Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAO PP-Help me with my politics homework!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

FAO PP-Help me with my politics homework!

I know this is goign to go straight in the rubbish but I need Mr. PP to see this and I know he is online. Could you reply/PM me with an (A Level standard) definition of the difference between Direct Democracy and Indirect Democracy.
    Thanks a million
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fair juice to ya-had been searching the net for the last hour and thought I'd ask for a hand from ma mate with the Politics Ba/Ma
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Direct democracy in its traditional form is Rule by the people through referenda. The people are given the right to pass laws, veto laws and withdraw support from a representative (if the system has representatives) at any time. Some of the issues surrounding the related notion of a direct democracy using the Internet and other communications technologies are dealt with in e-democracy/Internet democracy. In the United States when specific direct democracy issues, other than the election of representatives, reach a local- or state-level ballot, they are commonly referred to by local and state governments as "ballot questions" or "ballot measures".

Various governments around the world exhibit one or more of the above pillars; for example, just over half the states in the United States have citizen-sponsored ballot initiatives and the vast majority have either initiatives and/or referenda.

Switzerland provides the strongest example of a modern direct democracy, as it exhibits the first two pillars at both the local and federal levels. In the past 120 years more than 240 initiatives have been put to referendum. The populace has been conservative, granting about 10% of the initiatives put; in addition, they have often opted for a version of the initiative rewritten by government.

The second pillar can include the ability to hold a binding referendum on whether a given law should be scrapped. This effectively grants the populace a veto on government legislation.

Indirect democracy
    Indirect democracy is a broad term describing a means of governance by the people through elected representatives. One critique of indirect democracy is that it centralizes power into the hands of a few, thereby increasing the likelihood of corruption in government. Moreover, while some contend indirect democracy eliminates demagoguery, there is little reason to believe the elected representatives are not themselves demagogues, or subject to the persuasive appeal of demagogues
    A form of indirect democracy is delegative democracy. In delegative democracy, delegates are selected and expected to act on the wishes of the constituency. In this form of democracy the constituency may recall the delegate at any time. Representatives are expected only to transmit the decisions of electors, advance their views, and if they fail to do so they are subject to immediate representative recall with only minimal process.

The more familiar representative democracy is a system in which the people elect government officials who then make decisions on their behalf.

Essentially, a representative democracy is a form of indirect democracy in which representatives are democratically selected, and usually harder to recall.

A doctrine often known as Edmund Burke's Principle states that representatives should act upon their own conscience in the affairs of a representative democracy. This is contrasted to the expectation that such representatives should consider the views of their electors - an expectation particularly common in States with strong constituency links, or with representative recall provisions (such as modern British Columbia).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Nice one Joe-cheers very much!
    Thanks to PP to obv

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liam-are you doing AS Govt and Politics too? I just started it here in London. Basically exactly what i'm doing. My homework was to define PArliamentary and Presidential. Tough stuff....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Aye Jofy exactly the same! Aye it is tough, but good fun though What other subjects ya taking?
    Good to meet another exile my age-no offence to Dav/PP/Lopez/Pat/Bill/Sylvo; you guys rule an always will do honest i mean it!
    Last edited by liam88; 16/09/2004 at 9:32 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    I'm off to report ye for cheating...........
    After I just said how coll you are; there's gratitude for ye

Tis conferring to be sure-totally legal!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liam, surely all democracy is a sham design to legitimise old oligrachies while ensuring the establishment of new middle class money in the govering of the country. All to the detriment of those who produce the wealth for others. The establishment of any genuinely working class democratic regime is often undermined by either American imperialism - e.g. Nicarauga, Venezuela or Chilie - or by the stalling of Civil Servants and big business deperate to keep their old ways of life in tact. The Labour administration of 1945 - 1951 being an example of how this happens.
    Now stick that in your essay
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pat O' Banton
    Liam, surely all democracy is a sham design to legitimise old oligrachies while ensuring the establishment of new middle class money in the govering of the country. All to the detriment of those who produce the wealth for others. The establishment of any genuinely working class democratic regime is often undermined by either American imperialism - e.g. Nicarauga, Venezuela or Chilie - or by the stalling of Civil Servants and big business deperate to keep their old ways of life in tact. The Labour administration of 1945 - 1951 being an example of how this happens.
    A Harps fan talking sense. Who'd have thought it?
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire
    A Harps fan talking sense. Who'd have thought it?
    Agreeing with a Derry fan?! I may have to change my whole outlook on life

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by liam88
    What other subjects ya taking?
    Erm, Spanish, Eng Lit and Geography. I have this AVCE after hours style Business Studies thing, which is nearly 100% coursework based

Hate coursework... Amazing that you're my age though, most other exiles are 25+. We're a growing minority

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    pat, sometime su never cease to amaze me with quite how much of a tangent u can go on out of nothing, tis quality .

Amazing that you're my age though, most other exiles are 25+. We're a growing minority
    ya's can add me to that list, glad i'm not the only one under the age of 25 on here. just finished the old a levels taking a nice well earned break/ doss around...sorry i mean gap year.....

tommo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomo
    pat, sometime su never cease to amaze me with quite how much of a tangent u can go on out of nothing, tis quality .

tommo
    Hey now you, you've only been here two minutes and already your trying to kick off Believe the above to be fairly factual and anyway don't you have some skateboarding to be watching

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ya's can add me to that list, glad i'm not the only one under the age of 25 on here. just finished the old a levels taking a nice well earned break/ doss around...sorry i mean gap year.....

tommo

OOOOO NOOOOO. Here come's the bear's.
    And yea doss being the opperative word yer bowsey.
    BTW welcome aboard.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quality! Let's see how many under-25 exiles we can get at the next meet up, was 3 last time , me an ma bros

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hey now you, you've only been here two minutes and already your trying to kick off Believe the above to be fairly factual and anyway don't you have some skateboarding to be watching

meeeow! jeez, and here was me being nice and genuine and u going down that road!! oh and btw, i all seriousness i do concede there to be 'some' fact in what u wrote, just not all of it, but thats just me.

OOOOO NOOOOO. Here come's the bear's.

Lol, i wondered how long it would take b4 the bear stuff started!
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    meeeow! jeez, and here was me being nice and genuine and u going down that road!! oh and btw, i all seriousness i do concede there to be 'some' fact in what u wrote, just not all of it, but thats just me.

Lol, i wondered how long it would take b4 the bear stuff started!
    Right from the start young man.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    fair enough sylvo fair enuff blud
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat O' Banton
    Don't tell me I'm spending a night in France with an Anarchist! Don't forget the Catalan 'soviets' in the SCW, Patricio. Great idea: shame they couldn't agree on anything (except, of course, to not agree on anything).
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast