Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Explosive comments from Stephen Kelly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squareball View Post
    I'd be upset too if Paul McShane was picked ahead of me.
    Trap's original intention was most likely to give Coleman game-time. After his selection, however, Coleman picked up an injury whilst playing for Everton and had to withdraw from the squad. Am I correct in thinking Trap enquired as to Kelly's availability for the Poland game then? Either way, when the squad was first selected, I don't think it was Trap's intention to give McShane a game at the expense of Kelly, as Ian Harte suggests.

Where do you stand on Gibson taking a huff as a result of Trap's preference for Paul Green at the Euros?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Where do you stand on Gibson taking a huff as a result of Trap's preference for Paul Green at the Euros?
    I'd be ****ed off if I was him too. His issue seems to be with the manager not with representing Ireland. Green is pretty rubbish and did very little other than lose possession when he has played for Ireland. I was never Gibson's biggest fan at United but he has improved a lot at Everton. He is very good on the ball and keeps possession well. He may not be the most mobile and this might be Trap's biggest fault in him. Trap tends to go for grafters who are physical and athletic in the middle of the park eg: Green and Andrews.

Kelly should have been given some game time as he is versatile and we are likely to be without Dunne and Sledge for the next competitive games. Trap should have been trying to get as many of his first choice back 4 starting to get used to playing together in a new back-line for the qualifiers rather than experimenting too much. Kelly's experience would have been vital to helping out a defence not used to playing together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    I was never Gibson's biggest fan at United but he has improved a lot at Everton. He is very good on the ball and keeps possession well. He is very good on the ball and keeps possession well. He may not be the most mobile and this might be Trap's biggest fault in him.
    yet he picks Glen Whelan? He looks like he's running barefeet in sand when he plays...
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Green is pretty rubbish and did very little other than lose possession when he has played for Ireland.
    In fairness to Green, he done well against Poland when he came on the last night, but I agree he isn't the best...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I think we have 3 or 4 midfield players who can do a decent job if they have the "right partner" but the "right partner" just hasn't materialised.
    In the trap era the best partnership was probably S. Reid and Whelan, which was only for two games and is no conclusive proof that it would be a consistantly good partnership.
    However whelan has mostly been muck since then which would suggest that CMF really depends on how well the two players compliment eachother.
    As it stands I feel that 2 from Gibson, Meyler, Hendrick and McCarthy would be our best option for a good partnership but none of the four have actually had any decent amount of time together to prove this.
    I wouls also add Conor Henderson to that list if he can get going again.
    Hopefully we will soon have two decent complimentary CMF players - it would make such a big difference to this team.(most of us have been saying this for more than 5 years now i guess)
    Of course if we are going to go for a 5 man MF this would be another story, however we would still need to see which 3 work best together.
    I would prefer a 4-1-2-1-2 system myself with the two 1s working together.
    Also, please dont forget that I'm drunk now

BTW how's MaCaan getting on at Burnly this season?
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 21/02/2013 at 11:07 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    I think we have 3 or 4 midfield players who can do a decent job if they have the "right partner" but the "right partner" just hasn't materialised.
    I'd say the concept of the "right partner" is what is holding us back. Modern football is no longer about two-man partnerships anywhere on the field, outside of maybe centre-half.

BTW how's MaCaan getting on at Burnly this season?
    I'm impressed by how many 'A's you worked into that.

Also, please dont forget that I'm drunk now
    Ah, now I get it

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    He spelt nothing wrong until he made that disclaimer!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    CMF really depends on how well the two players compliment each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    He spelt nothing wrong until he made that disclaimer!
    If that's the case, then I_P thinks central midfield all hinges on the two players being nice to each other?

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I knew I shouldn't have posted hungover ; )
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    If that's the case, then I_P thinks central midfield all hinges on the two players being nice to each other?
    I've twice had my own dear mother correct that error for me in recent e-mails I'd sent her. I'd been completely oblivious to the fact that there were distinct spellings up until then. The shame!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Green is pretty rubbish and did very little other than lose possession when he has played for Ireland.
    And what has Gibson ever done in his 19 caps because I'd say that description wouldn't be unfitting for him either. Only difference is he causes disruption when isn't given the opportunity to showcase his mediocrity.
    Gibson was trap's original selection ahead of Andrews and dropped because he was consistently awful in most of the many opportunities he was given as well as having a reputation for faking groin strains ahead of friendlies. I don't think he has any right to complain.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678