Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chelsea Chelsea..............Irish support

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chelsea Chelsea..............Irish support

Looks like someone doesn't like us..............................

"How anyone, especially an Irish person, can like or support such a horrible club is beyond me. Ken Bates used to really get up my nose, but boy have they found some real gems to replace him in Kenyon, Abramovich and Mourinho. " (quote from "4ofthefloor)

Chelsea have always had a large Irish support, some people tend to latch on to the Rangers link, most English clubs even Liverpool !!! have links with the Huns and the loyal North'n Iron folk,.................... the red hand in the middle of the kop behind the goal whenever the cameras are down that end gets held up.........

We all support Ireland whatever our club links suppose us 2nd/ 3rd /4th etc generation are all plastics anyways..............in the eyes of some Ireland fans.......
    CAPTAIN MORGANS GREENFORD Welcomes all Irish Football fans, live music every weekend

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    chelsea have always had a rep for having a particularly nasty hooligan side (headhunters and all that) and this whole buying success thing is fairly distasteful IMO but I don't see a need to dislike them any more than other english clubs.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Duffer should get out of that club before they play that muppit Cole instead of him again,fcukin disgracful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bring Back Mick

"How anyone, especially an Irish person, can like or support such a horrible club is beyond me. Ken Bates used to really get up my nose, but boy have they found some real gems to replace him in Kenyon, Abramovich and Mourinho. " (quote from "4ofthefloor)

Chelsea have always had a large Irish support, some people tend to latch on to the Rangers link, most English clubs even Liverpool !!! have links with the Huns and the loyal North'n Iron folk,.................... the red hand in the middle of the kop behind the goal whenever the cameras are down that end gets held up.........

We all support Ireland whatever our club links suppose us 2nd/ 3rd /4th etc generation are all plastics anyways..............in the eyes of some Ireland fans.......

You should sit a certain Jeramiah from Kilburn in front of a computer for this one, I could see it making interesting reading if he got involved.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvo
    You should sit a certain Jeramiah from Kilburn in front of a computer for this one, I could see it making interesting reading if he got involved.
    I've just returned from a preview screening of the gangster movie "Layer Cake". In it, there's a character (albeit a small role) called Jerry Kilburn. Don't know if it is based on our esteemed colleague, but the movie is based on a book written by a JJ Connolly - I wonder if he ever met him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poorly McGrorry
    I've just returned from a preview screening of the gangster movie "Layer Cake". In it, there's a character (albeit a small role) called Jerry Kilburn. Don't know if it is based on our esteemed colleague, but the movie is based on a book written by a JJ Connolly - I wonder if he ever met him?
    The movie is'nt set in the small bar in McGovern's in Kilburn by any chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bring Back Mick

Seeing that this was a private conversation\PM between myself and you, that lasted no more than 2 paragraphs, I don't understand why you have to start a thread about it? Are you trying to stir ****? Funnily enough, you are the one who has brought up the "hun" and "Rangers" subject. At no point in my PM reply to you did I say that I hated Chelsea for these reasons. Incase you are a bit slow, here's what I replied to you with:

"Regards Chelsea, I say a prayer every night thanking god that Liverpool got Benitez rather than Mourinho. What a class A ****** Jose is turning out to be! By this time next year, everyone will hate Chelsea, even more so than Man U. But as I said, he suits the club perfectly cos if you ask me, "the tw*ats" should be Chelsea's nickname. How anyone, especially an Irish person, can like or support such a horrible club is beyond me. Ken Bates used to really get up my nose, but boy have they found some real gems to replace him in Kenyon, Abramovich and Mourinho.

My uncle is a season ticket holder at the Arsenal, while two of my cousins have season tickets at Spurs. Even they hate Chelsea fans more than each other!"

I'm not seeing what you're seeing there mate. Maybe you are conscious of the fact that those aspects of Chelsea which you mentioned exist. My uncle in London has seen Damian Duff being abused by Chelsea supporters at Stamford Bridge, for being Irish, and I've read reports about it as well. That is why I don't understand Irish people supporting Chelsea. In addition to actually meeting real Chelsea supporters, who I found pig ignorant and cocky. I have exactly the same reasons for disliking Chelsea as Eanna, football reasons. The people who run the club also turn my stomach. Sorry if i've pi$$ed on your bonfire there, but you can't make me like Chelsea.....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor

My uncle in London has seen Damian Duff being abused by Chelsea supporters at Stamford Bridge, for being Irish, and I've read reports about it as well. That is why I don't understand Irish people supporting Chelsea.
    I recall Andy Townsend getting death threats in the mail when he decided to play for us. I dont understand it either but each to his own i guess. I also have mates who are staunch Ireland fans having travelled to many away games who also support rangers .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I know one Irish fan who attends almost all our home games and many away games who is a Rangers fan (don't know how often he goes to Rangers games).

I know one Irish fan who attends most home games and has travelled away (not very often afaik) who regularly attends Rangers games as in a few a season.

I also know a few Rangers fans in the Republic who also support Ireland although mainly from sofas and barstools in both cases. Note these would be people who would say Rangers are their favourite British side or Scottish side along with a Liverpool or Manyoo or whoever.

There was also a very prominet Linfiedl/Rangers fan who was also a keen LoI and Irish fan in the 80's/early 90's whom I haven't seen for a few years now.

Brian Kerr and Alan Maybury both support Rangers as indeed does another occasional squad member with caps who certainly grew up as a Rangers fan in the Republic although he has never said this on the record afaik.

Note we obviously have numerous southern protestants who do not support Rangers but who also support our national team some of whom also attend games and travel away.

In a previous company I had a Catholic colleague in our Scottish office who was a Rangers season ticket holder (pre and post Mo Jo) because he considered himself British and they best represented that identity. I imagine that has changed. Celtic have always had a minority protestant support.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Incase you are a bit slow

Dont worry he is. And if he doesnt agree with you you're an idiot.

My uncle in London has seen Damian Duff being abused by Chelsea supporters at Stamford Bridge, for being Irish, and I've read reports about it as well. That is why I don't understand Irish people supporting Chelsea.

Spot on. How can anybody put chelsea on a tricolour and then get annoyed when it causes offense? Also John Coady moved to Chelsea from Rovers in 1986 and got abused for being Irish even tough he scored on his debut!

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop
    Incase you are a bit slow

Dont worry he is. And if he doesnt agree with you you're an idiot.

Spot on. How can anybody put chelsea on a tricolour and then get annoyed when it causes offense? Also John Coady moved to Chelsea from Rovers in 1986 and got abused for being Irish even tough he scored on his debut!

KOH
    Would these be the same Chelsea supporters that voted Duffer their best signing last season by a country mile?

John Dempsey and Paddy Mulligan were also much loved. Never heard of Coady having any issues.

Andy Townsend is hated by Chelsea fans after leaving nad making disparaging remarks re wanting to win things when he left for Villa (was it? not sure)

There is a small Loyalist Chelsea/Rangers/Linfield element but very much a minority. I was at Chelsea v Charlton in February and there were a couple of tricolours, plenty of Irish accents in evidence.

However I do agree re not understanding any Irish person supporting Chelsea as they should be supporting Shamrock rovers or Limerick or Shelbourne and not any of those British teams like Chelsea, Man Utd or Celtic.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    However I do agree re not understanding any Irish person supporting Chelsea as they should be supporting Shamrock rovers or Limerick or Shelbourne and not any of those British teams like Chelsea, Man Utd or Celtic
    Here,here gspain,well said.I cannot comprehend any Irish person supporting an English or Scottish club,why don't these so called 'football fans' go and see Irish soccor in their own backyard's.The expense of traveling to England or Scotland is madness,paying 300 to 400 euro for a weekend away.Why wouldn't these people travel to the Flansiro(where dreams come true)and enjoy an entertaining game of football with a vibrant atmosphere.After all,they'd get the chance to watch Dessie Baker do his magic.

I've seen these threads before but no one has ever come up with a good,decant,valid explanation.If the crowds increase the stanard will keep improving........

The people that really frustrate me,are the people that say that the Eircom League is sh!t,and theyv'e never been at a game.
    Why dont more people give it a chance?
    The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why wouldn't these people travel to the Flansiro(where dreams come true)and enjoy an entertaining game of football with a vibrant atmosphere.

At least you have a sense of humour terry......

Totally agree with gspain. If you're Irish you support Irish clubs. We are the only country in europe that looks to another country's teams to adore! Only in Ireland unfortunately........

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I do however think there is great hope - Shels getting 24,000 into Lansdowne Road was a huge boost not to mind the TV viewing figures.

Look at the Munster and Leinster rugby teams who would have been lucky to draw 500 people 5 years ago. If we had a football team playing in the champions league or even competing in Europe there is huge potential support and while I can understand at one level why JP McManus and Dermot Desmond invest in Man Utd and celtic what really annoys me is investment in Carlisle and bloody Doncaster

There is huge potential here in Dublin for a team to really take off with the right investment and more to follow not to mind the possibilities in Cork, Limerick, Longford et al.

It is down to investment and down to budgets. Does it make financial sense? Probably not but nobody ever made money out of football -(well apart from one cowboy whom I wouldn't dare mention in the presence of a Rovers fan).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    We aren't the only country that looks to England to support teams. All the Scandanavian countries are mad into English football, more than their own. Have you not noticed the dodgy Norweigan channels showing wall to wall premiership football in pubs across the country? In fact, the premiership is shown live in every country in Europe, and is extremely popular. Irish fans are entitled to look to England\Scotland to support clubs for two reasons.

1. All of our national players and heros play there, and as a result alot of the bigger clubs have a rich Irish history\connection. I started supporting Liverpool when I was younger because of Ronnie Whelan, Aldridge, Houghton etc, cos at the same time I was going to Ireland games

2. The standard of grounds in the Eircom league is a farce. Gone is the day when top class sport is played in front of a shed - in Limerick we don't even have a shed, just a crap junior standard pitch. How do you expect people to be attracted to the game with this in mind? I don't see the GAA having any problems attracting fans. Why? Because they have decent stadia, and this contributes to the spectacle that is sport.

Speaking from my own point of view, I've supported Limerick for as long as I have been supporting both Ireland and Liverpool, as my dad is football mad and took me to all the games. The fact that I support Liverpool doesn't affect my support for the EL or Limerick, cos the two are on two different planets as far as i'm concerned. Liverpool = top class, elite football, Limerick = Eircom League Div 1, will we even exist next season? I see nothing wrong with going over to Anfield once in a while. As I said, its football on a different planet. When you've supported a team since you were 6 yrs old, its hard not to be passionate about them, whether its Liverpool or Limerick. Of course I would love to see Limerick become professional and play in a top class league, with good stadia, and maybe even Europe. Unfortunately, this will not happen in my lifetime, so Limerick AND Liverpool it will continue to be for me.

As for Chelsea, I wish constapation on Mourinho and I hope the Russians go after Abramovich.

Sheridan
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor
    We aren't the only country that looks to England to support teams. All the Scandanavian countries are mad into English football, more than their own. Have you not noticed the dodgy Norweigan channels showing wall to wall premiership football in pubs across the country? In fact, the premiership is shown live in every country in Europe, and is extremely popular. Irish fans are entitled to look to England\Scotland to support clubs for two reasons.
    http://www.footballeconomy.com/stats/stats_att_11.htm

Check the attendance stats there to see why this point is invalid. And the other two just are.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan
    [url]

Check the attendance stats there to see why this point is invalid. And the other two just are.
    I think the key to this is that Scandinavian teams retain much of their young stars into their early twenties before heading to a higher standard if capable of doing so.
    The FAI/LoI clubs should attempt to slow the stream of 15 and 16 year olds being signed by British teams(many which are unsuccessful and do not return to football after being released)and keep the talent until suitably poised to leave or remain,thereby gaining an overall increase in the standard of the league.For example the influence of players like (open to correction here) Wes Hoolahan,Eamonn Zayed[did not leave until 20],Glen Fitzpatrick[could have gone abroad but signed by UCD] etc.
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A lot of Irish Chelsea fan's would have started following Chelsea in the 70's in the Osgood day's a long time before all the connection's with other stuff came to the surface in the 80's, I happen to know a lot of London Irish Chelsea fan's were not one bit put off with all that Loyal s***e and stood up to anyone who gave off all that racist s***e, for that I say fair play to them.
    Not aware of any bad feeling to Duffer, any Chelsea fan I know love's the lad. Also West London just like North London is the heart land's of the Irish community here in London so Chelsea would be the local team to a lot of Irish kid's growing up here.
    All English club's are going to have a few w***er's who are going to have anti Irish feeling's I'm even met people like that who follow Man united and Liverpool (and for ahhh kid Macy's referance I ain't calling yer PLC a racist club, all right ahh kid ) yet people in Ireland and the media are obsessed with them.
    Also while people are saying about treatment Duffer might be getting from a small section of his own fan's one thing that has to be stamped out which i've been told about by three different people who heard comment's at the Cyprus game and that's about comment's about Clinton Morrision's skin colour.
    We should get our own house in order if that's the case, before we go giving out about other's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I don't think supporting Irish football has to be exclusive. I like watching premiership football and La Liga. I support other teams however if they were playing Limerick then no contest or if they were playing Waterford or Bohs then still no contest.

Sure the attractions are obvious facilities wise but if we don't also support our own teams we'll never have a team there

Now go back to Shels friendlies v Man Utd, Liverpool et al and Irish people in replica shirts booing Shels players - back to the barstools - I saw Shels once and they were rubbish.......

Re Scandanavi, yes they do support go and watching premiership games however their own teams are still at a level above our league with investment etc and that from being a level below - Bohs were beating Esbjerg H & A, Athlone beating Valerenga less than 30 years ago. The locals will be supporting rosenborg not Arsenal tomorrow night for example.

BTW in Switzerland also there is huge interest in German and Italian football - far more German shirts than Swiss shirts at our U21 game in Berne - Borussia dortmind and VfB Stuttgart very obvious and I saw one Young Boys shirt.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    4tothefloor talks a lot of sh!t,have you been in Flancare Park lately?is a beauty of a stadium,and is miles better than Pearse Park.Most GAA grounds across the country are falling apart(except from croker).....
    i agree that irish fans can support scottish/english football if they want.But why cant they support the irish league as well.
    The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast