Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Where were the best fans in the world last night ?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except the money doesn't all go to him.

Nor will he be there for Infinity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    If you don't want to buy one or support in that way fair enough, I accept that. You make the point that if you commit cash you accept something back, if/when you give cash to sponsor a child in africa, do you expect to get a letter back saying Dear Skstu....?
    That's totally different. That's charity. All I expect is that the money I donate ultimately benefits the cause I'm supporting. And I do research to try and ensure that's the case. That said, even though i support a charity the charity itself sees the reality that people expect something for an outlay and they "sell" the idea on the fact that the sponsor will get a letter every once in a while from Luis in Nicaragua. in your case, you are purchasing something, you are not supporting a charity, and neither you nor anyone else is benefitting from it.

In fact, the easiest way to look at this is that you're paying for fat-cat Delaney and his cronies junkets around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    This thread is like a horror story. Why someone would actively seek to give hard earned money, to further line the pockets of Mein Führer Delaney is beyond me.
    Thank you.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Yes and that's why I said I buy tickets for club draws and christmas raffles etc also.
    Do you not care about where your money is going?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    No, I have loads of it, I don't need to.

Skstu, you're response reminds me of the "there is no selfless act" in this world debate.

Yes, some of it has probably paid for pints for some fans on trains or in squares or wherever, but I'd also like to believe some of it has helped get a development officer of a saturday in winter down in south roscommon showing some u10s passing drills. You never really know where your money goes. Generally unless you give to a local charity or do the work yourself you never really see where your money goes. I remember reading a statistic before that 70-80% of donations for most charities is in administration and everything else. I know, at least I think i know, that most of the money isn't going where I would like, but I'm not blind to it, can you that make donations to charity say the same?*

And i'm not suggesting its a charitable cause, just how I see the purchase of my ticket.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 14/02/2013 at 3:58 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Fair play Paul.

I'd be in a very similar position. I purchase a season ticket but have no intention of travelling over from Manchester for the friendlies these days. I spent years coming over to friendlies and now I'm old(er) other work/family/financial commitments mean I am limited to the games I can attend and so unsurprisingly I stick to the qualifiers.

The only difference with POSH being I let my ticket (there's actually 3 together) go to a good home and that is usually someone who wants to bring their kids. I doubt they'd go if they weren't getting freebies, so it's not lost revenue to the FAI but hopefully nurturing the paying fan of the future!!

It sickens me that JD sails the FAI ship and the ridiculous wage he earns but if that was the criteria on which i purchased match tickets then I wouldn't attend any games and that's simply not an option. It's my country ffs. I'm presuming those that think this is a lame approach or complicit do not attend ANY Ireland games, surely they wouldn't attend a game against top ranked sides or a play off game for example and thus pack JDs wallet with cash?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It's your money, just as Paul's money is his money. Naysayers will always have an ability to suggest, in their opinions, "better" causes or destinations, but yous can spend it as yous like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Doesn't POSH always say "Mo money Mo problems?"
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    No...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Fair play Paul.

It sickens me that JD sails the FAI ship and the ridiculous wage he earns but if that was the criteria on which i purchased match tickets then I wouldn't attend any games and that's simply not an option. It's my country ffs. I'm presuming those that think this is a lame approach or complicit do not attend ANY Ireland games, surely they wouldn't attend a game against top ranked sides or a play off game for example and thus pack JDs wallet with cash?
    Ya, i didn't want to open that can of worms, creating some introspection on said users(jokin ), who only probably commit to their local clubs, but thats partly what I was thinking as well, those who don't attend any at all or contribute in anyway - (mainly)expats i mean.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 18/02/2013 at 10:18 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    I'm presuming most of that is aimed at me and a couple of others... I'll try and clarify my perspective to avoid certain posters making leaps in logic about what it is that is being discussed at least from my perspective.

Here's the thing. I have only two issues with what you're doing and ill explain those later on. I'll start by saying I totally support you wanting to find a way to support Ireland FC from afar. I support Bohs from Canada in a multitude of ways from membership packages to buying jerseys to Trust fundraisers. I spend a lot more on Bohs than you spend on buying Irish friendly match tickets. Like you Paul, money is not a problem for me either. However for each of the things that I support, I or somebody else get something in return. Its usually me but I've won things in draws that I've donated to others or back to the club. I've bought tickets for the popular Bohs comedy/music nights or the Last Man Standing that I've given to the unwaged. I'm not saying this makes me a great Bohs fan or person - I'm not. I only do these things cos its a way I can support the club from afar. But someone will generally benefit and its usually me.

That's why I have difficulty with your means of support. As someone said you can spend your money as you see fit, i never said otherwise, and I'm not going to try and argue any further about how the price of a ticket breaks down in the grand scheme of Irish football. If you are happy that this is the way for you to support Ireland FC then go for it. All I'd suggest is to look for a way to have that ticket be used by someone who'd appreciate it. Could you donate it to a local Roscommon team or a LOI team or even in marketplace forum on here. I'm sure it'll find a home.

The second "issue" is that this gesture seems to give you a sense of superiority over other fans specifically those who cannot attend games. I haven't been at a game for 7 years but I would consider myself as much of a fan as you. Because being a fan is not in the wallet, it's in the heart. I used to go to every home game without fail but didn't make it to any tournaments more down to bad timing with life events than lack of desire. I'm certainly not going to let my distance fuel any accusations of me being less of a fan than the next person. And your buying of tickets for friendlies doesn't make you a better fan than someone else who's emotional investment is the same as yours. It just doesn't.

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Skstu, that was tongue firmly in cheek about money - but good to know you have loads all the same

The donation about the ticket is a good idea, from both you and junior, definitely. I hadn't thought about it to be honest, though i know from home they cant give them away free!

Yes in your opinion its not, if that's some form of excusing yourself, but I never said it made me more of a fan. Having said that, I have a couple of mates who attend at least 1 game a year who live just as far away as you, some even further. It has nothing to do with wallet, but perhaps effort, or to those who do it, maybe its not seen as effort but as a duty or whatever(I don't include myself in this), but everybody's circumstance is different and everyone's reasoning is different.

Lastly let me just say it wasn't aimed at you solely, most of the contributors on here are expats, and I'm pretty sure most are in the same boat as you when it comes to attendance and purchasing of tickets.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 18/02/2013 at 3:51 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    To bo honest lads, neither of you have come across as saying this or that 'makes you a better fan' so I think skstu you might be picking up on something that isnt there. I just see posters who support their club, country, league in a different way, both have their merits.

I certainly wasnt implying anything along those lines either, my 'bite' was more at the post that insinuated by buying a season ticket or friendly ticket I was lining JD's pockets and POSH pretty much answered that with a sensible post, in that yes Im sure it does a little but it also goes towards supporting other grassroots football (even if it is a much lower % than I'd like) and if nothing else - I expect to pay 30euro per game to see my country play (anyone would wouldnt they?).
    Last edited by Junior; 18/02/2013 at 9:43 PM.

16. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Interesting article in the Sunday Times at the weekend about the poor support at the England vs Ireland rugby game, empty spaces, dull atmosphere, delay in people getting back to their seats because ordering burgers was more important. Sign of the times I am afraid. Sorry I don't have the link.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Don't worry Paul. I still think you're mental.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aren't we all? Well just a little bit...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    One thing that we have established is POSH and STU are both rich.
    Fellas...I can still go to Sweden....
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Ok, see you there...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I would crosby but after all your talk of meeting up in new york 2 years ago next month, i wont subsidise your cost.

We waited for you, in the cold and the rain of some confined place, rain clouded up the windows, off lexington ave and e23rd for 2 weeks, and you never came, wondering why we got out of bed at all....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456