Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why all support english clubs??

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why all support english clubs??

For years and years irish have fighted everything about being english or british, so why when it comes to club football, english clubs are the main focus of support.

I understand that most of your national players play there,

But what i dont get alot of people will pay £40/£50 to wear a man u, liverpool or chelsea top but wouldnt even think of paying £5/£10 to watch their local team!

Why?

thecorner
    i support cork city

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

.................................................. .....

Quote Originally Posted by norn_iron_healy
    wouldnt even think of paying £5/£10 to watch their local team!

Because the British football is rammed down our throats at every available opportunity, our National League suffers because British football is imposed upon us, punters are not given a choice and many dont know any better.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=A face]Because the British football is rammed down our throats at every available opportunity

Whos fault is that?

How come when roi are playing everyone finds it in themselves to support a team closer to home?

Sheridan
    Whos fault is that?

How come when roi are playing everyone finds it in themselves to support a team closer to home?
    It's only marginally closer to home. All the players are British-based, and the Best Fans In The World wouldn't have it any other way!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have already said that I understand that all your players play in england, but that is no reason to ignore your own nations teams if it wasnt for these teams you would have nobody. Im just saying that local teams are crying out for money and most people would rather give it to some shareholder or russian oil baron!!

And after the wales match think we stole best fans in the world!!
    Last edited by norn_iron_healy; 21/09/2004 at 12:55 PM.
    WER NOT BRAZIL WER NORN IRON

Sheridan
    I have already said that I understand that all your players play in england, but that is no reason to ignore your own nations teams if it wasnt for these teams you would have nobody. Im just saying that local teams are crying out for money and most people would rather give it to some shareholder or russian oil baron!!
    Obviously, the subtle traces of irony in my post were a bit too subtle, even with the exclamation mark.

Just to clarify: I agree with you.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And after the wales match think we stole best fans in the world!!

Don't think ye could claim that one. Forcing your international captain into retirement is nothing to be proud of.

As for Irish people supporting English teams, I maintain that it is the newest form of colonialism. You would surely understand that. I was in a pub last night and I witnessed several people with ManUre and scouser jersies on them. Funny thing is neither set of supporters know fcuk all about Manchester or Liverpool. It made me sick to see gobsh!tes chanting the name "Rio, Rio" in the pub. Imagine singing about a junkie from the slums of London. The same idiots abuse the lad when he plays with England. One would have to question the mentality of such people. Thankfully, that is an accusation that I could throw at very few members on this website. Genuine Irish and LOI supporters.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    1. Wasnt the real fans who forced him into retirement, not like the 5000 fans who went to cardiff who out sung 60000 welsh for 90mins.

2. He wasnt are captain.

I think you are the only person that understands what im saying, im sorry if its not relavent to anyone hear, but most people are like that

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    1. Wasnt the real fans who forced him into retirement, not like the 5000 fans who went to cardiff who out sung 60000 welsh for 90mins.

2. He wasnt are captain.

I think you are the only person that understands what im saying, im sorry if its not relavent to anyone hear, but most people are like that
    I may be wrong but from what I understand, he was booed by large sections of the Windsor Park crowd.

As for so-called Irish people supporting English teams, it's a complete joke. Even our Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern goes to Manchester, licks Alex Ferguson's ass and raves about United. He refers to them as "we" and "us".The same man considers himself a republican! What type of example do you think that sets for the rest of the population. Those idiots who travel in their thousands to England every weekend should be ashamed of themselves. I believe most members of this forum would agree with me on this one. I mean, how can anyone pledge their allegiances to a commercial industry in the heart of Greater Manchester.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Im just saying that local teams are crying out for money and most people would rather give it to some shareholder or russian oil baron!!
    You're preaching to the converted

To be honest, I try not to go too hard on people who support Foreign teams. I support Man Utd myself, when I was a kid there was no alternative other than Football on the telly and my local club (which we had to run ourselves). With five LOI clubs in Dublin City alone, it's pretty obvious that there are large tracts of land around the country where there the only live football is the local pub team.

For a large percentage of the population, BBC, ITV and Sky are the only places people can watch football of a decent standard.

I only get angry when people knock the domestic league without ever giving it a chance.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A: I like to watch football, good quality football, the english premiership has plenty of it, spanish and italian too, League of Ireland does not have the same quality. I'm one of the thousands who goes cross channel to follow the games. Because I'm from Ireland and prefer to watch top quality football, the closest and easiest to access is cross channel, mean i should be ashamed of myself??

B: If you were a footballer and had the choice to play with Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Shamrock rovers, Who would you go for?

C: All the top teams in England, hmmm let me see, Manchester United for example, Based in England, first team: Managed by a scot, goal kept by either a northern irish man or an american, defense an argentinian and an irish man and a frenchman, midfield dominated by an irishman, a portugese man, a welshman an up and coming scot. front line kept by a dutchman and another french man, england have some first team players like scholes, smith now rio but the first team is dominated by non english
    Arsenal, again english based but managed by a frenchman and the team is also dominated by frenchmen, a spaniard and a dutch master.
    Chelsea, how many english lads have they got - terry, bridge.... i'm out

They maybe english based but the teams that make them up are sadly not.

I'm also off to Paris in three weeks for the game, I was at the cyprus game too and all the friendlies before that.

Because I prefer to watch the english premiership over the LOI, should I be ashamed of myself to follow my national team??

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colm55
    A: I like to watch football, good quality football, the english premiership has plenty of it, spanish and italian too, League of Ireland does not have the same quality. I'm one of the thousands who goes cross channel to follow the games. Because I'm from Ireland and prefer to watch top quality football, the closest and easiest to access is cross channel, mean i should be ashamed of myself??

B: If you were a footballer and had the choice to play with Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Shamrock rovers, Who would you go for?

C: All the top teams in England, hmmm let me see, Manchester United for example, Based in England, first team: Managed by a scot, goal kept by either a northern irish man or an american, defense an argentinian and an irish man and a frenchman, midfield dominated by an irishman, a portugese man, a welshman an up and coming scot. front line kept by a dutchman and another french man, england have some first team players like scholes, smith now rio but the first team is dominated by non english
    Arsenal, again english based but managed by a frenchman and the team is also dominated by frenchmen, a spaniard and a dutch master.
    Chelsea, how many english lads have they got - terry, bridge.... i'm out

They maybe english based but the teams that make them up are sadly not.

I'm also off to Paris in three weeks for the game, I was at the cyprus game too and all the friendlies before that.

Because I prefer to watch the english premiership over the LOI, should I be ashamed of myself to follow my national team??

Yes you should. Your allegiance is non-existent. I think you'll find that Union Jack flags are everywhere to be seen when ENGLISH teams play in Europe. The fact that we have to export our players to England is nothing to be proud of. It doesn't mean we have to export our fans also. It's the likes of you who supports Scholes on a Saturday when he plays with ManUre and shouts abuse on a Wednesday when he used to play with England. Stop trying to vindicate your stupidity. I sense that like most Irish supporters you know nothing about Manchester.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Damn right I know f-all about manchester, Oasis are from there and I think coronation street is based there, but what I do know is that Manchester united play good quality football. Arsenal too.

Are you shooting me down, calling me stupid because I follow football?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colm55
    Damn right I know f-all about manchester, Oasis are from there and I think coronation street is based there, but what I do know is that Manchester united play good quality football. Arsenal too.

Are you shooting me down, calling me stupid because I follow football?
    A little simlistic Colm. No point trying to talk sense into you and the other Premiership followers. If you are such a "football fan" why not support an Irish team. It would be a lot easier than travelling to England. The LOI may not be as good as the Premiership but it's ours. Your team belongs to the Scandanavians, the Asians and every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For once I agree with the man.

Its stupid supporting Man U just because a few of nations players play there and they are a better team.

Wer did ur nations players come from local irish teams who are need of money

If they dont get the money ther may be alot of good players slip through football because they never get spotted by local teams because they have know money to pay a scout

see what i mean

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    look, I'm not neglecting the LOI, your right, it may not be the greatest in the world, like you also said, its ours. I may not go to tolka park or dalymount weekly, but I do take an interest, a fair weather supporter one could say. I don't follow a specific team but i would watch Trevor Welsh on eircom weekly to stay in touch with whats going on. i was also proud of Shelbournes progression in europe, your so quick to go critising, i was trying to make sense of the original point made to see why Irish fans will go to Britain to follow football. I never said the league of ireland was ****e and i would never knock a team plying their trade there. We all know the LOI is there, we're all well aware of it but I'm not ashamed to say I follow the premiership over LOI.

You also mentioned that the team i support belongs to the scandinavians, asians and every tom, dick and harry, I ask you this - Why not the Irish too??

If I said I followed a team from Japan, would you level the same abuse?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I support liverpool ever since I started school and thats because all the young lads would say who do ya support Man U or liverpool(thank christ I picked l'pool).As a 6 or 7 year old who knows fcuk all about anything especially soocer you just go along with the crowd.In the yard playing ball it was always I want to be Barnes,Rush,Whelan etc.. Not one of the boys asked me do you support Cork city or who's your favourite City player.So I started following Liverpool and it was easy because they're on the tele every second week.

It wasn't until I week to secondary school and some of the lads were on about how they go to City games that I started going to these games and I was hooked.

I don't think there's anything wrong with supporting an English team as well as your local EL team and the Irish team.The standard of football in England is much better(althoug last night it was sh!te) but you can't beat a live game,it's all football at the end of the day and I love it all.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fair play to ya Mr. Waistcoat totally agree!
    With regards to football I support;
    1. Republic of Ireland
    2. Cobh Ramblers
    3. Celtic

IN THAT ORDER!

Not big fan of Ingurlish club shirts round Erien but it's up to the people..........

Going for a bit of a low blow here-wern't all the INGURLAND shirts sold out on the skankhill? dannae answer that
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DolansWaistcoat
    but you can't beat a live game,it's all football at the end of the day and I love it all.
    Kind of agree, but i don't think i'd be arsed going to another country to see a team with which i have no real affinity play.

As someone already mentioned, if your trying to wind us up, this is a site for fans of REAL IRISH FOOTBALL, not the Premier****.

As for the guy who travels over to the UK-are ya fúcking mad?
    Would you be well?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast