Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Keogh D Forest Green Rovers b.1986

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Martin O'Neill was sparing in any praise of Duffy against Costa Rica. I think he said he needs to improve his footwork. I don't see why it's a crime for Keogh not to single out Duffy for praise if the boss doesn't either.

I'll concede that he does appear very happy to talk about himself though. Not a big deal for me really.

My view on Keogh is that in the Championship he's great at winning high balls in blood and thunder games. Unfortunately those games don't happen in international football and the modern CB needs good feet too. I don't think Keogh is a good enough athlete, reader of the game or all round footballer to face fast technical players who can pull defences all over the place. The Championship is fast but quite one dimensional and he's very at home at that level.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Martin O'Neill was sparing in any praise of Duffy against Costa Rica. I think he said he needs to improve his footwork. I don't see why it's a crime for Keogh not to single out Duffy for praise if the boss doesn't either.

I'll concede that he does appear very happy to talk about himself though. Not a big deal for me really.

My view on Keogh is that in the Championship he's great at winning high balls in blood and thunder games. Unfortunately those games don't happen in international football and the modern CB needs good feet too. I don't think Keogh is a good enough athlete, reader of the game or all round footballer to face fast technical players who can pull defences all over the place. The Championship is fast but quite one dimensional and he's very at home at that level.
    Very good post.

At international level you need a bit extra to your game.

Some players are more suited to international football, despite the club or league they play in.

Clark, Delaney, Keogh, Pearce and Wilson don't have that.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    Very good post.

Some players are more suited to international football, despite the club or league they play in.

But St Ledgers does?
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post

Subtle.

You're getting better at this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Last edited by DeLorean; 14/08/2014 at 1:44 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    "He's witnessed some terrible atrocity" haha. He just saw Russell Brand do his act.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Derby County look at new deals for Richard Keogh and Chris Martin

DERBY County are looking at new contracts for skipper Richard Keogh and last season’s top scorer, Chris Martin.

After striker Jamie Ward put pen to paper on a two-year deal yesterday, head coach Steve McClaren said: “We have got two or three to go.

“I think the club is looking to do something with Richard Keogh and Chrissy Martin.

"We cannot have players looking over their shoulder, we need them looking forward.”

Keogh is in the final year of his contract, as is Martin, although his deal also has a 12-month option.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    A good championship player.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Keogh still has the thousand yard stare after his gaffe in the Playoff final and being given the runaround by Portugal.

He is the oldest looking 28 year old I have ever seen.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Keogh still has the thousand yard stare after his gaffe in the Playoff final and being given the runaround by Portugal.

He is the oldest looking 28 year old I have ever seen.
    He's the youngest looking 58 year old I've ever seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That's a spectacularly selective reading from the situation. From what I can see of the posts on the final few pages, Keogh was poor for at least two of the goals (another said he was a standout player for all the mopping up he had to do for his defensive partners) and the Mail described the second as "an uncharaceristic Keogh gaffe". A bad day at the office no doubt, and I wouldn't make excuses for him. Seems to be a feeling on the Derby forum that Buxton needs a rest to get over his injury, which you'd think might be a factor in the misfiring defence.

I mean I'm not bending over backwards to defend him here, but there was a certain inevitability about you showing up in this thread to cast the most critical light possible on Keogh's performance, following three impeccable clean sheets.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 20/08/2014 at 1:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Spectacular is a bit of an overstatement to be honest. Using similar nitpicking logic, you could defend any bad performance. I never seen anyone being so charitable with Ward, McShane or Sammon peculiarly enough. Maybe it's just because Keogh is my bete-noir.

Going back to the tail end of last season, he has been noticeably or partly at fault for two goals in the Watford game, responsible for the QPR winner in the Playoff final, Costa Rica's other chance that they didn't score in the 1-1, (at least) 4 goals in the Portugal game and all 3 goals in the Charlton game. It's some record for a man of his confidence.

You can divide the blame all you want, and maybe I am being harsh, but you could equally say that in those 2 League games the Derby defence was not tested (which I read on same forum); and the other game was in the cup against a struggling League Two side.

Edit: I believe it was Stutts who said that he looks alright when he is bringing the ball out of defence and that is something that seems to reflect itself in match reports and on the forum, but equally, he seems to have a propensity for getting dominated/outmuscled, ran ragged and committing rash fouls; a somewhat recurring theme from what I/we've seen in recent memory.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 20/08/2014 at 2:10 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You haven't been here long enough then. I spent too much of my time defending Stephen Ward after the game in Russia when he correctly followed Arshavin on his numerous infield runs.

Nobody's denying Keogh was at fault for the QPR goal or that he had a couple of bad games for Ireland in the summer, it's your myopic insistence that he and he alone is responsible for virtually every goal his team concedes that grates. You have attributed 10 of the past 15 goals Keogh's teams have conceded directly to his ineptitude, in spite of any mitigating factors including his defensive partners and the ingenuity of the opposition. It's ridiculous.

And then you say "maybe I'm being harsh"! As if there's a remote possibility your completely objective and constructive drive for perfection may have led you to stray momentarily into the realms of excessive criticism, a field that has hitherto never felt the sweet embrace of your velvet footwear.

AGAIN, I'm not a huge fan of Keogh, but goodness gracious I would really hate to cut you off at an intersection. My life wouldn't be worth living. And god forbid I had previously expressed confidence in my driving to a newspaper columnist who had specifically questioned me about my steering.

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Players like Keogh in the International squad long yet one of our better defenders struggling to find a club after injury.

Crazy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    You can divide the blame all you want, and maybe I am being harsh, but you could equally say that in those 2 League games the Derby defence was not tested (which I read on same forum); and the other game was in the cup against a struggling League Two side.
    So when Derby concede it's Keogh's fault and when they keep clean sheets it's due to the opposition being poor. Okay.

McClaren said: "You can't win a game if you concede three goals. We've had three clean sheets before this, but one of our strengths has let us down.

"One of our strengths", he says... crazy fool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I didn't say every clean sheet is down to the opposition being poor. I said that following that line of argument is similar to passing the buck for Keogh mistake's. Whether they are team errors or not, and I don't think many of them are, he is at least partly at fault and doing something wrong for all of these goals - whether it is positioning, being outmuscled (I remember being mocked when I said he lacks dominance), not attacking the ball and rashly committing fouls.

Go through the highlights for all of those games I mentioned again and how many of the goals am I really being too harsh on him for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I would still laugh at you for saying he lacks dominance at that level. It's probably his best attribute. Premier League and International football would be a lot tougher ask obviously, a simple point lost on nobody.

I have no intention of going through all of the highlights, most of which I have already seen anyway. It would be just as easy to compile a video of all the good things he's done in that period, but that wouldn't tell the full story either.

The recurring point is that you're completely obsessed. Let it go.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He did have a stinker last night though!

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Here are the goals from last night. Not tight enough for the first, turned inside out for the second and ball watching for the third.

25. Thanks From:

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast