Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Lawrence

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Liam Lawrence

Anyone know anything more about this lad? How good is he? How does he qualify for Ireland? Could be an all irish front line at Stadium of Light next year(not to mention the rest of the team).

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrosst...p?newsid=12119

only1kilbane
    yeah hes very good player scored 22 goals last year for mansfield though 12 of them pens. Plays either on the wing or centre mid so right mid for sunderland will prob where he will get his game as we have a few centre midfielders. Good to see a good few irish at sunderland again at least mick will give them a good chance. Hopefully elliott and lawrence will prosper this season as well as seanny thornton

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    i saw him play about 18 months ago hes not bad, i wouldnt rate him as a great player but maybe if it goes well for him at sunderland he might improve technically.

Sean Thorntons a great player, he'll be superb in a year or two. Its a shame he walked out of my club under rather mercinary clouds as he'd had a great end to that season, and was basically going to replace Koumas when we sold him to West Brum. In the end the Canadian lad Hume played came thru for us, but Thornton did look like a decent player. I also rated Alan Mahon but he seems to have dissappeared since going to Sporting Lisbon and then leaving.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Liam Lawrence

I really think we should give Liam a call up soon as he qualifies to play for us . Only if to give him a run in a friendly. Hes having a cracking season for Sunderland and offers an attacking treat from the right something we sorely lack. Scored 20 for Mansfield last year ( i know low league ) but has already scored 3 for sunderland this year and has looked the part.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Does he want to play for us or is he just called Liam?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    Does he want to play for us or is he just called Liam?

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Some people are great with there jokes at this time of the morning ! He wants to play for us yeah and with deffo be a good asset rather than knobs like jon macken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    why not , if he is any good then give me a crack. There seems to a lot more players eligible for Ireland IMO. I wonder should Kerr enter the Unity Cup again with a B team ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinedineontour
    Some people are great with there jokes at this time of the morning ! He wants to play for us yeah and with deffo be a good asset rather than knobs like jon macken
    Apologies for possibly unwarranted cynicism, early morning grumpiness! If he genuinely wants to play for us - as opposed to realising that he's not good enough or famous enough for the England team - then I don't see the harm in calling him up for a friendly if he's better than the options already at our disposal.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    there's been noises about Lawrence declaring for Ireland since he was at Mansfield. Worth a shot. We aren't blessed with right sided midfielders and he's only 22 or 23 i think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    what about mc geady last night ? I know he was playing on the left but his favourite side is right. I thought he did quite well !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah he looked good if a bit like willo flood a little weak. The game like that croatia ones are the games where the likes of mcgeady, ellioot flood and lawrence should be introduced . Even just to have them in the squad for the experience first time out and deffo elliott deserves a run. Brian Kerr was at sunderland last night so think elliott call up is on the way and hopefully he had a chat with lawrence. Hes gonna be a great player .. Stephen reid will hopefully come back into the frame as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Personally I think Elliot should start both games and play the full 90 minutes on each game. He is going to be really needed in 2005 !

Mc Geady is only 18 and players that age are not fuly developed physically so I wouldnt worry to much about that. Same with Flood.

I agree Both those players should get a run out from the bench at some stage.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    someone posted this trick by McGeedy on another site, he looks like a decent player, hope he develops his physically presence a bit more.

http://www.fudgiebhoy.co.uk/McGeadyTrick.mpg
    http://www.daviebhoy67.pwp.blueyond...cGeadyTrick.mpg

barglee
    Quote Originally Posted by zinedineontour

what makes Macken a knob........

dunno why people seem to have something against him playing for ireland.
    is he any different that morrison in terms or birth etc......
    only difference i can see is that hes a better striker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barglee
    only difference i can see is that hes a better striker.
    No he isn't and shouldn't be in our squad. Nothing to do with nationality, he just isn't good enough.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    No he isn't and shouldn't be in our squad. Nothing to do with nationality, he just isn't good enough.
    Would have to agree with you. He has a poor workrate on the field, isnt as good in the air as he should be and his technique can be quite poor. Contrast this to Clinton who covers every blade of grass, holds the ball up well and scored his two most recent goals for Ireland with his head.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Lads, Macken has only recently returned to the City first team after 2 years out (he has been injured for the last couple of weeks too), give him time. He got man of the match against Chelsea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Lads, Macken has only recently returned to the City first team after 2 years out (he has been injured for the last couple of weeks too), give him time. He got man of the match against Chelsea.
    Well if he goes on to prove himself then fine but until then he shouldn't be in our squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Well if he goes on to prove himself then fine but until then he shouldn't be in our squad.
    Agreed.

But this is the quote this all started over:

"He wants to play for us yeah and with deffo be a good asset rather than knobs like jon macken"

Macken is proven to be one of the best strikers in the Championship when he played there (injuries have so far halted his progress in the Premiership). Liam Lawrence has started about 3 or 4 games in the championship and is far from proven even at that level.

I'm not saying Macken should be in the squad. Well with Clinton out of the Croatia squad I'd have him in for that including Elliott. He actually has better stats then Clinton too but I'd still have Clinton ahead as Macken hasn't been the same since injury.

/edit: actually what the hell am I saying, I'd have Macken in the squad with everyone available. My four strikers would be Keane-Morrison-Elliott-Macken.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 03/11/2004 at 9:18 PM.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast