Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaa 2013

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I didn't know they played hurling in Dublin.
    Must be one of the effects of migration.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    You're a bit slow on this one. They've had a handy hurling team for a good few years now.

Anyway on a far more serious point, which eejit signed off this particular sponsorship?
    FFS.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I didn't know they played hurling in Dublin.
    Must be one of the effects of migration.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/...over-kilkenny/

GTF in...

http://balls.ie/gaa/gallery-the-best...over-kilkenny/
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 30/06/2013 at 6:56 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I suppose we'll see how the mega sponsored, big budget, overhyped team, extracted from the vast pool of available players in the metropolis and county area, are shaping up in today's Leinster sf, versus their trendy, muscle enhanced neighbours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Nothing on London here. I'm shocked. Haven't followed the GAA properly in years, but that's an incredible feat for London to make the Connacht Final.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Nothing on London here. I'm shocked. Haven't followed the GAA properly in years, but that's an incredible feat for London to make the Connacht Final.
    Yep a fantastic achievement, although I'd imagine they would be as many senior football clubs in London than there would be in Leitrim, but a fantastic achievement all the same. No harm to see the provincial championships get a shake up - although If I had my way id have a two tier championship and get rid of the provinces.

Best comment I heard yesterday was:

London - took down the Luftwaffe - now took down Leitrim!

The Hurling Championship is getting just a tad interesting now as in the next two weeks we will have both provincial finals and the small matter of Kilkenny v Tipperary in a knockout match next Saturday night! Not to write Kilkenny off but this is going to be a tough one to turn around. It will be Kilkenny's 3rd week in a row playing and Tipp are bound to be hungry after they threw away the Limerick game. 10/1 the draw with PP - might be worth a tenner.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    The campaign has already started to get the floppy-haired one to Castlebar for the final. As for the championship, if you put Carlow, Leitrim etc into their own competition, they'll never improve - I'd have eight groups of four, one team from each League division, before moving to last 16/QFs according to preference, no need for back doors as everyone gets three matches.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Ha, nice one 'Diablo Rouge'​...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I suppose we'll see how the mega sponsored, big budget, overhyped team, extracted from the vast pool of available players in the metropolis and county area, are shaping up in today's Leinster sf, versus their trendy, muscle enhanced neighbours.
    Phew. We just edged that one.

Must've been all thr hype that got us over the line.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    As for the championship, if you put Carlow, Leitrim etc into their own competition, they'll never improve
    Because the weaker counties have mighty "improvement" in them playing against the big boys every year.

Offaly 0-8 Tyrone 1-27
    Armagh 2-21 Wicklow 0-02

I think that improvement comes by playing teams of similar ability to you. Works in every other sport in the world!

Two championships - 4 groups of 4 in each - top 16 for the all Ireland "Premiership", bottom 16 in the all Ireland "Championship".

Only by winning Championship would you get into the Premiership.

When you think of it - the flagship competition in football is the only GAA competition apart from the colleges Sigerson / Fitzgibbon that is not graded in some way ?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    The campaign has already started to get the floppy-haired one to Castlebar for the final. As for the championship, if you put Carlow, Leitrim etc into their own competition, they'll never improve
    At one point can we expect Tipp, Limerick, Waterford or Clare to win a Munster SFC then?

The archaic provincial system is a problem (in both codes), but football could do with some tiering and hurling could do with some harsher tiering.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Football teams rankings at present?

1 Dublin. 2 Donegal. 3 Mayo. 4 Kerry. 5 Cork. 6 Tyrone.

That's how i see it at present

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Phew. We just edged that one.

Must've been all thr hype that got us over the line.
    Not quite as close as the time ye scraped past Wexford, in extra time.
    Considering your opposition in the Leinster Final have been unmercifully tanked twice by Monaghan already this year, the standard in Leinster is evidently woeful.
    Kildare were primitive yesterday, lumping ball after ball into the waiting arms of the Dublin full back line. Somehow they scored an early flukey goal and that was that.
    The Dubs didn't need decision after decision in their favour from the ref after all. Kildare were like brainless gorillas, their goalkeeper just brainless.
    I was quite content with Dublin dispatching Kildare, in the manner they did.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    They were playing in the Connacht SF actually

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    At one point can we expect Tipp, Limerick, Waterford or Clare to win a Munster SFC then?

The archaic provincial system is a problem (in both codes), but football could do with some tiering and hurling could do with some harsher tiering.
    That was precisely my point, that the provincial championship is doing them little good, but put them in a group against teams they've no negative history, and you've greater potential for upsets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    That was precisely my point, that the provincial championship is doing them little good, but put them in a group against teams they've no negative history, and you've greater potential for upsets.
    Like Offaly's lack of negative history with Tyrone helped them on Saturday!?!

No negative history? Sorry now but that's just twaddle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Because the weaker counties have mighty "improvement" in them playing against the big boys every year.

Offaly 0-8 Tyrone 1-27
    Armagh 2-21 Wicklow 0-02

I think that improvement comes by playing teams of similar ability to you. Works in every other sport in the world!

Two championships - 4 groups of 4 in each - top 16 for the all Ireland "Premiership", bottom 16 in the all Ireland "Championship".

Only by winning Championship would you get into the Premiership.

When you think of it - the flagship competition in football is the only GAA competition apart from the colleges Sigerson / Fitzgibbon that is not graded in some way ?
    By the same token Kildare should be in this lower championship after that tonking? I mean 4-16 to 1-09 is just not good enough.

I completely disagree with the All-Ireland being 2 tiers in both sports. Hurling has been destroyed somewhat and only made the bigger counties better. Football is on the same trajectory and in fact the change will be quickened by the addition of a second tier. Awful idea.

The provincial championships need changing but until there's something approaching a serious overhaul I would keep it as it is.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Are the provincial championships really that important? I know it's a trophy and all, but outside of Munster is the rivalry between the counties that intense?

Personally, I'd be in favour of splitting into the five historic provinces of Ireland and have Meath play with themselves every year.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Are the provincial championships really that important? I know it's a trophy and all, but outside of Munster is the rivalry between the counties that intense?
    Cork Kerry is intense because it's also competitive. Meath v Dublin is an intense rivalry but these days has the magnetic attraction of a limp di*k (not that I know about that one) because Meath are the limp di*k.
    It just so happens that this year there is one competitive game and the other 3 look like strolls for the favoured team.

For the obvious reason, the provincial championship has a bit less value since the back door system was introduced.
    On it's own, winning a provincial title still has value, eg that's all Meath have to crow about in the last 20 years.
    It has practical value for the Ulster and Connacht champions, they have a 2 week rest until the 1/4 finals but the runners-up have only a 6 day turnaround before they have to face the last round of the qualifiers.
    The qualifier's path is a path of penance for losing your provincial championship tie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    We need to stop looking at the qualifiers as qualifiers or the back door.

The provincial championships run in parallel with the All-Ireland Championships.
    Your progress in the Provincial championship dictates where you enter the All-Ireland.

If it's looked at like that then you can see how it works objectively.

I really wish though that somehow teams that previously played each other were kept apart for a while.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast