Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland V Sweden(A) 22 March & Austria(H) - 26 March 2013 - World Cup 2014 Qualifiers

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I still think an off form Doyle is better than Sammon having the game of his life though. He barely touched the ball against Poland. It's a clear message to Doyle. Trap was even quoted in the Examiner - he needs to change clubs.

I've seen so many strange results in all sports lately (and over the years) that I always think the underdog has a chance in two-horse race. Around this time I'd be normally dusting off my usual pre-away match quote "we'll get some chances, we'll need to take them". I just don't really feel that way now though. Despite the team being likely to contain Wilson & Coleman, McCarthy in CM and Long and Keane upfront and maybe even both of Brady & McClean, I just don't feel Trap will be approaching this game with anything other than his usual approach of handing all the initiative to the opposition right from the start.

I just hope that we'll attack any vulnerability Sweden have (lack of pace in CB, poor at defending set-pices maybe) and try and play the game behind them, rather than letting them face us for the whole game. A defeat ain't a catastrophe. A win at home against Sweden would negate that and we'll only be a point behind them in the "like for like" stakes with 6 games to go.

Whelan went off early in the WBA game. Anyone know why?

Anyway, my XI would probably be:

--------Forde-------
    Coleman-O'Shea-SSL-Wilson
    -----McCarthy-Whelan-----
    --Long----Hoolahan---McClean
    -----------Keane------

I thought SSL looked a bit iffy against Derby but he reminds me of Kenny Cunnigham in his comfort at international level. Choosing between Clark & him is a close call.

I know there's a point of view that Keane doesn't lead the line / can't play as a lone forward but he has usually been isolated in that role. The key for me is to make sure that the 5 men behind him use the ball well and take up good positions, Keane & Long interchanging and taking turns to be furthest forward. Walters will be a useful sub.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 18/03/2013 at 10:21 AM.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Based on the Poland friendly, McCarthy's game was affected adversely by having Whelan around him. I think he's better served by having someone more mobile and alive.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Agreed. The role Trap asks Whelan to play is a bit what you'd ask a Paul McGrath type character with iffy knees and a lot of miles behind him. "Just hang in front of the defence and give the ball to the guy nearest you, or hoof it. Don't worry about getting forward". It leaves a lot for McCarthy to do, just as it asked a lot of Andrews who was game enough to deliver from time to time. This game is crying out for an extra man or a "hybrid" and this is where I am very frustrated with Trap's "we can't change the seestem. It'll show weakness to Sweden". Rubbish.

Anyway, a pal of mine in Sweden says that Sweden's back 4 has big question marks over them (inexperience) as well as doubts over fitness of both full backs who are both just back from injury.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 18/03/2013 at 2:22 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Lustig @RB is back from injury and played on Saturday, he is fit for duty.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Man for man, there is not a huge amount between the two teams. If we can go back to the solid defensive unit we were in the 2010 campaign and in the middle of the last campaign, then we have a good chance. Sweden score plenty of goals, but they also concede alot. My faith in Trap has been on the wane since last summer - I really hope he can get a result here to kickstart the campaign. I think playing Hoolahan from the start would be a very positive move but very unlikely at the same time. We need to show the possession performance we had in the second half against Poland and not the first. We all know by now, the hoof the ball long tactic is a disaster waiting to happen.

I presume the CB pairing will be Clark and JOSH - neither who I will feel overly confident against Zlatan.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I still think an off form Doyle is better than Sammon having the game of his life Anyway, my XI would probably be:

--------Forde-------
    Coleman-O'Shea-SSL-Wilson
    -----McCarthy-Whelan-----
    --Long----Hoolahan---McClean
    -----------Keane------
    I think the same about Doyle. He's having a bad season at a bad club but this could have been a breakout game for him (after all he has proved himself at international level and Sammon has not).

As far as the team:

My feelings on O'Shea and Whelan are I would rather play with nine players than have them in the team. I saw O'Shea at the weekend and he is worse now than he ever was, which is saying something. He is the consummate hoof ball merchant who has absolutely no composure when pressured. Whelan will run all day at the same pace and down blind alleys. He is one of the least impressive midfielders ever to pull on a green shirt. I like Hoolahan, Long and McLean but would have Hendrick in for Whelan and Clark in for O'Shea. I believe Robbie Brady has a part to play also, at some stage of the game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Anyone know where to watch the game online?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    My feelings on O'Shea and Whelan are I would rather play with nine players than have them in the team. I saw O'Shea at the weekend and he is worse now than he ever was, which is saying something. He is the consummate hoof ball merchant who has absolutely no composure when pressured. Whelan will run all day at the same pace and down blind alleys. He is one of the least impressive midfielders ever to pull on a green shirt. I like Hoolahan, Long and McLean but would have Hendrick in for Whelan and Clark in for O'Shea. I believe Robbie Brady has a part to play also, at some stage of the game.
    You seem to implying here that O'Shea has been a terrible player at some point. You have made an error of judgement. He had a poor game at the weekend alright but historically he's good a very good record.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    So is the general consensus that Forde will start then? He is starting regularly for Milwall I suppose which is more than Westwood can say, I know he made a couple of decent saves against Poland but some of his kick outs were terrible and one almost led to a goal IIRC.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I presume the CB pairing will be Clark and JOSH - neither who I will feel overly confident against Zlatan.
    Looks like that will be the starting CBs as Traps reluctant to play SSL due to lack of games.

Lets get behind the team whoever plays.
    As always I'm 100% backing Ireland come what may.

COYBIG we can do this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Anyone know where to watch the game online?
    It'll be broadcast live on the RTÉ Player, although that's Ireland-only. Otherwise, I'm sure plenty of streams will appear here on the day close to kick-off: http://www.lshunter.net/ or http://www.footballstreaming.info/st...nks/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    was listening to 2FM's Game On driving to Dublin last night (Off The Ball was doing their usual bank holiday "Best Of" show so I gave it a miss)
    Dunphy was on talking about the squad selection, mainly the omission of Kevin Doyle, but also about Robbie Keane probably starting. According to Dunphy, he hasn't played in a couple of months, and shouldn't be starting as he won't be match fit. To be fair to the presenter, he did point out the MLS had started, but he didn't have Robbie's appearance stats to hand. Trapattoni had pointed out in an interview broadcast just before Dunphy came on that Keane had scored earlier in the week, and played the day before for LA Galaxy!

You can listen to the interview on their podcast here: http://podcast.rasset.ie/podcasts/au...72737_232_.mp3
    Dunphy comes on at the 4 minute mark, the debate about Keane is at 7 minutes
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    its all out attack on friday so...

http://balls.ie/football/glenn-hysen...ive-frailties/
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    It'll be broadcast live on the RTÉ Player, although that's Ireland-only. Otherwise, I'm sure plenty of streams will appear here on the day close to kick-off: http://www.lshunter.net/ or http://www.footballstreaming.info/st...nks/index.html

Danny try the below - have found it to be the best streaming site

www.wiziwig.tv
    My Country is My Club.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    So is this game not on Sky then for those outside ROI? Want to record it if possible.

I know we dont have much choice with CB's but I really fear Zlatan will make mince meat of JOSH and Clark (i'd prefer SSL over Clark for this one - despite him not being in the best of form and playing at FB for Leicester recently)- They are just not strong enough to hold their own against him. Thats no disgrace, he's a master at using his frame to retain possession and creating space (and putting the chances away!) but I really fear this could look like man against boys out there.

Hopefully we can muster up something up front with the relatively 'hungry' lads such as Long, Brady, McClean etc....

I hope and pray for something but I fear it will be comfratable for Sweden.

Its gonna be baltic as well, temperatures of -5 to -10 degrees.....
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I hear Trapattoni wants the stadium roof open to counter the atmosphere, but I dread to think what kind of game we'd be subjected to if it drops to the expected temperature.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, remember dissing Zlatan before. I was wrong. He can destroy us on his own.

It's less about the personnel, though we are largely mediocre, more about our tactics. Even if Glenn Hysen's right, Trap would probably still just play one up front at home to Bhutan FFS.

It's make or break these two games, 3 points in one game is a minimum, but suspect it may not happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    So is this game not on Sky then for those outside ROI? Want to record it if possible.

I know we dont have much choice with CB's but I really fear Zlatan will make mince meat of JOSH and Clark (i'd prefer SSL over Clark for this one - despite him not being in the best of form and playing at FB for Leicester recently)- They are just not strong enough to hold their own against him. Thats no disgrace, he's a master at using his frame to retain possession and creating space (and putting the chances away!) but I really fear this could look like man against boys out there.

Hopefully we can muster up something up front with the relatively 'hungry' lads such as Long, Brady, McClean etc....

I hope and pray for something but I fear it will be comfratable for Sweden.

Its gonna be baltic as well, temperatures of -5 to -10 degrees.....

didnt think SKY were showing it live at all AFAIK
    My Country is My Club.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Aye, remember dissing Zlatan before. I was wrong. He can destroy us on his own.

It's less about the personnel, though we are largely mediocre, more about our tactics. Even if Glenn Hysen's right, Trap would probably still just play one up front at home to Bhutan FFS.

It's make or break these two games, 3 points in one game is a minimum, but suspect it may not happen.
    But Trap plays two up front in every game.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I was being facetious. The point is one of them normally plays so deep they might as well be in midfield and is appropriate for some opposition, but not all!

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast