Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Keogh D Forest Green Rovers b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Why do you feel the need to repeat your stance on Keogh every time he's mentioned? I posted an article which was relevant to the guy... not everything has to come back to whether he's fit to do a job for us from time to time or not.

You're previous stance (a liability even at Championship level) has been proven to be miles wide of the mark so I'm not sure you have much credibility when it comes to all-things-Keogh anyway!
    Did I really say liability at Championship level? That was harsh if I did. I just haven't been filled with confidence any time I have seen him play. He's having a good season I decree but so is Alex Pearce at Reading. Both are in the promotion shake-up and are neck in neck in terms of defensive records. Duffy too is getting plaudits, Kiernan more recently. Pretty much all of our defenders are having good seasons. Clark and O'Shea's clubs are having bad seasons but Villa and Sunderland's problems are endemic. Crystal Palace have only conceded 1 more goal than Man Utd. Maybe United should sign Delaney!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    You said Derby are where they are in spite of him, not because of him. I can only presume this means you saw him as a liability.

Yes, he's having a good season. That's all he can do. He could crash and burn at international level or indeed in the Premier League... but then again ye could flourish like Sledge or Delaney.

He's certainly down the pecking order a bit - nobody, including himself, is saying otherwise. No harm in keeping tabs on him though.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Did I really say liability at Championship level? That was harsh if I did. I just haven't been filled with confidence any time I have seen him play. He's having a good season I decree but so is Alex Pearce at Reading. Both are in the promotion shake-up and are neck in neck in terms of defensive records. Duffy too is getting plaudits, Kiernan more recently. Pretty much all of our defenders are having good seasons. Clark and O'Shea's clubs are having bad seasons but Villa and Sunderland's problems are endemic. Crystal Palace have only conceded 1 more goal than Man Utd. Maybe United should sign Delaney!
    I think the point is that you spend a disproportionate amount of time talk talking down Richard Keogh when nobody is even particularly disagreeing with you that much.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Edit: I forgot St Ledger. He has been solid for Ireland.
    Did the doc send you a prompt by PM before your edit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Duffy (standout in a resourceful Yeovil team)
    is this really the case? I have heard little to nothing on his spell with Yeovil other than following their results. Can you link to where are you getting this from?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    is this really the case? I have heard little to nothing on his spell with Yeovil other than following their results. Can you link to where are you getting this from?
    Well he was one of only two Irish born Championship players to feature in the latest issue of Four Four Two magazine's list of the top 50 Football League players (Andy Reid being the other) and there are plenty of articles praising him online.

It's a credit to Duffy and Yeovil that they even have a chance of staying in the league next season. They are a team with League 2 resources (at best) playing in a league filled with teams spending Premier League money.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think the point is that you spend a disproportionate amount of time talk talking down Richard Keogh when nobody is even particularly disagreeing with you that much.
    Another point is that this the Ireland forum is where Irish players who are contracted to foreign clubs, generally have a thread of their own, where progress or the lack of progress is recorded and commented upon. And this discussion can take place without constant reductive, opined references to the player's place in the queue for first team, subs bench, or squad.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Well he was one of only two Irish born Championship players to feature in the latest issue of Four Four Two magazine's list of the top 50 Football League players (Andy Reid being the other) and there are plenty of articles praising him online.
    He was consistently singled out as one of Yeovil's top performers and turned down loan offers from higher-placed teams in favour of sticking it out with them, but did he make the final Four Four Two cut or did he just miss out with an honourable mention?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    He was consistently singled out as one of Yeovil's top performers and turned down loan offers from higher-placed teams in favour of sticking it out with them, but did he make the final Four Four Two cut or did he just miss out with an honourable mention?
    Honourable mention. IIRC O'Toole and Reid made the Top 50 and Sheehan, Duffy and Rhys Murphy were honourable mentions.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    TOWK's favourite player almost scored a cracker today... for the opposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Aul Richie seemed pretty adamant it was Grant's fault. Another clean sheet and playoffs secured nonetheless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'm surprised our media guru isn't all over this...

Villa, Palace & Burnley interested in Richard Keogh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I'm surprised our media guru isn't all over this...

Villa, Palace & Burnley interested in Richard Keogh
    I'm not all over it because it's a non runner from a disreputable website. Aston Villa have just signed Philippe Senderos ffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    They couldn't afford him anyway, he cost Derby £120m

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    In that interview in the independent or examiner he doesnt absolve himself of saying it was his fault, but he doesn't really admit it either and put his hands up.

Footballers nowadays are definitely pretty feeble and egotistical, wouldnt it be very refreshing to hear him come out and say its a terrible mistake im very upset with myself but ill get on with it and hopefully learn from it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Seriously? He told everyone it was his mistake. And if he said it wasn't the only mistake in that passage of play he'd be absolutely right. His teammates also effed up badly at the back.

No doubt some footballers are feeble and egotistical, unlike Pauls beloved GAA players, but seriously, that's a bit of a stretch.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Where in the below text does he actually say "it was my mistake" he dances around it saying a disappointing end to the season and what not but doesnt actually accept full responsibility. That gaa thing is a silly sideswipe and you know it as well,i hate the way they go on as much as the other stuff but they are usually a bit more honest cos they are a bit more country :P

He has now become a regular face in Martin O'Neill's Ireland squad, but the heartache of Derby's defeat in the Championship play-off final still lingers.

It was Keogh's error in the penalty area that gifted QPR's Bobby Zamora with the ball in the last minute of the game and the rest is history.

Despite the hurt, he admitted that coming back into the international set-up in the immediate aftermath has helped ease the pain.

"It's probably the best thing I could have done. Everyone has been great, it's nice to kind of forget about it a little bit and concentrate on football," the 27-year old said.

"It's always going to hurt, I think it's natural. Looking back, it was a disappointing end to the season for the club.

"It shows you when you come around this group (Ireland) of guys how good they are and the management team. They fill me with confidence and I'm feeling good."

Keogh revealed that Richard Dunne offered some words of consolation after the Wembley defeat as he was on the winning side that sealed their promotion back to the Premier League.

"I spoke to Dunney and he was great. He just said he's been there in his career as well, he's had some lows and you'll come back stronger and better," he said.

"To hear words like that from someone like that obviously means a lot. Even the gaffer (Martin O'Neill) and Roy (Keane) have said some really nice things and when people like that say things, it gives you so much confidence.

"You feel on top of the world. It was a disappointing end to a good season really."

With several centre-halves including Dunne and John O'Shea set to miss the upcoming two friendlies against Portugal and Costa Rica in America, Keogh looks set to be reinstated at the heart of Ireland's defence.

Keogh spoke last March after Ireland's 2-1 defeat to Serbia of his relief at being back regularly involved with his country and now that he has continued that run, he is keen to keep it going.

"I think so, yeah," he said after being asked if he now feels at home in the Irish squad.

"I think especially after playing in the Serbia game. My club form is good. I'm back in now and I'm becoming more part of the squad so, hopefully, I can continue staying here.

"There is a lot of competition for places. Hopefully, I can keep fighting for a place and be part of the qualifiers. That's what I'm looking forward to."

Keogh has one year left to run on his current contract with Derby and although he admitted that clubs might be looking at him during the summer, he maintained that he is happy as club captain of the Championship side.

"Obviously, if you ask anyone, you want to be playing in the Premier League and playing against world-class players.

"I've had a solid season, so there might be a bit of interest. But I'm totally focused on whatever happens here (with Ireland).

"I'm sure the club will sort everything out so I can get on with my life and get focused on pre-season."
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    And this bit particularly:

"It's always going to hurt, I think it's natural. Looking back, it was a disappointing end to the season for the club.

THat to me completely removes apportion of blame. Its like a club issue rather than my issue. Perhaps he apologised and said i made an awful mistake in other articles that i missed but he definitely doesnt here and i referred to the piece in my first post.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    And this bit particularly:

THat to me completely removes apportion of blame. Its like a club issue rather than my issue. Perhaps he apologised and said i made an awful mistake in other articles that i missed but he definitely doesnt here and i referred to the piece in my first post.
    What a ridiculous point to focus on and then admit you missed other articles. Search other article before jumping the gun.
    It's a team game and there were also 3 other players equally involved in the defensive howlers leading up to that goal.

And because he doesn't wear a sackcloth and ashes for 2 weeks, you leap to absurd conclusion about his attitude. Perhaps Keogh is good deal more emotionally mature than you.
    He most probably has done all that, gone through the gut wrenching horrors, has been able to put it into perspective and move on.

“Everyone has been great, it’s kind of ‘forget about it a little bit and concentrate on the football’. Looking back, it was a disappointing end to the season for the club but unfortunately, that’s football. I can’t let one thing like that mask over how well I’ve done this season. I feel like I’m in good form. I’m training well; I’m looking forward now to hopefully getting some pitch time.”

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Such modesty from Richard. "I can't let one thing like that mask over how well I've done this season. I feel like I'm in good form.". Sounds like a really humble bloke.

I wonder what he makes of the newspaper reviews of his performance against Serbia.

Other lads have done well in the Championship too and you don't hear this constant self-promotion. Kiernan stepped in at the business end of the season and looked like a natural for Wigan. Duffy looked like a diamond in the rough for Yeovil. Pearce conceded roughly the same amount of goals over a season for Reading and the only reason they weren't in the Playoffs is because they didn't score enough goals.

Again. I would love to know why there is double standards when Keogh makes a mistake like that and when on the flipside of the coin, Ward or McShane make a mistake like that.

Funny how it's only a team game when it suits.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast