9. Bohemians
    10. Limerick
    11. UCD
    12. Bray

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    It's fun to take a shot at the final table, but we won't really know who's up to what until a solid month into the season IMO. I'm not even sure how we'll fare, naturally hopeful as every fan, but I certainly haven't the foggiest idea about how most other clubs will do.

A wild prediction though - Rovers won't win the league as widely anticipated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    It's fun to take a shot at the final table, but we won't really know who's up to what until a solid month into the season.
    I think this is a very good point Adam. The first month is a very good guide to see the strenghts and weaknesses of most clubs, and league positions generally tend to take a shape that is not too far away from the finish line. Last season after only 2 games, I knew we were way way out of our dept with the awful quality of players and manager we had. We were beaten 2-0 at home to St Pats, and it was like men against boys.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I think this is a very good point Adam. The first month is a very good guide to see the strenghts and weaknesses of most clubs, and league positions generally tend to take a shape that is not too far away from the finish line. Last season after only 2 games, I knew we were way way out of our dept with the awful quality of players and manager we had. We were beaten 2-0 at home to St Pats, and it was like men against boys.
    As a general rule, I agree. However, its not always accurate. Waterford were a mile off the pace a month into last season, and then went on a 16 game unbeaten run.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Sligo and Shamrock Rovers to battle for the title. Sligo are marginally weaker than last season but Shams have the strongest panel of players. Croly's inexperience and some of the big heads in that dressing room wouldn't leave me convinced they'll win it.

Pats third again this season, overall their squad looks about the same in strength as last season.

Derry, Cork and Drogheda to battle for 4th to 6th. Cork look the most improved of the 3 so may be the best bet for 4th, Drogheda wildly overachieved last season and I can't see Cooke pulling it off again and Derry look weaker in the attacking end of the pitch this season.

Dundalk, Bohs, Limerick and UCD battling for 7th to 10th. Limerick to start the season poor before mid-season reinforcements take them to safety. Dundalk will be improve, stronger midfield and forward line but defensively still look weak and will continue to concede goals. Bohs and UCD will like season try to play the ball the right way but will be erratic in terms of performances & results, enough flair & creativity to take both to safety.

Bray and Shels to battle for the drop. One league win in the 2nd half of 2012 and failing to strengthen will see Bray stuck down there. At Shels I expect Mathews will be the first manager to get the bullet following on from a underwhelming 2012 season and botched off-season that see's just 5 players retained and weaker replacements drafted into a thin sqaud.

I'll go with Waterford to walk the First Division with the play-off spots wide open between Harps, Longford, Athlone and maybe even Mervue or Wexford on the tails in the mix.
    Last edited by total hoofball; 16/02/2013 at 12:20 PM.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post
    If Derry fans are pinning their hopes on Griff scoring goals for them then good luck to them.I would be sceptical tbh and i think that the high pressure on him from Derry board/fans will lead to him scoring FA .He wont score goals..(Rafter will score about 5 more than him but thats it)
    Wish the lad all the best all the same,he is from Dundalk.
    There wont be major pressure on Griffin, he will be given a chance as are all new signings. Add in griffin will have better service with us than what he in a poor Dundalk side last season. Rory Patterson will be our main striker, Griffin and Rafter will be back-up. Griffin was used on the wing in our first friendly so that could be a sign of things to come

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Pats on paper we have have a much better squad than last season but we don't know how those new signings will work out. Will Mcfaul be a suitable replacement for Chambers? If not we could struggle in midfield and find it hard to take control of games in midfield and it looks like we will have Brendan Clarke in goal
    I'd rather have McFaul than Chambers. Chambers doesn't have McFaul's composure and he doesn't really have a decent left foot.

Have to worry about the presence of Brennan in the dressing room, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Sligo have a question mark for me in the middle of the park - N'do can't be relied on but I suppose bringing McMillan in will free up Ventre to play midfield and they have Lee Lynch there as well. North is crucial - if he's fit and scoring Sligo will win the league. 1st.

Shamrock Rovers should win the league - but since a lot depends on how effective Quigley is I wouldn't be that confident. 2nd

Pat's look pretty good - but when half your matches are tippy-tappy score draws someone else is always going to finish higher. 3rd

Cork - Daryl Kavanagh could do some serious damage. As could Danny Furlong. Denis Behan might get all nostalgic and start knocking a few in too... 4th

Limerick have a pretty decent chance: They have real quality in the likes of Purcell and Rory Gaffney but some of the others - Gamble, Bradley - have great futures behind them so; 5th

I'd love to see Drogheda do well. I reckon Fabio has had his indian summer so it'll be down to the Brennans, Casso and Gary O'Neill (I reckon with more game time he'll have one last good season – not basing this on anything other than the fact that he was Sporting Fingal’s best player in the first half of their last season) 6th.

I’m putting Derry, Bohs and Dundalk at 7th, 8th and 9th respectively because I can’t be bothered thinking very much about them right now and also because even at that amoebic level of analysis I know they’re probably better than Shels.

10th Shels – you’re going to need titanium shinpads in Tolka this year with Pat Flynn, Glenn Cronin and Graham Gartland in the team. Can’t see how it all gels, though – the best players in the squad are gone elsewhere and Philly Hughes isn’t getting any ….younger…the biggest problem is the manager’s lack of tactical nous. Still and all, now that he’s got rid of Paddy Kavanagh, Kevin Dawson, Conan Byrne and David Cassidy (i.e. lads who can actually play, as opposed to hoof and hack) Mathews’ neanderthal hoofball might turn out to be the ‘best’ approach.

11th Bray

12th UCD – bottom only because Bray have Gollum Marty Walters.

First Div – don’t know – a throw up between Waterford/Athlone/Longford?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Brennan got MOTM the other day btw
    in what was to-all-intents-and-purpopses a pre seaon game.

just you wait until the seaosn really starts.

and cuyoga- that wasnt a missprint. i think cork will be very strong challengers this year.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Alot of guessing here and maybe some teams may make some more important signings. But I think the league is stronger this year. Sligo, Shamrock Rovers and St Pats should be the main challengers for the league. All teams final position will be influenced by keeping key players fit, especially teams like ourselves in Dundalk who have smaller squads.

1. Shamrock Rovers - losing Twigg is a loss but new signings like Quigley, Sheppard and McGuinness will improve the team.
    2. St Pats - I think Buckley has put together a good squad.
    3. Sligo - McGuinness & Quigley going to rivals is a major blow. I think Sligo look light upfront. When is North back?
    4. Drogheda - Could surprise us again. I actually think they have a better team this year & a team that is settled.
    5. Cork - Will be looking to push for a European place.
    6. Dundalk - Probably being optimistic. We have a small squad so keeping key players fit is key, especially defenders as we don't have many.
    7. Derry - Could be wrong on this one & could finish higher, but surprised they went for 2 strikers who came from a team that came bottom last season.
    8. Limerick - Don't know much about Limerick TBH. They have been slow in the transfer market.
    9. Shels - Don't think Shels are as bad as some are making out.
    10. Bohs - Weaker than last year with Feely, McMillan & Ward gone.
    11. Bray - They have about 4 good players - Byrne, O'Connor, Dempsey & Waters, after that they look weak.
    12. UCD - Will continue to produce decent players and play decent football but they will be near the bottom

First division -

1. Finn Harps - they impressed me in a friendly in Oriel last week. Looked like a well drilled side.
    2. Athlone - The Roddy effect.
    3. Waterford
    4. Longford
    5. Cobh
    6. Wexford
    7. Mervue
    8. Satlhill

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm surprised people are pitching Dundalk so low, actually. Size might be a bit small but looks better than last year, and they have a good manager (when he's not in Tallaght).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    1. The Blues2. Longford Town3. Finn Harps4. Wexford Youths5. Athlone Town6. Cobh Ramblers7. Mervue United8. Salthill Devon

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iorfa2MaccaJim View Post
    1. The Blues2. Longford Town3. Finn Harps4. Wexford Youths5. Athlone Town6. Cobh Ramblers7. Mervue United8. Salthill Devon
    Limerick already won the first division last year.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'm surprised people are pitching Dundalk so low, actually. Size might be a bit small but looks better than last year, and they have a good manager (when he's not in Tallaght).
    Potentially we have the best manager since the 90's, but a lot of Dundalk fans are just being realistic. We came 11th last year and we were damn lucky to stay up really, considering how awful the side was for most of the year. Also there have been many false dawns, espcially under Foster who assembled possibly the best quality in 15 years in 2011 and still came 7th.

Consolidation in mid table, a good enough home record and getting respect back as a solid PD side would do for most DLK fans for 2013.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Potentially we have the best manager since the 90's, but a lot of Dundalk fans are just being realistic. We came 11th last year and we were damn lucky to stay up really, considering how awful the side was for most of the year. Also there have been many false dawns, espcially under Foster who assembled possibly the best quality in 15 years in 2011 and still came 7th.

Consolidation in mid table, a good enough home record and getting respect back as a solid PD side would do for most DLK fans for 2013.
    Yeah, I think 6-8 is a reasonable expectation, but there is the possibility of something higher, like Drogheda did. Like I said, good squad, good manager, but probably a little shallow to really challenge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Premier Division

1. Shams
    2. Sligo
    3. Derry
    4. Pats
    5. Cork
    6. Drogheda
    7. Limerick
    8. Shels
    9. Bohs
    10. UCD
    11. Dundalk
    12. Bray (But still not relegated)

First Division:

If not covering them is good enough for RTÉ, it's good enough for me!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    just did a 10 quid each way double on Finn Harps 9/2 n Sligo 13/8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    1. Pigs
    2. Pats
    3. Sligo
    4. Drogs
    5. Dundalk
    6. Cork
    7. Derry
    8. Limerick
    9. Bohs
    10. UCD
    11. Shels
    12. Bray

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danthesaint View Post
    4. Drogs
    5. Dundalk
    Can't see the two of them finishing so highly and especially so as it rarely happens when both are in the same division, then again stranger things........

Besides I don't think we will finish anywhere higher than 6th. That would be a brilliant turnaround really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Stab in the dark at this stage:

1. Shamrock Rovers
    2. Sligo Rovers
    3. Cork City
    4. St Patricks Ath
    5. Limerick
    6. Derry City
    7. Shelbourne