Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Richard Keogh D Forest Green Rovers b.1986

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I became curious about Richie and as I have been in that 'not knowing' space many time previous, I remembered that I could do a search on the WWW.
    Search term (not my finest) <Richard Keogh why not learn to drive car>

lo and behold, up popped an article from the Daily Star
    Derby ace Richard Keogh eyeing dream double of promotion...and passing his driving test

I gather that both Richie's dreams remain unfulfilled.

Keogh is desperate to land a double and crack open the bubbly by passing his driving test into the bargain.

Keogh said: "I'm trying to learn, but I'm miles away from taking my test.

"I'm quite happy for the boys to chauffeur me around at the moment.

"When I was younger, everyone was getting behind the wheel, but to be honest it just didn't appeal to me.

"Now that I'm a bit older, I'm thinking 'I should've done that!'

"But yes, I need to start driving. I think it's just a mental block for me."

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    One thing about this story that I find highly unusual is that Keogh doesn't drive. How can a professional footballer not drive? They love their cars, most of them. But surely getting to training every morning, going to different team nights, exercises etc. it's a pain in the hole not driving.
    Very unusual!
    Heard an interesting story recently about a reserve player getting a premier league chance due to Covid. Only on about a grand a week, but when he went up to the first for a few weeks they all had drivers who'd bring them training and wait around to bring them home. Came back to the reserves paying 500 quid of his grand a week to a driver and hasn't got a sniff of first team since.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    could be true, but why would first team players be paying drivers to being them to/from training - that's adding 25 people (if each member of the first team squad has a driver) to their secure bubble
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 27/01/2021 at 11:24 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    could be true, but why would first team players be paying drivers to being them to/from training - that's adding 25 people (if each member of the first team squad has a drive) to their secure bubble
    That's a good point, I should have asked that question, but I've no doubt it's true.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    the inevitable outcome of his sacking.....
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021...hearing-finds/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I had read somewhere at the time that there was a contrivance to the “sacking” as a book keeping exercise. Ultimately everyone knew he would be compensated to his full entitlement. Maybe more. But it free’d up some finances in the immediate term and the source of the settlement comes from different budget because of how its awarded, or something to that effect...

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Richard has signed for Blackpool on a one-year deal, thereby playing in the EFL Championship again. (BBC Sport, 17 July).

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    This is an amazing interview with Richard Keogh
    https://amp.theguardian.com/football...king-blackpool

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'm not sensing much regret at his own lack of personal responsibility. It's all very - "poor me". Not realising that his teammate had drink taken, or at least very possibly had drink taken, seems unlikely at best.

I agree he was treated poorly, or at least disproportionately, by the club but I wouldn't stray too far down the victim route. Sympathy will be in even shorter supply now that he's recouped a couple of million for his troubles.

I've no doubt he went through some dark times since the incident, but ultimately it was an unfortunate situation largely of his own making.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I wonder if he got his payout into his hand before Derby went into administration. If he didn't he might be an unsecured creditor and might never get it, or only a very small percentage.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I'm not sensing much regret at his own lack of personal responsibility. It's all very - "poor me". Not realising that his teammate had drink taken, or at least very possibly had drink taken, seems unlikely at best.

I agree he was treated poorly, or at least disproportionately, by the club but I wouldn't stray too far down the victim route. Sympathy will be in even shorter supply now that he's recouped a couple of million for his troubles.

I've no doubt he went through some dark times since the incident, but ultimately it was an unfortunate situation largely of his own making.
    I never really saw how keogh had any responsibility in this in any sort of legal way that would allow your contract be terminated. Unless his contract stipulated that if you got injured doing anything other than football you wouldn't be paid then it was a crazy concept. Even the responsibility to wear a seat belt that is on the driver , as the driver your the one to get the penalty points if your passenger isn't wearing a seat belt not them. For the lads to leave him in the car that's just an unbelievable act they were so lucky not to go to jail. Really hope he has that cash received from derby at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I never really saw how keogh had any responsibility in this in any sort of legal way that would allow your contract be terminated.
    And so it proved. The legal bit is only one side of it though, he messed up. It happens, people make mistakes, but I think he'd come across a lot better if he took more responsibility for his own misjudgement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    This is how I'm reading it as well. Keogh was filmed in the pub with Lawrence and Bennett so "“I hadn’t spent the evening with Tom" is subjective to how you define "spent the evening". But adding to that there is an oddity as to why Keogh who admittedly "always got on well with Lawrence" would not be spending the evening with Lawrence on a team night out .... ??

Then came the ill-fated decision. Keogh had missed his lift home but his teammate Tom Lawrence was in his Range Rover, keys in the ignition, ready to go.
    Anybody know why Keogh missed his initial lift home?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts

I'd have a degree of sympathy for Keogh here. Many moons ago, I did exactly the same thing as he did - took a lift home from the pub from a friend who I thought was sober because she was driving. Turned out, she'd had a drink, and while I got home safely, she wrote off the car a week later after giving someone a lift to the airport after drinking.
    Since then, I refuse point blank to get in the car if I know they've had a drink
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 02/10/2021 at 3:26 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Not realising that his teammate had drink taken, or at least very possibly had drink taken, seems unlikely at best.
    My thoughts too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    This tut-tutting stuff is ridiculous lads, how would you feel if Keogh had been killed by Lawrence, his own fault? He was treated shockingly by his team mates who left him for dead, and then by his club who abandoned him to try save a bit of cash.Luckily he was too tough for them and was fortunate to have a great woman backing him up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think most agree he was treated badly. And it's surely a given that everybody would have been devastated for him had he been killed! That doesn't absolve him of all responsibility, which as the senior player and club captain the expectations would have been much higher. I think he could at least acknowledge that too. If that's tut-tutting, fair enough.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I think most agree he was treated badly. And it's surely a given that everybody would have been devastated for him had he been killed! That doesn't absolve him of all responsibility, which as the senior player and club captain the expectations would have been much higher. I think he could at least acknowledge that too. If that's tut-tutting, fair enough.
    I think that's very harsh. It's victim blaming. He was awfully treated by his team mates leaving him unconscious in a car that could have gone on fire then sacked by the club who kept on those very same players who also were drink driving .

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I think that's very harsh. It's victim blaming. He was awfully treated by his team mates leaving him unconscious in a car that could have gone on fire then sacked by the club who kept on those very same players who also were drink driving .
    He was awfully treated, absolutely. But I also struggle to believe he had no idea Lawrence was over the limit as they'd been in the pub together for ages, even if not at the same table. I mean, did he not even ask Lawrence how many had he had? That's all really. I struggle to believe in his incredulity at Lawrence being drunk. But everything else is pretty damning of his teammates.

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    He was awfully treated, absolutely. But I also struggle to believe he had no idea Lawrence was over the limit as they'd been in the pub together for ages, even if not at the same table. I mean, did he not even ask Lawrence how many had he had? That's all really. I struggle to believe in his incredulity at Lawrence being drunk. But everything else is pretty damning of his teammates.
    That's fair , amazing effort to get himself back playing at a good level ascwell

27. Thanks From:

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast