Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby 2013

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    They should beat Fiji but will find it very tough to overcome the physically and technically superior Baby Blacks. Still, there's an outside chance they could make the top 4 as the best runner-up.
    Saw the Baby Blacks struggle for 30mins against Fiji last Wednesday evening. It was 18-06 NZ when Fiji had a man red carded for a dump tackle. They had another man red carded in the second half as well as 3 more yellow card - they played a good share of the second half with just 12 men. On the evidence of the first 30 mins NZ are not that special - the Aussie's will give them a right test.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    And now Healy is out of the tour with an ankle injury.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22814956
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Saw the Baby Blacks struggle for 30mins against Fiji last Wednesday evening. It was 18-06 NZ when Fiji had a man red carded for a dump tackle. They had another man red carded in the second half as well as 3 more yellow card - they played a good share of the second half with just 12 men. On the evidence of the first 30 mins NZ are not that special - the Aussie's will give them a right test.
    Four tries in the first half doesn't really seem like struggling to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    i'm sorry - good that he was cleared for all the irish players and shame injury now has finish his tour .......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Four tries in the first half doesn't really seem like struggling to me.
    2 Tries in the first 32 mins and then it was easy against 14 , 13 and 12 men. Did you see it ? Maybe its just me but between minutes 5 and 35 they didn't look anything like the superpower they normally are at this level.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I only saw the highlights, but I think your definition of struggling and mine are different. Struggling would indicate the result was ever in doubt, whereas it seems they were just a bit laboured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Yeah, he's not quite in Hartley's league, but he certainly has his moments.
    Ah, we breed them in fairness. Clohessy, Popplewell etc... Hayes was an exception...

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    The under 20 world cup game with New Zeland was a good watch yesterday evening. They looked in for a hammering after 10 minutes of the second half but staged a great recovery and maybe should have won in the closing stages with the All Blacks down to 14 men but they were a bit over anxious and made costly errors in good positions. The attacking play from both teams was pretty spectacular at times and it was a very open and fast moving game. Plenty of horrible errors from both teams too but it made for an entertaining spectacle.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Christian Wade and - seriously - Brad Barritt called up with doubts persisting over North and Roberts. It truly is silly season. Ian Madigan must be wondering what he's done to offend Gatland.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Has anyone else witnessed friends hurling themselves straight off the Lions bandwagon today? Several people on my FB feed claiming they won't even watch the last test now, having been big "fans" all along.

My problem with the Lions was that I couldn't get over a lack of identity with the idea, so I was never that into the tour. It appears to be now that a lot of others have that issue, and were only watching to see how the handful of Irish players got on.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think it's more loyalty to BOD than anything. I find Gatland's selections bizarre. They will lose heavily I think.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I have no identity with the Lions or the Ryder cup team for that matter, but I don't mind watching both these sport's events, top quality competition.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I've heard the Anglo Irish tapes have caused less uproar at home.

I can take or leave the Lions. If they win I'll be happy for a bit and if they lose I'll get over it after about 5 minutes. That said, I think both tests have been utterly gripping and compelling, although the quality of the second test was poor.

Gatland seems to have packed the team with players from the one country in UK and IRL that can't beat Australia!

I'm looking forward to Saturday. Shame about BOD but we have 4 others starting and no player is bigger than the team. I'd like to have seen him and Roberts play together again, but all good things come to an end.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Malachy Clerkin drawing some ire in the comments section for this article in the Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...1453007?page=1

I have to say I largely agree, which is not to say I'm not gripped by this Lions series. I think Sky have covered it well though, and in general their rugby commentary and analysis is better than their football, bar Gary Neville.

"The Lions don't have supporters, they have an audience". It's a good observation although I'm not sure it matters whether they're fans as such, or event tourists with rugby at the centre of it. The folklore does give it context and it really does matter to the players and other insiders.

But for me, the result only matters for a very short time, not enough to make or ruin my lunch, let alone my day. Drawing with Austria still hurts, let alone Heysel, the 92 euros campaign, Macedonia....aaahh, they STILL hurt!

Btw, deliberate error above, of course we only have 3 starting.

Is Gatland going all Trapattoni on this one? To me, the evidence from Brisbane was that actually playing ball was the way forward, but immediately he reverted to the rugby equivalent of playing without the ball and trying the stifle a game and it looks like he has gone further in that direction now.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Gatland vindicated.

I proved my agreement with Malachy Clerkin. I was happy they won but after about ten minutes I couldn't give a fig. Probably closer to 5 actually. In fact I was glad Australia made a game of it because I wanted it to stay exciting. That'd never happen to me watching Ireland playing in any sport.

A bit of me is turned off the whole Lions thing in that it's the ultimate lads' rugby tour - great for the players for a lifelong bond, but it's a giant-sized version of the insider / outsider divisions that rugby created in my school and I'm pretty sure exists in most schools and colleges.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Great result for Cymru yesterday...

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I couldn't help but log on to Twitter just as the game was drawing to a close yesterday. The sheer amount of people who spent that time, as their team won their first test series in yonks, bemoaning Gatland, insisting that BOD's inclusion would have made no difference to proceedings and a hair breath away from saying the better team lost was really eye-raising. I know there is an event junkie element to this, but its clear to me a big part of the Lions fanbase is super casual, and turned on the team the second "one of our own" was, in their eyes, wronged.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    The ultimate 'event junkies'​ ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I know there is an event junkie element to this, but its clear to me a big part of the Lions fanbase is super casual, and turned on the team the second "one of our own" was, in their eyes, wronged.
    Well obviously. The team exists for two months every four years, people's big rugby interest is hardly going to be in the Lions. It's ultimately a bit of fun at the end of the season for most people, no more. It's no surprise to me that most people are more invested in Brian O'Driscoll than the Lions.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Joe Schmidt's first extended squad ahead of the Autumn Internationals:

Ireland Squad

Backs (18): Rob Kearney (Leinster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Tommy Bowe (Ulster), Simon Zebo (Munster), Niall Morris (Leicester), Dave Kearney (Leinster), Fergus McFadden (Leinster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Brian O’Driscoll (Leinster), Keith Earls (Munster), Luke Marshall (Ulster), Gordon D’Arcy (Leinster), Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Ian Madigan (Leinster), Conor Murray (Munster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Isaac Boss (Leinster).

Forwards (24): Cian Healy (Leinster), David Kilcoyne (Munster), Jack McGrath (Leinster), Stephen Archer (Munster), Declan Fitzpatrick (Ulster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Rory Best (Ulster), Seán Cronin (Leinster), Richardt Strauss (Leinster), Mike Sherry (Munster), Donncha O’Callaghan (Munster), Paul O’Connell (Munster), Donnacha Ryan (Munster), Mike McCarthy (Leinster), Devin Toner (Leinster), Dan Tuohy (Ulster), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Peter O’Mahony (Munster), Kevin McLaughlin (Leinster), James Coughlan (Munster), Shane Jennings (Leinster), Seán O’Brien (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster), Chris Henry (Ulster).

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast