Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Former players give the opinions on the LOI and other matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Former players give the opinions on the LOI and other matters.

While its not very positive and I don’t agree with everything that’s been said, its worth a watch/listen not just for CCFC fans but any LOI fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1r4KSGju3s

"Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Re : George

Sign him up RTÉ
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I suppose there is a bit of a disconnect between players and football and what happens in other industries but they are the pitfalls of contracts and contract work. You are paid for a certain period and when you are not under contract then you are not paid. No company will employ you when they don't need you. Personally i think its mad the amount of the work force today are contracting (in most industries), and who don't have the same safe guards as other but that's what is happening, you just have to deal with it. And that's what the players have to deal with.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Didn't watch all of it (first 10 minutes or so) as I didn't have the time but from what I saw most of it was unrealistic. Fair enough it's tough on players when money isn't coming in in the off season but where do they think the clubs would get the money to pay them?

They also say if clubs want better players then they need to offer better wages but once again were are the clubs going to get the money? - the examples they came up with of top clubs who made the League stronger because they spent more money are actually crazy seeing as most of them went bust because of the spending or nearly went out of existence altogether.

The league is just starting to get a little more sustainable with clubs spending more within their means. If more people came out and supported the clubs maybe then the wages would be increased or more money spent on that side of the game but until then it can't happen, end of story. Fans aren't willing to pay more at the gate because the product on display has never been worth more than €15 max.

Clubs are bringing in more young players on smaller wages because it is the smart and viable thing to do and also offers young players the chance to make a name for themselves and secure a decent move abroad if thats what they want. Paying a squad of 22 experienced players high wages is just asking to get you in to trouble and I can't believe they actually argued the point that by paying big wages Cork won the League like it justified it, forgetting Shels, Bohs etc… did the same and were on the brink of being non existent.

Players need to make as much money as possible and that is understandable but if you want to make big money at the end of the day the LOI isn't the place to do it so either move on to another country and try your luck there or accept what the clubs can afford.

I do agree with them though about clubs leaving it late to sort out players although that seems to be happening quicker now. Waiting till after Christmas for pre-season before making them an offer or even contacting players is bad form and leaves a lot of lads unsure of their futures. I think most clubs now (especially to under23's) send out contract renewals at least 60 working days before the end of the current one. If you haven't received a contract offer by then then it is up to yourself to start looking for a new club as soon as possible and the clubs own fault if they lose you for the next season.
    Last edited by Jofspring; 15/01/2013 at 11:05 PM.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    I do agree with them though about clubs leaving it late to sort out players although that seems to be happening quicker now. Waiting till after Christmas for pre-season before making them an offer or even contacting players is bad form and leaves a lot of lads unsure of their futures. I think most clubs now (especially to under23's) send out contract renewals at least 60 working days before the end of the current one. If you haven't received a contract offer by then then it is up to yourself to start looking for a new club as soon as possible and the clubs own fault if they lose you for the next season.
    That was the only bit I felt they were credible on as well, to me the rest of it was just O'Halloran seeming to directly contradict the stance he took on each previous matter with his views on the the current topic while O'Callaghan lacked the wherewithal to spot this or ask even one question that might highlight it. Harrington brought nothing of value at all. It was exceptionally poor stuff, and the bit of F.A.I. bashing apart, miles off the mark in general. Harrington seemed to be playing it cute by saying little enough which is fine in a pub maybe, but don't go on a panel with that attitude to a discussion like ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    No different from any old farts waffling down the pub. No balance at all.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    No access in work, and no phone, so can't watch the video. However, if they're giving out about season only contracts they need a reality check as to what they actually are in the current climate - they're essentially semi-pro players, rather than fully pro, whatever they might like to be. Admittedly it's harder to get a day job than it might have been a few years ago, but still...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Sweet jesus, what the f**k is Greg Halloran doing talking about the league when he admits during the production he has no interest in going to a League of Ireland game, even to see Cork City play. It's attitudes like his that his that would turn anybody off getting involved.
    Whats that comin' over the hill

It's the Monster,

The Cookie Monster!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Didn't watch all of it (first 10 minutes or so) as I didn't have the time but from what I saw most of it was unrealistic. Fair enough it's tough on players when money isn't coming in in the off season but where do they think the clubs would get the money to pay them?

They also say if clubs want better players then they need to offer better wages but once again were are the clubs going to get the money? - the examples they came up with of top clubs who made the League stronger because they spent more money are actually crazy seeing as most of them went bust because of the spending or nearly went out of existence altogether.

The league is just starting to get a little more sustainable with clubs spending more within their means. If more people came out and supported the clubs maybe then the wages would be increased or more money spent on that side of the game but until then it can't happen, end of story. Fans aren't willing to pay more at the gate because the product on display has never been worth more than €15 max.

Clubs are bringing in more young players on smaller wages because it is the smart and viable thing to do and also offers young players the chance to make a name for themselves and secure a decent move abroad if thats what they want. Paying a squad of 22 experienced players high wages is just asking to get you in to trouble and I can't believe they actually argued the point that by paying big wages Cork won the League like it justified it, forgetting Shels, Bohs etc… did the same and were on the brink of being non existent.

Players need to make as much money as possible and that is understandable but if you want to make big money at the end of the day the LOI isn't the place to do it so either move on to another country and try your luck there or accept what the clubs can afford.

Have to agree with everything here
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Only1Rovers View Post
    Sweet jesus, what the f**k is Greg Halloran doing talking about the league when he admits during the production he has no interest in going to a League of Ireland game, even to see Cork City play. It's attitudes like his that his that would turn anybody off getting involved.
    Greg is a knobhead. Glad he doesn't come to our games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Only1Rovers View Post
    Greg is a special circumstance to be fair, if it were any other player i'd take that point on board but trust me, this one is different.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Yes indeed, players should obviously be paid 52 weeks a year (at least) and paid what they believe they are worth. Sure look at the amazing shows of loyallty the same players regularly show to our clubs, dont they deserve the very best ?

And sure if a few clubs have to go to the wall.....................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    WARNING!!!!

Link contains George O'Callaghan giving his opinions.

Should be in the thread title to be fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Agree, no balance at all. About the FIFPro trip to Norway,O'Callaghan says they should've taken the amount spent on the trip and given it to LOI players out of contract...had to kick the laptop up and down the road to set myself right after that one. What a bunch of ****s.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Maybe the former players need to take a look at those playing around them

This vvvv

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...b-3357279.html

This vvvv

And of course Eddie Van Boxtel.

There were others of course,names escaping now.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    "The PFA is in a different league to the PFAI" - Yes, that'd be the English League.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

19. Thanks From: