Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FAO Premier Fans Question Re Pubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    What about pubs near Thomond Park? Where are we gonna drink for the first game of the season?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    What about pubs near Thomond Park? Where are we gonna drink for the first game of the season?
    Hopefully one of the Limerick lads will take a stab at this.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    There is a newly renovated pub down the road called Fitzpatricks (formerly quiltys pub). It's hard to know whether Shannon or Bohs will open up for the matches as they would need to be guaranteed a big crowd in drinking to be worth their while. The next nearest pubs are either down into thomondgate which ye wouldn't be going down to and the ardhu bar on the Ennis road ( usually takes me 15 minutes to walk from their) which is probably the nicest and biggest pub in the area.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    So you'd expect them to open for us then?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    There is a newly renovated pub down the road called Fitzpatricks (formerly quiltys pub). It's hard to know whether Shannon or Bohs will open up for the matches as they would need to be guaranteed a big crowd in drinking to be worth their while. The next nearest pubs are either down into thomondgate which ye wouldn't be going down to and the ardhu bar on the Ennis road ( usually takes me 15 minutes to walk from their) which is probably the nicest and biggest pub in the area.
    If they're not going to open up on a Friday night, when are they open?

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    They're only open on match days for either club, Munster matches and for private parties. Other than that they're closed. Even when Shannon play Bohs, whoever is down as the home team opens and the other stays closed.

I wouldn't hold my breath on them opening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I can't see them being too welcoming to the LOI brigade !

"Guys, stop throwing bananas"

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    The Ardhu is lovely if you don't mind the walk. I've always associated it more with GAA days myself, but its big and welcoming for crowds.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    In Inchicore you either have McDowells or Taveys that would be best on match nights. No problem with away fans in either so you will be grand

My own experiences:
    Bohs: Doyles is where I usually go, tends to be more Pats fans thatn Bohs in there so it's alright

Bray: We are usually coming from the town so we stop off in one of the 2 smallish pus on that little strip on the way down to the ground. Never many people in them so never any problems

Cork: If we are staying overnight we go to the Turners Cross Tavern, if we are just down for the game then the horseshoe, both ok. Usually have at least someone coming up to us telling us how much they hate Dubs, you will probably get the same being from Limerick

Derry: I either go to the same one on the corner again usually full with Pats fans or the one just down the road past the chipper which is a nice spot and the locals are usually very friendly

Drogheda: the one beside the ground is grand, never any bother

Dundalk: Also go to the one just down the road from Oriel heading back towards the town. Also found the staff there very welcoming

Shamrock: Maldron is crap and I wouldn't bother with the other pubs around Tallaght. I only live a 10 minute drive away so usually just drink in my own local and get a taxi up for about €10. Maldron probably your best bet tho

Shels: Kennedys, never any problems and close to the ground

Sligo: Mooneys is a god spot. Sligo fans are a nice bunch and usually a good bit of craic in there before games

UCD: Bit of a nightmare now that the 2 student bars are gone. Have gone down to Ashtons a few times but a good bit away from the ground
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I've put my comments in brackets. Generally I've never had any trouble in pubs near grounds.

Dundalk - The Clubhouse in Oriel (Dodgy as hell in my experience - pub across the road from the Train station is grand)
    Maybe that should read Dodge's hell! I wouldnt like to walk in to a pub and see some of those around either but as a football club bar the Lilywhite is fine, little trouble that i have ever seen. Like most fans people just want to meet fellow LoI supporters for a chat. Bit of food well cocktail sausages and chips was often layed on for those travelling a distance though havent seen that recently. Derry lads often stopped off on the way home which not so long ago was our only premier division contact. Kennedys is for sure a nice bar and first stop on the way to lilywhite.

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Should you manage to arrive in Derry in a fit state, the Derry City social club on Crawford Square is your best bet. You'll definitely be welcomed there and it has the cheapest pints in town.
    It's about a 10 minute walk from the Brandywell, but there's a shuttle bus on match days (or 3 quid in a taxi).

As for Sligo, O'Neill's across the street from the Showgrounds is where you'll be.
    Or alternatively you can go to Maileys on the Lecky Rd, about 1 minutes walk from the ground. Alot of Derry fans gather here (including myself) before all home games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I've found decent options for all away games except those in Tallaght.

Safer to get in out of that place quickly.

UCD might me an issue now that the student bars are closed.
    Last edited by White Horse; 31/01/2013 at 6:05 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Pubs next to Thomond are few and far between. Most away fans and many home too will probably just walk from the city centre before and after so take your pick there. 20 min walk from centre to ground. A very popular one though on Munster matchdays is The Curragower. Its on the north side of the river so about as close as it gets (15 min walk) and en route from town. Good food and has a nice terrace overlooking the river and the castle. Plenty of room outside too for the summer sun. Nice pub. Would expect no problem for away fans but it will be new territory for the pub I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillonman View Post
    Im sure it is seen as though its run by the club and theres ample security personel in it. Ye also dont get in that often.

Regarding Shels, Most DFC fans go to the Cat in the Cage before Tolka matches.
    The Cat 'n Cage is a must stop for any Dundalk supporter going to Tolka.The regs in there never blink an eye,something that i like.How do Dublin people rate the pub?

Outside of our clubhouse and Kennedys i would also go with The Windsor(same managment as Kennedys and not far from the ground) Jimmys in Park street(Owned by a DFC supporter) and The Phoneeix also in Park street(another good DFC Fan owned bar) and Ridleys bar,which is former DFC' players Barry Kehoe' familys pub
    and niteclub .

Welcome to Fundalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    You're right, Mooneys.
    Is O'Neill's actually the one on down the street towards the town?
    Ya Mooneys is across the road and O'Neills is at the bottom of the hill on the way up to the ground.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Mother Hughes is the one to go to in Drogheda. About five minutes walk from United Park down the Windmill Road. Always a great atmosphere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post
    The Cat 'n Cage is a must stop for any Dundalk supporter going to Tolka.The regs in there never blink an eye,something that i like.How do Dublin people rate the pub?
    Even as a Dublin GAA and Shels man and a former resident of Drumcondra I never darkened it's door. Kennedy's is quality. It seems like a trek due to that. I may darken it's door when ye come down this year though.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

19. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It's been a while, but still a few thoughts...

Pats - I wouldn't go anywhere else but McDowells. My favourite (none Longford) LoI pub of all time - been in pre match, post match, win and lose.

Bohs - Never had an issue in Doyles, but more often than not have ended up having pints in their bar without issue.

Bray - Hibernian would be the standard spot, but before that was established I've had a few sessions in Katie Gallaghers without any bother (iirc had food a couple of times there which was ok). I think we had a few post match sessions in the bar in the station too, when I used to be in Dublin - last dart back into Town.

Shels - Normally end up in Fagan's. Normally would be ok, even if some the clientele aren't the mae west and the irritation of holding back giving them abuse tempers the night...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Shels - Normally end up in Fagan's. Normally would be ok, even if some the clientele aren't the mae west and the irritation of holding back giving them abuse tempers the night...
    You're not joking there. I met Bertie Ahern in there once!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    You're not joking there. I met Bertie Ahern in there once!
    I once had the pleasure of watching the drunken lecherous ***** **** ********** ***** ****** ****** ***** ***** and then picked *** ****** ***** ******* *** **** with a banana.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast