Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Respect for Mr Trapattoni please

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Respect with reasoned, impersonal criticism - yes.
    Blind servility - no.

For me, Trap's Irish history is just that. It's where he's bringing us that's more important.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Which doesn't seem anywhere very promising...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Which doesn't seem anywhere very promising...
    Same could have been said after the Russia game at the start of the last campaign. Of course, some would say that he still didn't bring us anywhere promising as we had a poor tournament. Being realistic though, with our current squad, tournament qualification is a fantastic result. I'm sure Roy Keane would have steam coming out of his ears at the notion but unfortunately we don't have any Roy Keane's anymore. I pretty much agree with POS too, let the next two games (possibly one game) decide his future. Even if we lose them both I'll look back at his time in charge with positivity.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 15/02/2013 at 9:33 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    He was very good between 2008 and 2010. Resurrected the Ireland team out of the ashes of the Staunton mess, brought in some new players, got everyone playing in a system. Got draws against Italy and was robbed by France in the playoffs. Very well done.

His system was cruelly exposed by Russia in Dublin though, in October 2010. And since then everything has been fairly rubbish. All the opposition managers have sussed us out now, and yet we do nothing to change. Sure, we qualified for Euro 2012 thanks to large slices of luck against Armenia and through playing a very poor Estonia side that self-destructed. But I actually thought we were much better in the WC2010 campaign. That side deserved to qualify much more than the Euro2012 side did.

I don't know what happened post-2010. He's not the same manager we hired in 2008.

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    he is 4 years older - I'm not being smart there. But there is probably a change in attitude.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    He was very good between 2008 and 2010. Resurrected the Ireland team out of the ashes of the Staunton mess, brought in some new players, got everyone playing in a system. Got draws against Italy and was robbed by France in the playoffs. Very well done.

His system was cruelly exposed by Russia in Dublin though, in October 2010. And since then everything has been fairly rubbish. All the opposition managers have sussed us out now, and yet we do nothing to change. Sure, we qualified for Euro 2012 thanks to large slices of luck against Armenia and through playing a very poor Estonia side that self-destructed. But I actually thought we were much better in the WC2010 campaign. That side deserved to qualify much more than the Euro2012 side did.

I don't know what happened post-2010. He's not the same manager we hired in 2008.
    I don't go with this luck thing.
    Trap's tactics had crumbled to varying degrees in almost every home game in his first 2 campaigns, but away performances made up the difference. We qualified because we were easily the best second team in the Group. We had much more experience than Armenia and Estonia when it came to those pressure games.
    Those teams can play a bit, but playing when there's something serious at stake is another matter, players make mistakes they wouldn't normally make.
    We were seeded in the play off because of our results over a 4 year period. It was a hard earned qualification in an average group. There's no luck involved with that.
    Far better teams than what we have now, would not have beaten Macedonia so handy on their own turf, and if Macedonia didn't miss a last minute penalty against Russia, we could have finished level with Russia.
    What happened after we qualified is another story and now in the 3rd campaign it will take nothing short of a miracle by Trap with his tactics, to finish second.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    His system was cruelly exposed by Russia in Dublin though, in October 2010. And since then everything has been fairly rubbish.
    Yeah, fairly rubbish going unbeaten for the rest of the campaign and qualifying. We also had an eight game run without conceding a goal during that period.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Any time we play a team that can string two passes together we get torn open. It's plain to see for everyone. If we measure success by keeping clean sheets against Estonia and Armenia then we have reached a new low. We've never put up with losing 6-1 at home.

Those teams can play a bit, but playing when there's something serious at stake is another matter, players make mistakes they wouldn't normally make.
    Estonia can play a bit? They've never qualified for anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    you get lucky (good or bad) in individual incidents, player misses an open goal, fluffs a penalty, scores an OG, keeper drops a ball on your strikers boot, etc
    over a qualifying campaign, or campaigns, these things become less and less relevant, and it's the plans/tactics/strategies that you have for these campaigns that make the difference
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    We were seeded in the play off because of our results over a 4 year period. It was a hard earned qualification in an average group. There's no luck involved with that.
    As Seneca once said, "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Any time we play a team that can string two passes together we get torn open. It's plain to see for everyone. If we measure success by keeping clean sheets against Estonia and Armenia then we have reached a new low. We've never put up with losing 6-1 at home.
    And is it a new low to measure success by qualifying for tournaments? We've never been in a situation where we lost 6-1 at home having qualified for a tournament just months earlier. I suppose Alex Ferguson should have got the road after losing 6-1 at home to City last season.

Their short history means nothing. They reached the playoffs on merit, second place in a group that contained Serbia and Slovenia (two countries who have previously qualified), beating them both away. Three of the four teams we could have played in the playoff hadn't previously qualified for anything anyway, due to the fact that we had earned our place as a seeded team.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Nor have Armenia, Bosnia or Montenegro. All can play a bit. Armenia racked up 4 in Slovakia FFS.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    And is it a new low to measure success by qualifying for tournaments? We've never been in a situation where we lost 6-1 at home having qualified for a tournament just months earlier. I suppose Alex Ferguson should have got the road after losing 6-1 at home to City last season.
    I'd rather we hadn't qualified for Euro 2012 to be honest. We were total rubbish, the worst team at the tournament and statistically the worst team in the history of the European Championships.

If that was the best we could possibly do, you'd say one thing, but we had the likes of Marc Wilson and Wes Hoolahan watching at home, not even in the squad - two players who possibly should have been in the first eleven. Especially galling when you think that our main weaknesses were ball retention in the centre of midfield, that Ward had a nightmare against Croatia and that Dunne was not fully fit. Given was also clearly not fit but was picked anyway.

Sometimes Roy Keane is right. We shouldn't be happy to just go along for the sing-song.
    Last edited by brine3; 18/02/2013 at 9:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'd rather we hadn't qualified for Euro 2012 to be honest. We were total rubbish, the worst team at the tournament and statistically the worst team in the history of the European Championships.
    That's easy to say in hindsight though. Can you say that qualification was something you didn't celebrate after the Estonia games?

If that was the best we could possibly do, you'd say one thing, but we had the likes of Marc Wilson and Wes Hoolahan watching at home, not even in the squad - two players who possibly should have been in the first eleven.
    Wilson was invited to take Kevin Foley's place on the standby list, but was unable to do so as his American girlfriend had just gone into hospital in the US.

Sometimes Roy Keane is right. We shouldn't be happy to just go along for the sing-song.
    Of course not. I don't think anyone here is blindly celebrating the Euros because there was a sing-song or whatever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    DiCanio has no respect for Mr Trapattoni.
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/socc...attoni-1951437
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    DiCanio has no respect for Mr Trapattoni.
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/socc...attoni-1951437
    Di Canio pushing an authority figure to the ground and Trap not being able to "fathom the idea of having an extra talented player in the midfield."

Unsavory as the described '93 incident was, at least both men learned a lesson and never repeated their mistakes.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    If trap gets us 6 points against sweden and austria next month then I don't think anyone can disagree with any of his methods.

If trap gets us 2 points or less then i think he has to go.
    Wonder how P.O'S feels now?
    Much the same as me, maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    The only thing you two agree on is that Nigella Lawson has one of the best racks in England. (Overly Pasty as she is.)
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Lamb racks...ya and unfortunately Saatchi found out....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Wonder how P.O'S feels now?
    Much the same as me, maybe?
    He has won a reprieve or extended his stay more like, if he gets 6 in september then I think we can agree with his methods. He has shown possible signs that it could be done. I think 4 would be a decent return, in one way I'd rather it was away against Austria, but in another way I want it to be at home against Sweden where he gets the 3 points.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

24. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast