Thread: Ken Bigley

Dublin or lost in a backwater called England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    RIP

thoughts with his family
    'It's not because I'm uncouth, it's because I'm Irish. The English language is a wall between you and me and f**k is my chisel.' - Tommy Tiernan

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liam88
    They've done Muslim in the UK no favours-just more BNP/C18/NF properganda material.
    Good point. Living in the UK also, there is so much 'anti-muslim, etc' feeling around at the moment, it is only a matter of time before something major hapens, IMO.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Muslims In England

Fair Comment. Here in the North not only Muslims but every racial minority are being put down, Just like when Paddy went to England in the 1950's. Do they not realise that this is how it all starts. Thoughts and prayers with Ken Bigleys Family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

The Americans will sort it all out anyway !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just For The Record

Ken Bigley was not an Irishman he was a Scouser from Liverpool

He lived 10 minutes from me....

May Ken Bigley Rest in peace, only he knows the anguish/fear he went through, a waste of a classic Kind hearted scouser/father/son!

Like they say "what goes around, comes around", their time will come, and in my opinion the sooner the better..............

REST IN PEACE KEN BIGLEY, YOUR IN ALL US SCOUSERS HEARTS M8!

Last edited by Noodles; 09/10/2004 at 3:41 AM.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Only Thing The Americans Can Sort Out Is.....

A fookin blue on blue attack, and a good Hamburger!
    Last edited by Noodles; 09/10/2004 at 3:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    There's talks that he escaped first for half an hour with the help of one of the kidnappers.That's why they killed him.

thecorner
    British hostage Ken Bigley escaped for half an hour before he was beheaded, it has been reported.

His captors said the 62-year-old was helped by one of the hostage-takers.

The Foreign Office refused to confirm or comment on the claims.

Insurgent sources told the Reuters news agency that the engineer fled onto farmland in Latifiya but was caught.

"He never made it to the main street," the source said.

The fate of his accomplice is not known.

A Western security source is reported to have said Mr Bigley was killed because he had tried to escape.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles
    Ken Bigley was not an Irishman he was a Scouser from Liverpool

He lived 10 minutes from me....

May Ken Bigley Rest in peace, only he knows the anguish/fear he went through, a waste of a classic Kind hearted scouser/father/son!

Like they say "what goes around, comes around", their time will come, and in my opinion the sooner the better..............

REST IN PEACE KEN BIGLEY, YOUR IN ALL US SCOUSERS HEARTS M8!

Good man mate
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Angry Exactly!

He's not an Irishman,he's English.R.I.P. Ken,but I did'nt like the way his brother wanted the Irish government to help tough, because the Blair and co. would'nt.He wanted to be Irish when it suit.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's not an Irishman,he's English.R.I.P. Ken,but I did'nt like the way his brother wanted the Irish government to help tough, because the Blair and co. would'nt.He wanted to be Irish when it suit.
    At the end of the day m8, it was hs brother, none of us really know what those poor people where going through, how can you unless your in that situation yourself for real? But at the end of the day i know for sure if it was my brother in that situation i wud do my upmost possible to get him home and away from such evil....

Ken Bigley was a everyday man just like you n me, he didnt deserve to be there, nobody deservers to be in that situation....

So at the end of the day wud you do anythin for your brother?

Just my thoughts............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Post Fair enough!

Yeah I would do anything for my brother but, he is'nt Irish and you can't just claim your Irishness when it suits you. I bet he never classed himself as Irish.There just my toughts.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Sory to hear ofanyone getting killed, particularly in such a gruesome and barbaric fashion but, this thread raises 3 issues:
    1. Why is there a thread about this and not about all the innocent Iraqis, Palestinians, Chechens etc being killed on a daily basis? Is Bigleys life worth more because he's a westerner?
    2. Regardless of what a nice guy he was etc., he went there to make money out of the war and as such was exploiting the US-led invasion. So he was certainly NOT an innocent civilian, he was out to profit from the suffering and misery of the Iraqi people and he knew what the risks were.
    3. Why should Muslims in Britain (or anywhere else) be forced to condemn these things when they have FÚck all to do with it? Did every Catholic in the world have to condemn it very time the IRA did something?

This is all about the double standards being employed by western europe and the US- its no wonder al qaeda have so much support, the way muslims are treated in this part of the world

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    So if an Irish person gets an eye gouged out, say, in Limerick, because they went there as part of the civil service reformation, or for education purposes, we should say 'it's a pity, but he DID go to Limerick to further his career/education and should just take the rough with the smooth'?
    That sort of thing doesn't happen in Limerick......

Good post though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I can't believe some of what I'm reading here, and it's all I can do to restrain myself to criticising the posts rather than the posters. Bigley was nothing but an ordinary man trying to earn a decent wage wherever he could, not some mercenary freeloader or oppressor of the people. Some of you want to think really hard about what putting food on the table can entail. You'll do what it takes if you have to, believe me. That and being in the wrong place at the wrong time were Bigley's only crimes.

In addition, it matters not a tinker's curse where he was from (English, Irish, Scouse; whatever) nor, in the end, that he was awarded Irish citizenship in absentia. Debating his origins in the context of his demise is sickly ironic. His family did anything they thought would help Ken. That's all. Sometimes life and humanity are worth more than petty nationalism. Just think about it.

God rest Ken, my thoughts and prayers go for you and with your family at this wretched time.

PP
    Last edited by Plastic Paddy; 11/10/2004 at 8:12 PM.
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    I can't believe some of what I'm reading here, and it's all I can do to restrain myself to criticising the posts rather than the posters. Bigley was nothing but an ordinary man trying to earn a decent wage wherever he could, not some mercenary freeloader or oppressor of the people. Some of you want to think really hard about what putting food on the table can entail. You'll do what it takes if you have to, believe me. That and being in the wrong place at the wrong time were Bigley's only crimes.

In addition, it matters not a tinker's curse where he was from (English, Irish, Scouse; whatever) nor, in the end, that he was awarded Irish citizenship in absentia. Debating his origins in the context of his demise is sickly ironic. His family did anything they thought would help Ken. That's all. Sometimes life and humanity are worth more than petty nationalism. Just think about it.

God rest Ken, my thoughts and prayers go for you and with your family at this wretched time.

PP
    Agree with every word mate-just sorry I coudln't/was to afraid of criticism to put it so well myself
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    1. Why is there a thread about this and not about all the innocent Iraqis, Palestinians, Chechens etc being killed on a daily basis? Is Bigleys life worth more because he's a westerner?
    Palestinians and Chechens are sperate issues, arent they ? All deaths are tragic, but the murder of someone who's Irish (or at the very least who's parent(s) are Irish) is naturally going to be discussed on an Irish forum. Its like the person next door. When we, or certainly when I, hear about this happening to an Everton fan with an 86 year old mother from Dublin, who had to work overseas to buy a house, it could be a description about my uncle, my dad or me in 40 years (tho I dont support Everton but that is by the by). People are always going to take more notice of something they feel more affinity towards, it might not be the "right" thing but this is just the way news/people is/are.

Also he was executed in a particularly nasty manner. His killers had the total intention of murdering him in this sick sadistic way, to most civilised people such a deliberate execution/mutilation is disgusting, the people who carried it out, theyre worse than animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    2. Regardless of what a nice guy he was etc., he went there to make money out of the war and as such was exploiting the US-led invasion. So he was certainly NOT an innocent civilian, he was out to profit from the suffering and misery of the Iraqi people and he knew what the risks were.
    Do you realise by saying he's not a civilian your in effect saying hes a legitimate target? I think going by most conventions an unarmed 60-something year old engineer, not attached to an army, is defined as a civilian. Journalists working in Iraq are there to make money, are they exploiting the invasion ? according to your logic do they too not "profit from the suffering and misery of the Iraqi people" and im sure theyre aware of the risks, if so are they legitimate targets?

Also from what I read he was just trying to get money together to build a house to retire to and support his wife and kids as a 60 year old in an industry that tends to employ the young his options for employment were probably very limited, he may well have been forced by his finances to work out there. He'd set up businesses and made a good job of running a supermarket on the Wirral, but had to sell it up after his first wife was attacked during a robbery. To make him out as some sort of roaming bandit preying on suffering is frankly vile. He was a poor old man trying to make ends meet, executed by a bunch of cowards, he and familiy didnt deserve this at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Hear Hear!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    There will be a condolensce book oppened in Áras na Mac Léinn tomorrow for UCC students and staff.
    j'accuse!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Possibly because they live in a democracy (something that would, of course, be denied in a world where the people who executed Mr. Bigley ruled) and are entitled to speak out about a war that, to some extent, is based or fuelled by religious fanatacism, whether by the Christian Americans or Islamic Arabs, they have a desire to do so. Should Muslims not speak out? Should they be gagged or censored?
    Thats not my point. My point is they are in a position where they have to be seen to be defending Islam, as if all Muslims are implicated. And thats because of the prejudice that exists in the western world.

As for Bigley being an innocent civilian- he went to Iraq to make money out of a war that has caused death and suffering for the Iraqi people and he knew the place was dangerous. At least he had a choice. What about all those Iraqi's or Palestinians or Chechens going about their business in their own towns or villages who have been killed by supposed democratic countries. What choice did they have? This is all because western society values some lives more than others

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast