Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Cup qualifying

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts

2014 World Cup qualifying

Qualifying is underway for this (except in Europe and Oceania) - don't see a thread on it though.

In Asia, North Korea are already out, and 2002 qualifiers China are all but out. Jordan - who've never qualified - are going well; five wins and a draw (in a dead game); 19 goals scored and 2 conceded. Uzbekistan have been doing well too; think they've been just outside the qualification spots in recent years. So qualifying will be 4 or 5 from Jordan, Iraq, South Korea, Lebanon, Japan, Uzbekistan, Australia, Iran, Qatar/Bahrain (depending on who wins in Doha on Tuesday) and Saudi Arabia/Oman/Thailand (too close to call there; Oman don't have to play Australia). So a very good chance of a new qualifier there (in italics).

In North and Central America, Trinidad & Tobago are out, knocked out by Guyana, boosted by having Carl Cort (and his brother); it's the furthest they've ever gotten in qualifying. Still two more rounds to go though. Cuba got a bye into the penultimate round; must have improved in recent years. They've got a not particularly tricky group of Honduras, Canada and Panama.

Venezuela - the only South American team never to have qualified - beat Argentina at home and picked up a draw in Colombia. Argentina were also held at home by Bolivia. Uruguay are already three points clear after Suarez scored four against Chile.

There's games in all zones (again except Europe and Oceania) on Monday and Tuesday.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I would say that Panama will def qualify for their first world cup, they played some really great attacking football in the last concaf comp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    In North and Central America, Trinidad & Tobago are out, knocked out by Guyana, boosted by having Carl Cort (and his brother); it's the furthest they've ever gotten in qualifying. Still two more rounds to go though. Cuba got a bye into the penultimate round; must have improved in recent years. They've got a not particularly tricky group of Honduras, Canada and Panama.
    T&T deserved to go out, Guyana have been the better side in Qualifying (and in that match which I saw) and are undefeated while T&T lost to Bermuda (again). One of the bigger story lines in my book was that Guyana's manager is a Trinbagonian who the TTFF essentially cast off to Guyana (he also managed a Trinidadian club team until recently...or maybe he still does). Furthermore, the guy who opened the scoring for Guyana (with an excellent volley) is Ebbsfleet's Ricky Shakes -- who was capped for T&T in a friendly against Iceland in 2006, was deemed surplus to requirements, and joined up with Guyana in a friendly against an English club last year and made his debut for Guyana in October. The guy who scored Guyana's second was "Carl Cort's brother" Leon who perhaps deserves to be called more than just Carl Cort's brother as he has had a decent career in the Championship and in the Premier League with Stoke and Burnley. T&T and Guyana have been "sparring partners" for the past few years and yet this was T&T's first loss to Guyana in some 34 years.

Antigua and Barbuda also made it through to reach the farthest they've ever gone after narrowly defeating Haiti on Friday night, awful mistake by Haitian keeper Placide (similar to Duff's goal against Saudi Arabia) when a draw would've meant that their match in Port-au-Prince tomorrow actually meant something. Former Ireland U17 Kieran Murtagh is in Antigua and Barbuda's side.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 14/11/2011 at 7:00 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Excellent result for São Tomé and Príncipe against Congo with a 1-1 draw in Congo. They still lost the tie on aggregate but not a bad result as they hadn't played a match in some 8 years.

One of Mozambique's scorers today's name is apparently just Whiskey.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Good work Worm, keep us posted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Excellent result for São Tomé and Príncipe against Congo with a 1-1 draw in Congo. They still lost the tie on aggregate but not a bad result as they hadn't played a match in some 8 years.

One of Mozambique's scorers today's name is apparently just Whiskey.
    Bravo.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Qualifying is underway for this (except in Europe and Oceania) - don't see a thread on it though.

In Asia, North Korea are already out, and 2002 qualifiers China are all but out. Jordan - who've never qualified - are going well; five wins and a draw (in a dead game); 19 goals scored and 2 conceded. Uzbekistan have been doing well too; think they've been just outside the qualification spots in recent years. So qualifying will be 4 or 5 from Jordan, Iraq, South Korea, Lebanon, Japan, Uzbekistan, Australia, Iran, Qatar/Bahrain (depending on who wins in Doha on Tuesday) and Saudi Arabia/Oman/Thailand (too close to call there; Oman don't have to play Australia). So a very good chance of a new qualifier there (in italics).
    Uzbekistan have been there or therabouts in recent campaigns. Shakhtish is probably their best known player (played with Lokomotiv in Moscow I think?) and Kiev.

Asia really went tits up this campaign alright, the North were gone early doors too. (apologies - it was the UAE I was thinking of)

In all probability, given the AFC have proposed to seed the next round, it's quite unlikely that the applecart will be upset too much.

There still will be two of Australia, Japan, Iran and South Korea in each group, and with the 5th qualifier having to beat 5th in South America, I just can't see an upset there.

Jordan, Lebanon, Qatar (likely to get through given the final day matches) will get thrown by the wayside in the two final groups. Best bet would be as you mentioned Uzbekistan or Iraq to come through the continental play-off. I'd love to see someone new get through btw, but the odds would be against it I'd imagine
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Some quality matches today, American Samoa vs Tonga and Cook Islands vs Western Samoa (who I believe are captained by Tim Cahill's brother). Both Samoas are joint bottom of the world ranking with Montserrat and a few others and Tonga and Cook Islands I don't believe are too far off, though I think all it takes is a draw to get off the foot of the rankings. Some may remember American Samoa lost 31-0 to Australia a few years ago. Unfortunately I don't think there will be a stream (but am hoping for some highlights), so I'll have to settle for the bright lights and fancy cars of the FA Cup with Stourbridge hosting Plymouth.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 22/11/2011 at 5:31 PM.
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Well American Samoa have their first ever official win (their only even non-official win came over Wallis and Futuna when neither were FIFA members, they've never drawn), 2-1 over Tonga, which will see them come off the bottom of the FIFA rankings. They play in the Toleafoa J.S. Blatter Complex which immediately makes me wonder how they all of the sudden got this win.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 23/11/2011 at 6:18 AM.
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Reaching into the depths conspiracy theory a bit too much there, I think! They were nearly top of their group too, but Samoa scored a last-minute winner against the Cook Islands.

Just as an update to my earlier post, China are out, Qatar are all but through and the Saudi Arabia/Oman/Thailand group has gone down to the last game - to be played in Feb, for some reason. If the Saudis lose in Australia, they're out unless Oman v Thailand is a draw. Oman haven't conceded a goal at home yet and Thailand are bottom of their group. That said, Thailand won the home game 3-0, and Oman have only scored once in the entire campaign (in beating Australia).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I hadn't seen the Samoa result but that would see them off the bottom of the FIFA Rankings as well. Poor old Montserrat will be down there all alone

EDIT: In fact Montserrat are rooted to the bottom with Andorra and San Marino...so it would be safe to assume that if we played Montserrat we'd struggle to beat them and certainly not by more than two goals.
    My Guarantee

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    What about Lebanon beating south Korea, result of the round surely

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    American Samoa played a transgender player in defence, Johnny Saelua, formerly known as Jayieh, think it's his (her? their? I don't know) fourth of fifth cap
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    American Samoa played a transgender player in defence, Johnny Saelua, formerly known as Jayieh, think it's his (her? their? I don't know) fourth of fifth cap
    Well that's the key!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Man of the match too, apparently.

Actually, the internet is quite superb. Match highlights -

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I think that was the slowest game of ball I've ever seen.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Both of the return legs ended in draws tonight so both Samoas go through.
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    It's a group, not two two-legged ties. The winner of American Samoa v Samoa will go through (or Samoa if it's a draw). Game on late tomorrow night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    It's a group, not two two-legged ties. The winner of American Samoa v Samoa will go through (or Samoa if it's a draw). Game on late tomorrow night.
    Yeah I was a little bit confused, also it turns out the Blatter Complex is in fact in Apia (Western Samoa's capital), though the conspiracy theory still holds.
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Well Western Samoa beat American Samoa with a last minute goal (draw would've seen them through anyway) to make it to the next round. They'll join Vanuatu, New Caledonia, and Tahiti in the next round. I know a little bit about the latter two teams and they aren't any pushovers at this level of world football though I don't think Samoa will be completely overrun.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    I would say that Panama will def qualify for their first world cup, they played some really great attacking football in the last concaf comp
    They have a weak group in the coming round (you really never know what you'll get with Cuba) but even then I doubt they'll make the Hex. They need "El Matador" Tejada and Blas Perez to bang in a bunch of goals to have any chance.
    My Guarantee

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast