Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 480

Thread: Richard Keogh

  1. #21
    Banned TheOneWhoKnocks's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ted Bundy of the Wesht
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    470
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    699
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    When did he complain about missing out on a call up to the squad? Also, Irish player wants to play for country. Shock, horror.
    Several times and that's the point, we get that you want to play International football so does everyone else. Chris McCann and Damien Delaney stick out in my mind as two players that should have forty more caps between them than they do. I have heard them talk about a call up once or twice over the last 6 or 7 years. With Keogh, it has been a routine thing over the last 12 months. I don't understand it. No disrespect but he is not a high profile player. It's ingratiating in my opinion.

  2. #22
    International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Nottingham.
    Posts
    8,846
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,618
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    890
    Thanked in
    616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    How repulsively needy.

    I don't see how it is repulsively needy just because he wants to play, I'd rather that than those who are not so keen.

    As it happens Derby have been on a very good run of late and are promotion candidates, I have been having a look
    at their form and the recently lost a couple of games, turns out Richard didn't play in either!
    Of the last 11 games he played 9 won 2 draws no defeats.

  3. #23
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    11,675
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,297
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,557
    Thanked in
    1,897 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Several times and that's the point, we get that you want to play International football so does everyone else. Chris McCann and Damien Delaney stick out in my mind as two players that should have forty more caps between them than they do. I have heard them talk about a call up once or twice over the last 6 or 7 years. With Keogh, it has been a routine thing over the last 12 months. I don't understand it. No disrespect but he is not a high profile player. It's ingratiating in my opinion.
    What part of "I hope I get a call up to the next squad as I'd love to play for my country" is a complaint?

    Here's what he said in your link -

    "I've had a brief chat with the new manager, so I'm excited about hopefully being back involved," said the former Coventry City centre-back.

    "I think my form has been good this season – and Derby are doing well.

    "When you're near the top of the league, that gives you a better opportunity.

    "As long as I can keep playing well for Derby, hopefully I can get back in the Ireland squad."
    Where's the complaint? He's actually being remarkably sound.
    Last edited by SkStu; 08/02/2014 at 3:29 AM.

  4. Thanks From:


  5. #24
    Capped Player DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    10,161
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,807
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,914
    Thanked in
    1,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    I don't see how it is repulsively needy just because he wants to play, I'd rather that than those who are not so keen.

    As it happens Derby have been on a very good run of late and are promotion candidates, I have been having a look
    at their form and the recently lost a couple of games, turns out Richard didn't play in either!
    Of the last 11 games he played 9 won 2 draws no defeats.
    I was being sarcastic Trickster

  6. Thanks From:


  7. #25
    Banned TheOneWhoKnocks's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ted Bundy of the Wesht
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    470
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    699
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    What part of "I hope I get a call up to the next squad as I'd love to play for my country" is a complaint?

    Here's what he said in your link -



    Where's the complaint? He's actually being remarkably sound.
    Those aren't the soundbites I was on about. For a low profile player, he has been remarkably vocal on the subject of Ireland call ups over the last two seasons (and even before that).

    I'll be honest. "Complaining" may be stretching it but outlining your disappointment and regret at not getting a call up every time you aren't called up begins to grate on the nerves after a while.

    No disrespect to him but when he gets a call up, he is taking someone else's place in the squad, so it is fine to outline your hopes of getting a call up once or twice but when it becomes a recurring thing it is beginning to lack in decorum and respect towards other players. Everyone wants to be in the squad, not everyone will be. You have to just put your head down.

    You would swear we were short on defenders and we were talking about a Premier League stalwart in his early 20s here.

    5 or 6 defenders playing in the Premier League. Pearce, Dunne and St Ledger in the Championship and I'm not St Ledger's biggest fan but he has been solid for Ireland. Hoban, Duffy and O'Brien all coming through.

    IDK why every time an Ireland squad is announced, Keogh is making a big song and dance when there are frankly more pressing issues but it is no use getting riled up over it. I am just taking little things too seriously.

  8. #26
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    17,038
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,707
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,737
    Thanked in
    2,127 Posts
    Jeepers, you joined foot.ie less than 2 months a ago and have over 450 posts. But I think you've only ever made about 3 discrete points. The rest of your posts have been repeating them over and over.

    Keogh is not making a big song and dance. You are!
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 08/02/2014 at 5:16 PM.

  9. Thanks From:


  10. #27
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    11,675
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,297
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,557
    Thanked in
    1,897 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Those aren't the soundbites I was on about. For a low profile player, he has been remarkably vocal on the subject of Ireland call ups over the last two seasons (and even before that).

    I'll be honest. "Complaining" may be stretching it but outlining your disappointment and regret at not getting a call up every time you aren't called up begins to grate on the nerves after a while.

    No disrespect to him but when he gets a call up, he is taking someone else's place in the squad, so it is fine to outline your hopes of getting a call up once or twice but when it becomes a recurring thing it is beginning to lack in decorum and respect towards other players. Everyone wants to be in the squad, not everyone will be. You have to just put your head down.

    You would swear we were short on defenders and we were talking about a Premier League stalwart in his early 20s here.

    5 or 6 defenders playing in the Premier League. Pearce, Dunne and St Ledger in the Championship and I'm not St Ledger's biggest fan but he has been solid for Ireland. Hoban, Duffy and O'Brien all coming through.

    IDK why every time an Ireland squad is announced, Keogh is making a big song and dance when there are frankly more pressing issues but it is no use getting riled up over it. I am just taking little things too seriously.
    You're a strange one. I find that type of passion and desire to play for us admirable. It doesn't grate on my nerves at all and I don't think it lacks decorum and respect for anyone. If he was saying "I hope I get in cos St Ledger is muck" then you'd have no arguments from me.

    Let this one go.

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #28
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,240
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    914
    Thanked in
    613 Posts
    The Derby squad isn't likely to be stacked with international players (couple of Scottish ones and Hendrick). It seems to be the case that Keogh addresses the questions which local media ask. If he didn't, then the club captain wouldn't be serving his 'duties'. His international career receives attention on the basis that he is club captain and is one of few with caps.

    I'd give him a break. His words aren't exactly full of bile.

  13. Thanks From:


  14. #29
    International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Nottingham.
    Posts
    8,846
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,618
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    890
    Thanked in
    616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I was being sarcastic Trickster

    Well you certainly tricked me!!!

  15. Thanks From:


  16. #30
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,899
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,708
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,053
    Thanked in
    3,191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I find it irritating how he keeps saying the same thing before every squad get-together and complaining every time he is left out.
    I find it odd how you don't seem to understand that football players get asked questions and occasionally choose to answer them. I've never seen him complain, only say he hopes to be involved next time around.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Several times and that's the point, we get that you want to play International football so does everyone else. Chris McCann and Damien Delaney stick out in my mind as two players that should have forty more caps between them than they do. I have heard them talk about a call up once or twice over the last 6 or 7 years. With Keogh, it has been a routine thing over the last 12 months. I don't understand it. No disrespect but he is not a high profile player. It's ingratiating in my opinion.
    Chris McCann hasn't even been fit for 40 Irish games, let alone deserving of being capped each and every time. Delaney probably should have more caps but he had better players ahead of him.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 09/02/2014 at 8:30 PM.

  17. #31
    Seasoned Pro SwanVsDalton's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Derry - London - Belfast
    Posts
    3,256
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    765
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,251
    Thanked in
    669 Posts
    'Richard Keogh? Booo! He talks about playing for Ireland all the time, why can't he let it go?!'

    'Stephen Ireland? Call him up! His rarely talks about playing for Ireland, fair play to him.'

    - TheOneWhoKnocks

    Sorry TOWK, but there are strange lines to be drawn between your arguments...although in fairness they do all point to a large, defaced picture of Giovanni Trapattoni, relaxing in a Milanese villa.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

  18. Thanks From:


  19. #32
    Banned TheOneWhoKnocks's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ted Bundy of the Wesht
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    470
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    699
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    'Richard Keogh? Booo! He talks about playing for Ireland all the time, why can't he let it go?!'

    'Stephen Ireland? Call him up! His rarely talks about playing for Ireland, fair play to him.'

    - TheOneWhoKnocks

    Sorry TOWK, but there are strange lines to be drawn between your arguments...although in fairness they do all point to a large, defaced picture of Giovanni Trapattoni, relaxing in a Milanese villa.
    Jeff Hendrick and Conor Sammon don't seem to have a propensity to be asked questions about Ireland with the same frequency as Keogh. For that matter, neither does any other Irish/Irish eligible player; but I accept what ye are saying. He is club captain (I believe) and maybe Derby journos have an intense interest in Keogh's chances of being an Ireland squad player.

    Ireland has talked about playing for Ireland a lot recently and in fairness, he is a higher profile and more talented player.

    Trapattoni deserves credit for what he done well and what he didn't do well.

    For the stability he brought in the first few months of his reign, he deserves credit. For qualifying for Euro 2012 he deserves credit. For making Ireland hard to beat, until the wheels started to fall off in his second campaign, he deserves credit.

    For our embarrassing performance at Euro 2012, he doesn't. For our embarrassing WC 2014 qualifying campaign, he doesn't. For his lazy approach to some integral facets of modern management, he doesn't. For his belligerence, he doesn't.

    I would even give him some credit for Ireland's performance in Paris but he didn't have anything to do with that because it's common knowledge that the players revolted against his tactics.

    I can really be impartial but Trapattoni gave his critics a lot of ammunition in the last two years of his reign and it's unfortunate for him as well as us.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 09/02/2014 at 9:02 PM.

  20. #33
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    17,038
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,707
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,737
    Thanked in
    2,127 Posts
    Just let it go on Richard Keogh. You're becoming obsessed.

    As for Trap, you're right. His tenure had both positives and negatives. I think we all know what they were.

    One thing struck me in the last few days, when you suggest that Stephen Ireland may have been deterred by Trap's long ball game. I think that's tosh: Stephen Ireland was only deterred by his lack of interest in playing for Ireland.

    But just to add further nuance to your point: Trap really only became a long ball merchant in his last 2 years or so. A key feature of his early years was of a rigid back 6 with only the wide guys and the front two having any real attacking license. The role of the CMs was to shield the back 4 and to feed the attacking 4. So while Stephen Ireland may not have had a role to play in this system, he certainly wasn't deterred by our long ball game at the time you suggested he might have been.

    For some reason Trap abandoned the back 6 / front 4 philosophy in favour of, well, hardly any philology at all. Perhaps he didn't even trust our players to be obedient workhorses anymore. Sammon over Doyle, give me strength...
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 09/02/2014 at 9:15 PM.

  21. #34
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,899
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,708
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,053
    Thanked in
    3,191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

    But just to add further nuance to your point: Trap really only became a long ball merchant in his last 2 years or so.
    Really?

  22. #35
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    17,038
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,707
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,737
    Thanked in
    2,127 Posts
    I think so, as per the rest of my para 4 above.

    There may have been long balls before, but in the last 2 years - less even, and most notably Sweden and Austria at home - plan A and plan B was long ball. This was absolutely not the case in the first part of his tenure. As I said, the way I saw it was a compact back 6, two attacking wide players and two normal forwards.

    As Junior said ages back, there'll always be huff and puff in our football, but in the last campaign in the key home games there was only huff and puff. There's a difference between resorting to hoofing it when under the cosh, and hoofing it as part of the game plan.

  23. #36
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,479
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,580
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,522
    Thanked in
    1,720 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    'Richard Keogh? Booo! He talks about playing for Ireland all the time, why can't he let it go?!'

    'Stephen Ireland? Call him up! His rarely talks about playing for Ireland, fair play to him.'

    - TheOneWhoKnocks

    Sorry TOWK, but there are strange lines to be drawn between your arguments...although in fairness they do all point to a large, defaced picture of Giovanni Trapattoni, relaxing in a Milanese villa.
    It's the dumbest line of argument we've had since the Doc, but at least it was obvious the Doc was parodying himself, intentionally or not.

  24. Thanks From:


  25. #37
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,899
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,708
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,053
    Thanked in
    3,191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think so, as per the rest of my para 4 above.

    There may have been long balls before, but in the last 2 years - less even, and most notably Sweden and Austria at home - plan A and plan B was long ball. This was absolutely not the case in the first part of his tenure. As I said, the way I saw it was a compact back 6, two attacking wide players and two normal forwards.

    As Junior said ages back, there'll always be huff and puff in our football, but in the last campaign in the key home games there was only huff and puff. There's a difference between resorting to hoofing it when under the cosh, and hoofing it as part of the game plan.
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that at all, although when we had Duff and Lawrence we did tend to hoof it an awful lot more along the flanks rather than going straight to Doyle/Walters/whoever for a knock-down. Having less robust wingers like McGeady meant we could no longer fire it up the flank and expect to retain possession, so it changed to the winger picking up knock-downs, but we were still operating on the same 6-4 formation.

  26. #38
    Banned TheOneWhoKnocks's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ted Bundy of the Wesht
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    470
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    699
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It's the dumbest line of argument we've had since the Doc, but at least it was obvious the Doc was parodying himself, intentionally or not.
    It's not the dumbest line of argument, geysir. You just have a bit of an obsession with me ever since I voiced an opinion about rotating Robbie Keane; accusing me of manipulating statistics and then doing the exact same thing; accusing me of posting "garbage" when I posted a news article linking Pilkington with Swansea only for Swansea to launch an official bid days later; refusing to let go the fact that I quoted a headline referring to "out of favour" Pilkington; making daft comments on threads about Long/Keane that have nothing to do with the topic all to get a reaction.

    You know I am pretty relaxed about these things but the things you are saying i.e. "dumbest" are getting pretty unnecessary. If you have no respect for other people's opinions then maybe you should just take the high road and ignore them?

  27. #39
    Capped Player DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    10,161
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,807
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,914
    Thanked in
    1,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    You just have a bit of an obsession with me
    We're all obsessed with you TOWK. You have rocked foot.ie to it's foundations.

  28. #40
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,899
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,708
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,053
    Thanked in
    3,191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    We're all obsessed with you TOWK. You have rocked foot.ie to it's foundations.
    Poor grammar. I nominate DeLorean as the next foot.ie fall guy. TOWK is off the hook

  29. Thanks From:


Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pip Keogh...
    By Xlex in forum Longford Town
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05/05/2017, 8:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •