Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FAO Premier Fans Question Re Pubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

FAO Premier Fans Question Re Pubs

I know its not even Febuary but humour me.

What's the story with away supporters in the Premier?? Like in the First Division no one cares there's a match on so you can more or less saunter around as you please.

I know the following are the finest:

Cork City - Horseshoe
    Bray - Wherever
    Shels - Never had a bother in Fagans but not allowed in bar in Tolka

And I know the following are not good:

Bohs - Doyles
    Shamrock - Maldron not good, nothing else for miles around??
    Derry - Too drunk/sick to bother by time I get there.

But what's the story with??

Drogheda - That pub outside the entrance to the ground
    Dundalk - The Clubhouse in Oriel
    Pats - That pub outside the ground
    Sligo - Haven't a clue, haven't been in ten years
    UCD - Nothing for miles

For our own part there's talk that the Shannon Clubhouse could be open for away fans which is actually in the grounds of Thomond Park. After that there's one pub about 500 yards away in Thomondgate and nothing much else for about a mile in any direction.

It'd be nice if people didn't recommend places that weren't actually ok as well. Sure you might want me to get my head kicked in but bear in mind I travel with my da who's both 62 and a gentleman.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Shamrock - Maldron not good, nothing else for miles around??
    There are a few pubs within a 5-10 minute walk. The Abberley is decent. Molloy's too but that's a Rovers pub.

edit: well the Abberley is too but not as much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    [QUOTE=Lim till i die;1658582] I know its not even Febuary but humour me.

What's the story with away supporters in the Premier?? Like in the First Division no one cares there's a match on so you can more or less saunter around as you please.

I know the following are the finest: ...

Dundalk - The Clubhouse in Oriel....]

Garda and DFC Security do a risk assessment and make up minds on the day,based on;away attendance,distance traveled and other factors.Guess it depends on the Garda Super in Charge on the night.
    PatsSligo,GalwayCork, Cliftonville(Setanta cup) have been addmitted without trouble but Waterford were kept out in the play off and i think Cork in the leauge too.(no blame on the fans on either night,Garda decision)

Just down the road from Oriel Park(Opp The train station) there is a very good pub called Kennedys which is 100% away side friendly and a lovely pub (see Brian Kennedys book)
    Last edited by bullit; 30/01/2013 at 2:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    I know its not even Febuary but humour me.

I know the following are the finest:

Cork City - Horseshoe
    The Horseshoe is an absolute ****hole.

I'd have recommended the Turners Cross Tavern or the Evergreen, but one closed and the other is in trouble, though I expect both to be open again by the time the season starts.

Beergarden is better than the Horseshoe but not as good as the above mentioned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Always liked McDowell's (Inchicore), though it's falling into disrepair at this stage. I've never had any problems with Doyle's Corner in Phibsboro, they don't mind away fans heading in and having a singsong (though I wasn't there at all last season so I dunno has this changed?)

When Galway were around, I liked going to Fox's in Eyre Square before a game. Terryland itself doesn't have any pubs nearby but the Galway fans used to throw on socials in Fox's.

In Bray, there's that hotel near the ground. Gets you out of the inevitable wind and cold!

Problem with UCD now is that the bars on campus are both closed, there's talk of one of them re-opening but I've not heard anything about it recently. As a student there I'd recommend going to Ashton's on Clonskeagh Road if you're looking for somewhere before a game. You can cut into campus and walk to Belfield Bowl in about 5/10 mins from there. Google map it beforehand. But you'll obviously not find home fans anywhere!

My least favourite trip is Shels, Drumcondra is an absolute dump - I hate the ground, the home fans and the pubs!
    Last edited by adamd164; 30/01/2013 at 7:03 AM.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    The Montrose Hotel is handy for UCD. The Hibernia (?) beside the Carlisle Grounds was grand last time I was there. No bother in the pub beside United Park either. This was a while ago though *sobs*.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Should you manage to arrive in Derry in a fit state, the Derry City social club on Crawford Square is your best bet. You'll definitely be welcomed there and it has the cheapest pints in town.
    It's about a 10 minute walk from the Brandywell, but there's a shuttle bus on match days (or 3 quid in a taxi).

As for Sligo, O'Neill's across the street from the Showgrounds is where you'll be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Should you manage to arrive in Derry in a fit state, the Derry City social club on Crawford Square is your best bet. You'll definitely be welcomed there and it has the cheapest pints in town.
    It's about a 10 minute walk from the Brandywell, but there's a shuttle bus on match days (or 3 quid in a taxi).

As for Sligo, O'Neill's across the street from the Showgrounds is where you'll be.
    Mooneys is the pub across from the Showgrounds (unless they've changed the name and I haven't noticed!)
    Last edited by Nah Nah Nah Nah; 30/01/2013 at 8:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    The Hibo just across the DART line from the turnstiles is your best bet in Bray. Either that, or the Harbour Bar at the other end of the ground. Never actually been in there on a football night, but saw some Drogheda fans spilling out about 5 hours before kick-off once who looked like they'd been having a great time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    For Shels we generally drink in Kennedys as we've been turned away from Fagans on occasion. We don't bother them with our custom anymore.
    Drogs, Mother Hughes is where I've been on my times up there. Been a few years now.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    The Montrose Hotel is handy for UCD.
    Closed years ago (early 2010). Same with Lonnegans. Clonskeagh or even Donnybrook is the nearest to go for a pint now, annoyingly.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    The Goat in Goatstown is a decent spot for UCD - but a drive to the college.

In Tallaght I'd recommend the Plaza, just across from the ground and the food on offer is usually good.

Doyle's in Phibsboro has a nice pint and (ElP?) Kennedy's is a good spot for Tolka. Though last time I was in there was someone selling paintings!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    For Shels we generally drink in Kennedys as we've been turned away from Fagans on occasion. We don't bother them with our custom anymore.
    Drogs, Mother Hughes is where I've been on my times up there. Been a few years now.
    I only would drink in Kennedys. Far superior boozer.
    That's were I head for my all to rare pre-game pints.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    The Hibo just across the DART line from the turnstiles is your best bet in Bray. Either that, or the Harbour Bar at the other end of the ground. Never actually been in there on a football night, but saw some Drogheda fans spilling out about 5 hours before kick-off once who looked like they'd been having a great time!
    The Harbour Bar is a whopper spot. One of the greatest pubs on the planet without any word of hyperbole. Supoib.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Closed years ago (early 2010). Same with Lonnegans. Clonskeagh or even Donnybrook is the nearest to go for a pint now, annoyingly.
    Oh right. I said it had been a while!
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I've put my comments in brackets. Generally I've never had any trouble in pubs near grounds.

Cork City - Horseshoe (yeah handiest. Kip but you're only there a short while)
    Bray - Wherever (Katie Hannigans or the Hibernian are the nearest two - on the sea front - both grand).
    Shels - Never had a bother in Fagans but not allowed in bar in Tolka (Fagans is pretty standard)

Bohs - Doyles (Doyle's is grand. Never any Bohs fans there. The Hut beside it is OK too)
    Shamrock - Maldron not good, nothing else for miles around?? (Not really. I've drank in the maldron in my Pats jersey so it'll be ok for you to hvae 1/2 there IMO. Sit in the lobby to avoid the crowds)
    Derry - Too drunk/sick to bother by time I get there. (Me too. Depending in the time you get there, the bluebell and that little brandywell bar on the crner can do a job. Neither great but if you've only half an hour why go elsewhere? Derry fans will invite you into their social club)

Drogheda - That pub outside the entrance to the ground (Grand, no bother)
    Dundalk - The Clubhouse in Oriel (Dodgy as hell in my experience - pub across the road from the Train station is grand)
    Pats - That pub outside the ground (McDowells. Away fans welcome. You'll have no bother in any of the Inchicore pubs if you're not loud)
    Sligo - Haven't a clue, haven't been in ten years (Mooney's, just up the hill from the ground. Grand, no trouble)
    UCD - Nothing for miles (Goat is neearest unless you can get into the Student bar if it re-opens).
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I've put my comments in brackets. Generally I've never had any trouble in pubs near grounds.

Cork City - Horseshoe (yeah handiest. Kip but you're only there a short while)
    Bray - Wherever (Katie Hannigans or the Hibernian are the nearest two - on the sea front - both grand).
    Shels - Never had a bother in Fagans but not allowed in bar in Tolka (Fagans is pretty standard)

Bohs - Doyles (Doyle's is grand. Never any Bohs fans there. The Hut beside it is OK too)
    Shamrock - Maldron not good, nothing else for miles around?? (Not really. I've drank in the maldron in my Pats jersey so it'll be ok for you to hvae 1/2 there IMO. Sit in the lobby to avoid the crowds)
    Derry - Too drunk/sick to bother by time I get there. (Me too. Depending in the time you get there, the bluebell and that little brandywell bar on the crner can do a job. Neither great but if you've only half an hour why go elsewhere? Derry fans will invite you into their social club)

Drogheda - That pub outside the entrance to the ground (Grand, no bother)
    Dundalk - The Clubhouse in Oriel (Dodgy as hell in my experience - pub across the road from the Train station is grand)
    Pats - That pub outside the ground (McDowells. Away fans welcome. You'll have no bother in any of the Inchicore pubs if you're not loud)
    Sligo - Haven't a clue, haven't been in ten years (Mooney's, just up the hill from the ground. Grand, no trouble)
    UCD - Nothing for miles (Goat is neearest unless you can get into the Student bar if it re-opens).
    Im sure it is seen as though its run by the club and theres ample security personel in it. Ye also dont get in that often.

Regarding Shels, Most DFC fans go to the Cat in the Cage before Tolka matches.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Long's in Donnybrook is half the distance btw. Just go out the campus exit right beside the ground (out turnstiles, turn left) rather than heading for the main entrance. (That's if you're on foot, of course; if you're in the car, the extra mile doesn't really make a huge difference and the nearest pub probably depends on what gates are open anyway)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillonman View Post
    Im sure it is seen as though its run by the club and theres ample security personel in it. Ye also dont get in that often.
    Been in it 3 times. Didn't enjoy any of them. Dundalk fans clearly love it, and thats the way it should be. As an outsider I didn't feel comfortable, and thats what LTID is asking for. I'll grant you there was a huge security presence there the last time, but tbh that doesn't help my comfort levels
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Mooneys is the pub across from the Showgrounds (unless they've changed the name and I haven't noticed!)
    You're right, Mooneys.
    Is O'Neill's actually the one on down the street towards the town?
    Have you ever won the treble?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast