have risen. Why do you think people do it if it doesn't work?!
    Do clubs have any lobbying power? If they've a problem, could they not group together as a body and lobby the FAI for what they seek?
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gormacha View Post
    I find is astonishing - and depressing - that some people on this thread are defending the FAI about the running of the LOI, and even worse, arguing that nothing more could be done to promote the LOI.

Most of it is amateurish, at best. There is enormous scope for improvement. And if the CEO got nearer what would be a more reasonable salary, there'd be loads left over for campaigns and dedicated marketing and promotion staff.
    I don't think anyone is defending the FAI. Different views are being expressed on what more can be done to promote the league. On the point of promoting the league, just making the point clubs can do a lot of work in this area as they are. I don't think the FAI will make much difference. If I'm near Waterford and consider to take in a game, it's the Waterford Utd website not the FAI I'd look to.

I think looking to the FAI for everything is amateurish. A Championship clubs got nothing because they sought nothing. If they had any great intention/ambition to progress, they could've formed an A Championship board and made representations to the FAI regards what they might have sought. Some LoI clubs aren't much better. Do clubs need the FAI to hold their hands or what?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    I think looking to the FAI for everything is amateurish. A Championship clubs got nothing because they sought nothing. If they had any great intention/ambition to progress, they could've formed an A Championship board and made representations to the FAI regards what they might have sought. Some LoI clubs aren't much better. Do clubs need the FAI to hold their hands or what?
    I don't think anybody would disagree with that, but nobody asking the FAI to do everything either. They're being asked to do the minimum reasonable amount of due diligence to the league they're supposed to run and which produces a large (and increasing) proportion of their precious national team. There are absolutely amateur structures in place at some clubs but the FAI is supposed to be a professional organisation and should start acting like one. As it stands, they're the sole organising body for football in this country yet they piggy back on the work done by neighbouring organisations and clubs while acting as if they're utterly oblivious to the league they actually do administer and have some stake in.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I wouldn't say there's saturation of coverage, just will people listen to the FAI. As I say, I think clubs are best placed themselves to promotes their games within their area and in the local press. Limerick got a good reaction on Sunday to the press they've received.
    Sorry, Legendz. Meant saturation of coverage of soccer generally, as in people rightly or wrongly have their heads turned by games on Tv or online, never mind a team which may or may not be convenient to go and watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Sorry, Legendz. Meant saturation of coverage of soccer generally, as in people rightly or wrongly have their heads turned by games on Tv or online, never mind a team which may or may not be convenient to go and watch.
    Still digging?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    What are you on about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    MNS is no longer available on The RTé player outside of ROI.Another great move by the FAI.

To people asking about this issue of where MNS and matches are available, we would like to be in a position to make Airtricity League matches available to as wide a range of viewers as possible, but have to restrict games and MNS to the Republic of Ireland only due to broadcast rights agreements with the FAI.

It is outside of our control unfortunately.

If we were to show the games outside of the Republic of Ireland it would be a serious breach of the broadcast rights agreement between RTÉ, the FAI and other broadcasters.
    https://www.facebook.com/mondaynightsoccer

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I assume it's because RTE sells its feed to Setanta's stations in the UK and Australia, etc. Geo-limiting the signal is an expensive process so I can see why they'd take this action rather than risk action from other broadcasters. Still, it's the consumer who loses. Hopefully RTE will take a relaxed approach towards Youtube uploaders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    It's a bad decision imo considering that one of the participating teams in the LOI reside outside of the ROI and are in the LOI and a lot of people(me included,Dundalk,Harps,Derry fans) live just outside of ROI with UK ip connections.I use proxy sites to overcome this but not everyone is so internet savvy.
    They should at least put an "Island of Ireland" limit on the block.Also if anyone has a Youtube upload for Mondays programme can you's put a link for it here please? Cheers.
    Last edited by bullit; 13/03/2013 at 1:35 AM. Reason: Missed a few words *hic*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It is a ****-up, I'll give you that. The unfortunate situation is that the LOI's appeal outside of Ireland is exclusively from satellite channels and they're going to protect their investment by ensuring RTE's web streams are limited to Ireland. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the FAI are just being way too cautious and limiting streams that don't need to be streamed though. Like you said, it sucks for non-web-savvy people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Well done FAI. Lads forced to emigrate and then deny them access to five minutes of coverage of their club per week.

Then there are the LOI fans from NI supporting LOI clubs. Derry is the big one, but Dundalk have fans in south Armagh too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    He made a fair point. Easy to take it out of context if you want to. For more new fans, I wouldn't look to the FAI.
    Why not? Why not look to every available resource? If the FAI aren't bothered, then what impression does that give others? Do you think Airtricity or other potential sponsors would appreciate the extra exposure? Can you possible tell me one downside of the FAI tweeting LOI info?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I assume it's because RTE sells its feed to Setanta's stations in the UK and Australia, etc. Geo-limiting the signal is an expensive process so I can see why they'd take this action rather than risk action from other broadcasters. Still, it's the consumer who loses. Hopefully RTE will take a relaxed approach towards Youtube uploaders.
    Charlie,

At least you raise some logic to the decision, but I think it is a topic that needs raised, and discussed further.

Are Setanta purchasing/showing MNS in other territories. Given that we have never heard anyone talking about it, then I would highly doubt it.

If MNS/Live games are not being shown outside the island of Ireland and there are no foreign TV rights deals being impinged upon, then where are the issues with the broadcast of these games?

I can understand if international rights are being shown via MNS and therefore this in direct competition with other broadcasters but the simple answer would be to remove all elements of this from the broadcast and therefore it could surely be broadcast.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast