Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eunan O'Kane (M Leeds Utd (loaned to Luton Town) b.1990)

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    There was a spell between October and Christmas where O'Kane was struggling to make squads except for cup games, but I was under the impression it was because Howe switched to a 4-4-2 which meant there was one less spot to play for in midfield. He could also have been carrying an injury - I can't remember. Either way, there's no indication he's going to leave Bournemouth, let alone take such a huge risk with his career as dropping to League One.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'From Coleraine to Premier League, Bournemouth's Eunan O'Kane is on rise': http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-31180576.html

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That's a nice set-up for the follow-up article: 'From the Premier League to League One: Bournemouth's Eunan O'Kane on the slide.'

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfast Telegraph View Post
    While he was at Torquay he made the controversial decision to switch his international allegiance from Northern Ireland to the Republic.

O'Kane had played at youth levels and won four under-21 caps for Northern Ireland. Criticism came his way.

At the time he stated: "Anybody that knows me or has grown up with me knows that religion has got nothing to do with it.

"I just felt my opportunity wasn't going to come playing for Northern Ireland and the Republic have come and asked me to come and join them, so it's kind of a no-brainer to take the decision to go to the country that wants you.
    Hang on, now as welcome as he is, and he made the call while a lower league player too, so fair play. Is it fair of him to say his opportunity to play for NI was not forthcoming, having played underage for them and having 4 U21 caps at that point ?

Or did something go on in O'Kanes case, which triggered the switch ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Aye, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have had a place in the IFA's set-up had he stayed. I suspect the opportunity to play for Ireland arose and he instinctively jumped at the chance. I'd be stunned if he didn't grow up supporting us. Up round Feeny/Claudy/Dungiven isn't exactly NI-supporting territory. They're all mad into Gaelic culture, football, hurling, the Irish language, the whole shebang up round that neck of the woods. When he said religion had nothing to do with it, he was possibly pre-empting possible accusations that his decision was sectarian or rooted in some particular dislike of NI. The word "religion" can mean a lot of things or nothing in the north. Like when Shane Duffy referenced his Catholic background in relation to his decision being a perfectly natural one for him, he might has well have said he was from an Ireland-supporting nationalist background instead of using the word "Catholic" as no more than a socio-cultural indicator. There was probably an element of diplomacy there too for O'Kane in saying he just went with whoever wanted him; takes the weight off his shoulders slightly. Could it possibly be true that the IFA didn't even bother trying to convince him to stick with them? I'd find that hard to believe. It's surprising how little abuse and vitriol he had directed towards him despite playing for the IFA up to under-21 level, especially considering what his former Maiden City team-mate Darron Gibson, who declared for us at 16, had to put up with.

That's O'Kane to the left of Gibson there in the back row when they played at Maiden City.

Video interview with O'Kane here, talking to Maiden City in Derry earlier today about the season and his career to date: https://www.facebook.com/maidencitys...74966485850927

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Has Gibson always looked 24??
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Has Gibson always looked 24??
    Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Actually by the time he broke into the team at 21 he looked about 30.

O'Kane has always made it clear he switched nationality for career reasons. Whether he's being totally honest is another mattter, but it's surely less likely to draw scrutiny than saying he plain identifies as Irish.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Knock him down one league ATM. He's had a couple of injuries this season now, and before that there were question marks over his form. They've pushed on a bit without him and he's got left behind a bit.

It's a gut feeling but not an indictment of his ability. I could be wrong but I'd say he'll replicate Judge and go to a leading League One team, as I'm not sure a Championship team will come in for him if he does leave.

I don't think there's much between low end Championship teams and high end League One teams in terms and guarantees they can offer a player anyway.
    Knocking him down one league would put him in the Championship!!!

He was playing early on but seems to have dropped out of favour, don't think that put him
    in league one. A drop from a top of the table club could well see him playing further down the Championship.
    OK league One is a possibility too, but I guess it depends on his current form, he could get back into the first team
    as well if he plays well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/spo..._club_Everton/

O'Kane eager to prove point to Everton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Must be hoping whoever he signs for in League One draws them in the cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-31256853.html

O'Kane retains PL and Irish dream after falling completely out of favor; heart-to-heart with Eddie Howe

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    O'Kane training well prior to the new season. The 98% statistic on those who do not make it back to the top after been let go by premiership academies is very scary!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...ce-346585.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    It actually looked like he might get a real chance to show what he could do this weekend, but then they go and sign Lee Tomlin < week before the opening game. He might still get a chance to capitalize on Harry Arter's absence - Tomlin, I think, generally plays further forward - but after signing Tomlin & Max Gradel, they aren't looking as lightweight on that part of the pitch.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    o'kane gets a few mins for bournemouth who trail 0-1 at home to villa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    O'Kane starts tonight away in Anfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Just been watching him, seems to work hard a cover a lot of ground just been subbed bear the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    The LIverpool goal should have been offside aparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHJ8dPyiI3g

player interfering with play was offside but not the scorer so that is offside under new rules i think
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 17/08/2015 at 8:57 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Good shift is right. Liverpool pressed them in the middle so O'Kane often seemed to be playing quite deep on his side of the centre circle but was assured on the ball and Milner and Henderson didn't get much change out of them at all.

First PL appearance too so there's ample opportunity to improve and it's positive that Howe has him back in his plans if he's willing to start him against Liverpool.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Sorry - I may have missed this but what's the story with Harry Arter? Is he injured or out of favour? I noticed he wasn't even on the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He's injured or, to put it in TOWK terms, he's out of favour.

23. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast